• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meat Sales

Cubs this week has boneless skinless chicken breasts for 1.99 lb.  85% lean ground beef for 2.99 lb. in 3 pound tubes.  Beef chuck roasts for 4.99 lb.  Beef bottom sirloin roasts for 4.99 lb.  Pork bone-in center cut chops for 2.99 lb.  Pork spareribs for 2.99 lb.

County Market has Beef boneless chuck roasts for 3.98 lb.  Fresh bone-in Pork shoulder roasts 1.48 lb.  Boneless beef top sirloin steak 5.49 lb.  Bone-in pork center cut chops for 2.29 lb. hormel ground pork 2.79 lb. good luck.

Went home (Ely) for Thanksgiving and of course needed to take a walk through Zup's.  Found Bone-In Country Style ribs (I only by the bone -in.) for $1.18 Lb in packages of 4.  Then walked down the aisle and found 16lb packages of Pork Shoulder (cut in half and beautifully marbled)) for the same price.  If anyone is near a Zup's, they had a lot of both.  I filled my trunk up. 

RH - I have a question.  The shoulder is cyrovaked (sp?).  I would like to freeze as is, but am concerned that when I go to smoke it, I will only do 8lbs at a time.  Would it hurt to partially thaw and then repack and re-freeze the other 8lbs?  Or should I separate and freeze?   

I don't like to thaw and re-freeze if I don't have to.  If you partially thaw and re-freeze you would be better off freezing them separately anyway.  This is what I would do.  Even for making sausage it would be easier for me to make batches with all butts separated.  Those are some awesome prices Jim!!!  I would have picked up the same myself.  good luck.

Fareway foods...fresh ground 85/15 beef...$2.99 lb. Wow!  Over at Silver Lake Foods, thick country ribs, .99 lb, chicken breasts, .99 lb,  beef rump roast, $3.99 lb, thick New York strips, $6.99 lb.>>>    auto.gif

Edited by RebelSS

I find it interesting that Hy-Vee, home of the rip-off, has their generic pink slime in a tube, 80/20, on SALE for $3.99, when SL Foods has the just- ground great stuff (85/15) for $2.99 this week......:whistle:

Okay, enough HyVee bashing. (my wife works there) :blush:

I did see that HyVee had burger from the service meat counter on sale also for what seemed to be a good price.  I think it was in the "grand opening" ad last night. 

Cub this week has T-bones on sale for 6.99 lb.  great price!!  Bottom round roast for 4.99 lb.  Perdue whole fryers for 1.29 lb.  Pork blade roasts for 1.99 lb.  Cub's fresh sausage for 3.99 lb.  Frozen game hens for 2 for $7.  96% lean ground beef for 5.49 lb.  Atlantic salmon for 5.99 lb.

County Market has beef boneless arm roasts for 3.48 lb.  Atlantic salmon filliets for 5.98 lb.  Beef boneless rump roasts for 3.79 lb.  Pork  shoulder steak for 1.79 lb. Boneless bottom round steak for 4.29 lb.  67oz. fresh GoldnPlump value pack chicken for 6.99 each.  good luck.

Reinhard, that brings up a question I have.   Costco sells rotisserie chickens that are significantly bigger than the average whole chicken in the supermarket for 4.99.   A raw 3.5  pound chicken at $1.29 is $4.50.  How do they do it? Lose a little on each one and make it up in volume?

I used to see the larger birds at Sam's as well.  I can't see them making any money on them really.  I think it's just one of those items that is a loss leader just to get the customers keep coming while they hopefully buy something else.  Chicken for the rotisserie at the stores are bought in bulk in the case and they do come for less cost this way but with the loss you take in the cooking process there is little profit margin or none at all in some cases.  good luck.

Beef arm roasts, $2.89 lb, as is fresh ground 85/15. Chicken thighs and legs, .69 lb. down here.

OK, got north to go to the Gym at WOW.  Stopped at Silver Lake Foods on way home, bought some of the arm roast, some burger, and some sirloin.  Noticed no grade indications on labels or signs.  Hopefully choice. 

Let you know how it tastes....

I forgot two big items in the Cub ad from Sunday.  They are two coupons which I missed.  One was on 3 pound bags of Cub frozen chicken wings for 5.99 each [ limit 2 ].  The other was on Frozen Turkeys  [Jenio/Honeysuckle] for 99 cents per pounds.  good luck.

This week Cub has Hormel or Cooks spiral bone-in hams for 1.98 lb.  Beef boneless Chuck roasts, shoulder roasts, sirloin tip roasts, bottom roasts, and eye of round roasts for 4.99 lb.  Bone in beef  New York strip roasts or steaks for 6.99 lb.  Smithfield bone in hams 1.49 lb.  Pork center cut pork chops 2.99 lb.  Drumsticks or Thighs for 99 cents lb.  baby back ribs 3.99 lb.  Beef bottom sirloin steak for 4.99 lb.  

County Market has Farm Fresh bone in smoked half ham on coupon for 98 cents lb. with a $25 purchase, limit one.  Beef boneless ribeye roast or steak  9.98 lb.  Farm fresh bone-in frozen turkey breast 1.69 lb.  boneless pork country style ribs 1.99 lb.  Boneless beef arm steak 3.79 lb. Beef boneless top round steak 4.49 lb.  56 oz pack GoldnPlump drumsticks or thighs 4.99 each.  good luck

Kinda seems like down here it's been  the same few things the last couple weeks...except Fareway Foods has 10 lb tubes of 80/20 gr beef for $1.99 lb, (2 days only)  pig chops for $1.49 lb, $2.99 lb rump roast, and jack's Pizza for $1.98 each.....

Edited by RebelSS

Del, I can only speak of the tubes sold inCubs, but I think County market has the same brand.  I have bought tubes for a long time and never had a issue.  There are times [few] that I have noticed a slight amount of fat that's concentrated under the casings of the tube.  But that's from the stuffing at the plant.  The percentage of lean vs fat is accurate and there is nothing wrong with buying the tubes.  I do like the ground beef in service cases.  Especially the pure ground chuck which is my favorite.  good luck.

I used to see the larger birds at Sam's as well.  I can't see them making any money on them really.  I think it's just one of those items that is a loss leader just to get the customers keep coming while they hopefully buy something else.  Chicken for the rotisserie at the stores are bought in bulk in the case and they do come for less cost this way but with the loss you take in the cooking process there is little profit margin or none at all in some cases.  good luck.

I've always been curious about that too. Although, I know some of Costco's other "heat and serve" items have rotisserie chicken in it, like their chicken noodle soup and chicken enchiladas. They also often have packs of rotisserie chicken meat available - so maybe reusing any chickens they don't sell factors into their profit/loss equation.