• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lure to Line Connection

amateurfishing

i am hopeing to improve my success rate a little bit this year by using lures more appropritately. i have always used snap swivel tied to line then lure on swivel. is this always the best or when is it not?

i think i have a pretty good range of lures, ratsos, swedish pimple, slick jig, darter, etc. also when using lures like darter or slick jig is a heavier rod prefereed (one with more backbone) so when u stop jigging the rod tip does not continue to bounce for more accurate jigging technique?

thx in advance

I use fast snaps for a lot of my ice fishing. A lot smaller than a swivel snap. Sometimes I tie direct to a jig if I'm in a warm shack. But that can be difficult if you're retieing outside in cold weather.

I used to use the no tie fast snaps but have done away with them and now tie direct. I fish for crappie and stream trout and use horizontal jigs probably 90% of the time. For this application I feel that tying direct is the best method. For lures that twist or even a spoon I can see where a swivel would be a better option. I think the best answer to the OPs question is that it depends on what you're using at the time. Some lures(horizontal jigs) will sit more naturally or as they're designed better if tied direct. Lures that spin or twist will be better having a swivel so that they don't twist your line. A vertical jig should do just fine with those small no ties.

If you have a jig that sits horizontal, tie direct. If it sits vertical, use a fast snap. If you are using something that will induce line twist like a rapala, use a swivel.

Pretty much exactly what I follow as well.

I like to tie direct also. I usually have a small barrel swivel tied about 18" to 24" inches above. I almost always use a polymer knot. You can tie them quick and use a minimal amount of line. I can usually retie several time before I need to change the leader.

I avoid using any snaps on the lure. If I am using a lure that will tend to twist my line I may use a snap some distance from the lure and then use a length of line so I can tie directly to the lure.

Can't believe how many use fast snaps, I jig with Fireline and I tried fast snaps last year, They would strighten out on the hook set! But then I broke 4 rods last year setting the hook too.

Dang Sea Hage. I need to fish for what you are fishing for. smile