• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Blaze Orange Requirements

wannafish2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how I read it, I think it is pretty unambiguous. Archers don't need to wear blaze orange, unless they are explicitly hunting for small game from a non-stationary position.

Ironically, I think they put the qualification in there about stationary position to make it clearly legal to shoot small game from your deer stand without wearing blaze orange. I'm sure they had a lot of folks asking if it was legal to shoot squirrels with their bow while sitting on their deer stand in full camo.

Ok so I am in my bow stand and legally shoot a small game animal, lets say a grouse for example. So I decide to head home for the day and I am walking out of the woods with grouse in my hang and no orange on, do a get a ticket? Do they have to catch me in the act of shooting an animal without orange to write a ticket? Or do I have to somehow prove I shot the grouse from my stand? Or will others just shoot small game on the move and then tell the CO they were in a stand? It shouldn't be all that complicated but this seems to cause more problems than it solves.

I would say if you shot a grouse out of your stand, when walking out carrying the grouse, you better have some blaze orange on. If nothing else, just to CYA.

But I should be legal, disappointing some of these laws leave so many questions and very little answers.

I really wish the DNR would just post their plans for new laws here. We could over-analize the heck out of them and they could probably write better laws after we tear them apart.

Wow, I think internet forums are the cause for confusing laws not the laws themself crazy.

It is always good to try and fully understand the regs, but it will always get confusing when one applies SMALL GAME REGULATIONS to archery deer hunting regulations. Archery(deer) was added only as an EXCEPTION to the law NOT AN INCLUSION.

The question of carrying out small game after taking from a stationary position is a good one, I hope burden of proof would still fall on the peace officer.

Hey, at least deer are color blind, so a little blaze wouldn't hurt a thing!

I'm not takng small game so I will walk to and from my stand in full camo and I will be legal, unless a firearm season is open where I hunt, then I will have some orange on. shoot a sqirrel?? that monster buck might be 20 yards behind it. ;>)

Then if a co wanted to you could be issued a citation for non-compliance.I called my local co and asked for clarification.This is a new law this year which was passed with the monster omni-bus game bill.I think the law is silly but please don't shoot the messenger. c63

Help us out here c63, where exactly does it say that? Here is the text I found in the reg book. All I see is you need orage while hunting small game and you can shoot small game without orage from the stand. No where does it state you need orange while traveling to and from your stand.

Page 2

Blaze orange requirements

• Blaze orange is not required for those taking small game archery deer hunters while stationary. See page 24.

Page 24

BLAZE ORANGE REQUIREMENTS

Small Game Seasons: You may not take small game unless a visible portion of at least one article of clothing above the waist is blaze orange, except when hunting wild turkeys, migratory birds, raccoons, predators, when hunting by falconry, trapping, or while hunting deer by archery while stationary.

Here's a tip for these situations:

Call your local CO.

Be careful when using certain terminology. The book's definition of "taking" is extremely broad, and probably could be argued in court to include foot travel to and from your stand. The word "hunting" isn't defined in the book, but it could also be easily argued to include foot travel to and from a stand.

Also in response to:

All I see is you need orage while hunting small game and you can shoot small game without orage from the stand.

Where does it say you don't need orange to shoot small game from the stand? I see exceptions for specific small game species, and exceptions for stationary deer hunting via archery.

Mainbutter, it clearly states you may take small game without wearing blaze orange if you are archery hunting deer from a stationary position

And you are right, it *could* be argued that taking small game includes walking to a deer stand, but it won't be. And even if some overzealous CO gave you a ticket, it wouldn't hold up in court, if it made it to court and WAS argued. Especially considering the overwhelming majority of archery deer hunters are not going after small game in the first place, walking to their stand with a bow, without an arrow nocked, without a release in hand, to hunt deer rather than small game.

i read the regs but here is my opinion on wearing blaze orange during smallgame or big game, turkey, or varimints or whatever. i would at least wear an orange cap or thin vest during warmer hunting weather and of course blaze orange during firearms season. just a good idea to be seen regardless of the hunting season. good luck.

The way I read it, if you want to shoot small game on the way to your stand, you'll need a visible portion of blaze orange on. If you are just walking to your stand, none is required.

BLAZE ORANGE REQUIREMENTS

Small Game Seasons: You may not take small game unless a visible portion of at least one article of clothing above the waist is blaze orange, except when hunting wild turkeys, migratory birds, raccoons, predators, when hunting by falconry, trapping, or while hunting deer by archery while stationary.

Deer Season: Also, you may not hunt or trap during any open season where deer may be taken by firearms (including special hunts, early antlerless, youth seasons, and muzzleloader) under applicable laws and ordinances unless the visible portion of your cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves, is blaze orange. Red is not a legal color, except for those who qualify under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993. Blaze orange includes a camouflage pattern

of at least 50 percent blaze orange within each square foot. This restriction does not apply to migratory waterfowl hunters on waters or in a stationary shooting location or to trappers on waters. Times and zones for firearms are shown in the map on next page. Muzzleloader season is open statewide, except for closed areas (see page 88).

So why am I confused? I see under Blaze Orange Requirements and Small Game seasons that deer hunting by archery while stationalry is excluded from orange. But the next line starts out as Deer Season and says you may not hunt without orange during firearms seasons of any kind...moving or stationary. Guess I need to call the DNR

Especially considering the overwhelming majority of archery deer hunters are not going after small game in the first place, walking to their stand with a bow, without an arrow nocked, without a release in hand, to hunt deer rather than small game.

I ALWAYS have my release on & if there's any chance of running into a deer I have an arrow nocked as well, but I certainly don't want to stalk a deer wearing blaze orange...

Ok so I am in my bow stand and legally shoot a small game animal, lets say a grouse for example. So I decide to head home for the day and I am walking out of the woods with grouse in my hang and no orange on, do a get a ticket? Do they have to catch me in the act of shooting an animal without orange to write a ticket? Or do I have to somehow prove I shot the grouse from my stand? Or will others just shoot small game on the move and then tell the CO they were in a stand? It shouldn't be all that complicated but this seems to cause more problems than it solves.

If you put the critter in your backpack, why is he even going to think you shot a grouse? Seriously as long as it's small game season, which of course all of bow season it, what CO really cares?

If you put the critter in your backpack, why is he even going to think you shot a grouse? Seriously as long as it's small game season, which of course all of bow season it, what CO really cares?

I would probably get a ticket for "conceal and carry" game. grin That may not be an actual law but with the way the laws are written and how every law is open to "interpretation" these day I would probably get a ticket.

Again,blaze orange MUST be worn on one article of clothing above the waist when deer hunting by archery unless you are STATIONARY.If you have any other interpretations of this new law call your dnr co officer and see what they say.c63

c63

Sorry but again where does it state this is the regs book? Also why would a law like this not be clearly stated in the Archery section of the regs book, not tacked on to the end of a small game regulation.