• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to fish for northerns without being mistaken for bass fishing?

I fish a small lake every summer for bass. This lake also has a nice northern population as well. Last summer when I was texas rigging for bass or wacking worming for bass or even jigging for bass, I'd hook at least 3 northerns in almost every outing. I have never tried to eat northerns and would like to try one. I am more of a walleye and crappie guy. How can I fish for northerns without being mistaken for bass fishing?

I plan to use lipless cranks, spinners, cranks, and possibly even some topwater lures.

Is there anything I need to do, have on me or use to show I am fishing for northerns instead of targeting bass?

Just curious what others are doing. Thanks

bass are caught all the time out of season unintentionaly, even now while panfishing. my suggestion would be just go fishing and if you do catch a bass, just release it. dont worry about it, just go enjoy your time out. good luck.

bass are caught all the time out of season unintentionaly, even now while panfishing. my suggestion would be just go fishing and if you do catch a bass, just release it. dont worry about it, just go enjoy your time out. good luck.

Reinhard1---exactly right? That is what I want to do! I just want to prevent trouble. I dont want anyone in my face about it this weekend. I do not want others to start trouble or call TIP.

the only thing to worry about if you keep a bass which i see you dont have any intention of anyway. there's probably going to be more panfishermen that are going to catch bass unintentualy than you are. go have fun and have a great opener. good luck.

I think a CO could care less about trying to prove or disprove if you are targeting bass out of season. If you target pike/walleyes with cranks in the weeds, you'll be fine. I got my 2 personal best LM bass that way one day last year! Also got a couple of pike and eyes, that's just how the shallow-water bite works. My favorite time of the year, since the weeds aren't choking out every inch of the small lakes I fish. swimbaits shallow will be hot too

It's pretty hard to find a northern lure that a bass won't hit, or vise versa.

Spinnerbaits work great for northerns, but are "known" as a bass lure.

I wouldn't worry about catching a few bass, just release them politely. I know i'll catch bass this weekend searching for walleyes...just the way it is. Dumb unrealistic closed season rules.

Once the season is open for Norts/eyes - anything goes really.

But yeah, I appreciate your concern and sincerity.

I mean if your all of sudden in a hot spot where your catching a bass on every other cast and no northerns - then i would probably just move on.

Ditto adding the steel leader and I just wouldnt toss a lot of double cowgirls with a big Muskie pole - especially if your on a well known Muskie lake. But even so, you would be perfectly legal. Bigger the lure - hopefully bigger the Northern.

Great post. I was kind of wondering the same thing. I will be headed up to Mille Lacs this weekend and would love to do some pike fishing in Isle bay. I was planning on using a spinnerbait most of the time. Do you guys have any other suggestions for baits for pike?

bassfshn,

Spinnerbaits have worked well for me in Isle Bay. You could probably have luck with jerk baits (husky jerks), swim jigs and maybe chatter baits as well.

Kind of depends on what the weed growth looks like. I usually fish the reed edges, but they won't be up this early.

Just slaughtered the Pike in Isle Bay a few years ago on black spinnerbait with silver colorado blade...Bucher Slopmaster if I recall. Caught so many that I ended up pinching the barb down to make it easier for release.

Like the others have said.....just go fishing with what ever you want! If you catch a bass let it go. If you catch a big pike, also let it go. But, if you land a few smaller/med sized ones get a little practice in filleting them and enjoy!!!