• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New AIS law

harvey lee

If there were no sticker maybe this thread would not be here ?

If they decided to skip the sticker and other costly forms of education such as commercials aired it would save a ton of money.

They should just write the laws and write the tickets that will do much more to stop the spread of invasives. People would much rather pay a hefty fine than put a sticker on their boat.

Darn DNR always trying to mess with our freedoms.

wink

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the Lib Trib this morning.

"Minnesota's 800,000 boaters would be subject to mandatory boat inspections for invasive species before launching their craft, under a bill approved Thursday by a House-Senate conference committee.

The bill also requires boat owners to pass a course on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species before they could trailer their boats anywhere. Those hauling other water-related equipment, such as docks or boat lifts, also would have to pass the course.

Those passing the course would get a trailer decal that would allow them to transport their boat. Though the decal would be mandatory, a violation is punishable only by a warning, under the bill.

The bill, which now goes before the Legislature's full House and Senate, gives the Department of Natural Resources authority to establish regional inspection stations at or near water accesses."

HaHa...I get it. A sticker, A class...All to remind me to remove weeds from my boat, to remind me to drain bait water, and to pull boat plugs...Well after i do all of that, i've still got a leaky boat that will hold gallons of water in each rib.

Someone can lawyer me on this one, but i bet there at minimum 5% of the boats in each county run their bilge each time on the water, and have a boat hull design that retains water. I also bet that another 50% of boaters in the county don't know what their boat hull design looks like, and could be transfering AIS as well.

So i'm not seeing the point. I can pull my weeds, drain my buckets, pull my plugs...but i still transfer water, and i know i'm not the only one folks!!

Gotta spend money on managing ais on infested lakes instead of stickers and inspections. managing ais may turn into erradicating ais. But i kind of doubt it at this point.

"Minnesota's 800,000 boaters would be subject to mandatory boat inspections for invasive species before launching their craft, under a bill approved Thursday by a House-Senate conference committee.

The bill also requires boat owners to pass a course on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species before they could trailer their boats anywhere. Those hauling other water-related equipment, such as docks or boat lifts, also would have to pass the course.

Those passing the course would get a trailer decal that would allow them to transport their boat. Though the decal would be mandatory, a violation is punishable only by a warning, under the bill.

The bill, which now goes before the Legislature's full House and Senate, gives the Department of Natural Resources authority to establish regional inspection stations at or near water accesses."

That's what we need! More laws! If there is one thing a zebra mussel or silver carp fear, it is state classroom educated, boaters, with a shiny decal.

crazy

The media is starting to really play on this AIS thing now as well. Soon it will be the next Bird flue, global warming, and everyone will be scared to go on the water.

Yeah! More stickers! blush

Doesnt the govt have anything else better to do, like pass a stadium bill or something?

That would really extend the triathlon times when each contestant needs to be pressure washed, inspected, and a sticker attached before entering the water, not to mention the second washdown as they try to run out to the bike stage.

Come on guys, you are being rediculous and giving fisherman a bad name. Get educated. The DNR will never win, either they do too little and people complain, or they try to get something done and people complain. I'm glad they are at least trying to be somewhat proactive, hopefully its not too little too late. If we have a chance to reduce the spread of AIS, why not do it. Prevention techniques cost WAY LESS than management techniques, and what they spend on these prevention techniques are far better than the consequences we would deal with the alternative.

Think of all the impacts AIS can cause, noted that some AIS are worse than others. A lot of these impacts wont be seen right away, but by the time our kids are adults, they could have to deal with the real consequences. AIS can impact tourism thus affecting the local economy, it can impact fishing in many ways that may not be seen right away, in can impact recreation users, for example zebra mussels can plug cooling intakes on motors causing overheating. Zebra mussels can also litter beaches and the lake bottom with sharp shells, it takes a few years for zebra mussel populations to really explode. Minnetonka is getting worse and worse. If we ever get Hydrilla, that is far worse than milfoil and can give us less useable area in a lake. Google Hydrilla, look at the pics of what it can do. By far the worse AIS in my opinion.

You are never going to be able to say you can completely stop the spread of AIS 100%, but if you can at least reduce the chances significantly i'm all for it.

i kind of skimmed through the DNR budget and i do remember that 5 bucks from your non-resident licence does go for the AIS portion of the money for that project. when you pick up your licence and get the sticker just put the bottom portion on your trailer by the winch [it's small and only reminds you to pull the plug and put it back it too] and the other part just put it in a zip plastic bag and have it handy in case someone asks to see it. good luck.

Come on guys, you are being rediculous and giving fisherman a bad name. Get educated. The DNR will never win, either they do too little and people complain, or they try to get something done and people complain.

Agreed, sit back and judge those in charge and complain.

You want fail safe solution that will not cost any money ?

How about they close the public accesses of all infected Lakes. No boats launch and no boats leave.

Quarantine the infected waters and save all this wasted money on stickers and educating the unwilling.

You have a leakey boat ? Maybe they should do hull inspections and condem those boats that do not pass inspection. You admit there is nothing stopping your boat from cross contaminating waters then why don't you fix the leak ?

You want the freedom to launch your boat in infected waters then move to a clean lake then follow the laws and get over it. If there is no solution then close the public accesses and save the uninflected waters would that make everyone happy ?

With Freedom comes great responsibility.

So my lifetime license I bought for my boat trailer is only good until they find a new sticker you need? So the trailer license is good for life, but I cant use it to haul my boat without taking a course, and buying another sticker?

How much does this course cost? This new sticker cost? Who is doing the tests? Hopefully it isnt the DMV, because they are so understaffed, and un organized the way it is now. Have you been to one lately?

that article seems like an old one they had when this issue first came to the forfront as far as the new guidlines. that course that was talked about, did that ever pass or is it just talked about in the article? as far as how much a sticker costs,[ i called and found out], 16 cents each. good luck.

You are never going to be able to say you can completely stop the spread of AIS 100%, but if you can at least reduce the chances significantly i'm all for it.

My boat leaks...If fills up the ribs in the boat...The ribs can retain a few gallons each...I cannot "rEDUCE THE CHANCE SIGNIFICANTLY" by pulling a plug, or draining minnow water, etc...I'm flat out transfering water int he hull of my boat. Spend less on enforcing that i keep a sticker on my boat and pull plug and drain water, and more on managing AIS because...Like i've said in the last 5 posts...I'M GOING TO TRANSFER AIS, AND SO WILL MANY OTHER BOATS. SO IT WILL SPREAD! I don't see any enforecement from DNR about leaky hulls.

i wish people who are complaining about stickers and other things like taking classes mentioned in some article would call the people in charge of this program. i called for the price of the sticker--16cents each. i called about some classes people are talking about--there are no such classes required i was told. Geeez--why dont people just buy your licence, get your stickers, follow the law, and go fishing. if you have a problem go round up all the "stickeranti's" head down to the capitol and demonstrate. for me nothing will change. i will go fishing and enjoy every minute of it. good luck.

Not yet...

This is all new stuff coming through the pipe.

How amazingly sad and unbelievable is it that we will have to take a class to recognize potential dangers of AIS, but allowed to freely get behind the wheel of 300hp and let er rip??

You can't make this stuff up. Reality is better than fiction.

that stupid class amendment or whatever has been flying around by some stuffed shirt for awhile. i cant believe anyone would support something that insane. i dont aprove of many of these things but i will live with it and make my objections known. i'm only one person, but if everyone gets on the phone to their reps or let your reps know your objections to this "taking a class bill" nonsense it wont ever happen. dont email send mail. they do open that [most cases they think there might be a check in there]. it's our own fault that a thing like "classes" even comes out of a leglislators mouth. good luck.