• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two Female Dogs?

Lane

Hey guys, looking for your honest opinion...

My wife and I have a 3yr old female black lab and for the last year have been fostering dogs for a local rescue. We have had a small number of dogs pass through our house and we currently have a female yellow lab mix that is about 10 months old. She was found running a rez road in northern MN. The black lab is predominately my dog as we are usually out fishing or hunting together. The yellow lab has taken a shinning to my wife; which she is extremely excited about.

Last night my wife brought up the idea of adopting the yellow lab. I like the dog and believe she is very trainable.

BUT...I am personlly very nervous about having two female dogs. Right now the dynamics are great and the two have been caught more than once sharing a dog bed. However, based on what I have read there is inevitably a power struggle between 2 females in a pack and i am not sure that is something I want to go through. I don't want to ruin either one of the dogs temperment or personality. That being said this dog deserves a good home and could be a great companion for my wife.

So, what has been your experiences with a second dog. Specifically, 2 females.

I haven't personally owned 2 females at the same time but know many people who do including a close friend who's dogs I'm around a lot (one is a yellow lab the other is a lab mix of some sort). I've never seen any sort of an issue or power struggle. Mostly I just see them playing or sleeping together.

If you haven't seen any issues so far I'm kind of doubt you will.

Adopt her and make her and your wife happy. Next best thing to ONE happy female in the house is TWO happy females.

Have done it in the past and the only down side was TWO crazy, wild, goofy and unstoppable 5 month old dogs at the same time. Loved 'em both. You will too.

I have had two sisters from same litter (golden, lab, husky mix) since they were born. Never a problem, except they would sometimes get pack mentality when another dog was around (only if they were on a lease...) but no serious problems. Had to put down one year and half ago after 11 years, but still have the 13 yo. They never fought other than playing, didn't eat each others food, though some minor growls now and then when bones were introduced. Both were spayed.

I would not be afraid to have two.

picked up my 2nd female when the old one was 7. They are now 9 and 2. They are the best of friends and even though we have 2 beds, they usually both sleep on the same one. That being said, the older one never has shown any signs of jealousy and I knew she would be fine. But one time we took her over to my buddies house that has a little more aggresive female and she would not stop growling. Depends on the dog.

Thank you very much guys. Having been a daily visitor to HSO for a couple years now, I have come to trust your opinions. I will let you all know how this shakes out.

That being said, I think my wife is getting to the point where i might be ousted before the new dog would be.

Hey Lane -- how are things going with training that black lab of yours? Just curious whether you got in on those retriever classes at all last fall and (if so) what you thought of them. I think retrievers were Fridays, but that interfered with our hunting travel schedule for the weekends. I know that we can get some retrieving work in the obedience classes, so we went on Wednesday nights all season. So, if you did sign up, we probably didn't see you. Any chance we'll be seeing that yellow pup at a class in the future??

Oh, and to stay on topic and answer your question about an "inevitable" power struggle between two females, I'll just echo what everyone else has already said -- if you haven't had a problem yet, you likely won't at all. Both of my dogs are spayed female lab mixes (4 years apart in age) and the only issue we ever have is rough-housing. Just treat 'em both equally and give them each a "job". The best dog advice I've ever received: A tired dog is a good dog! Have fun with that new pup! And good on you for being foster "parents" for those rescue dogs!! I'd really like to get into that someday...

The training with the black lab has been going great! Impressive memory!

We took a bunch of the retriever classes and then needed to take a session off, as we just have too much going through the holidays. My wife and I fully intend to get back to the classes in January...maybe with a yellow lab too...

Another house with two female GSP's without problems.

I think the problems can arise when you add a new member to the pack as they jocky for ranking in the pack. Not sure that it matters if it is a male or female.

Sounds like she is already in the pack without issues so go for it.

Well, as of this last weekend it is final...I now have two dogs.

My wife convinced me that she couldn't live without the yellow lab; and as part of the negotiation I get a new shotgun!

Win-Win in my book.

We have three females (2 bassets and 1 yellow lab). We have a HUGE dominance issue with the oldest basset and the lab. Basset is only a year older but believes she should be in charge. Started with some wierd vocalizaion from the basset one time and the hackles raised on the lab and they literally went at it in the family room. It hasn't gotten any better and according to our vet the thing with females is that neither is likely to give in on this whereas males will fight it out and then let it rest.

We literally have to do a "dance" at all times in the house with them separated by a door to prevent the battles. Really stinks and takes a bit more work but the kids don't want me to give away the lab and understand that the basset is the issue. Seeing a 60# basset hanging out of the labs mouth by the neck ain't a real pretty sight. Especially when the basset is the wife's dog.

Well, as of this last weekend it is final...I now have two dogs.

My wife convinced me that she couldn't live without the yellow lab; and as part of the negotiation I get a new shotgun!

Win-Win in my book.

That is a Win-Win!

New dog and new shotgun.

We had 2 female labs for 12 years and not one fight between them.

Now we have a female lab and a female Gsp and no fights, but the gsp always tries to do things to pi$$ off the lab.

In my opinion, it is the dog owner that sets the tone. If you don't allow it and provide correction when it first happens then you should be able to head it off.

If showing attitude is allowed then it can only fester into other things because the dog is being allowed to show its dominance over another in the pack...that is generally the alpha (or owners job).