• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what happens when bearings go out?

mrpike1973

thankfully this has not happened but got to thinking when wheel bearings go out. what does it mean the bearings bad and you just put new ones on or if the bearings seizes to the shaft do you replace it or can the bearing be cut off and new one put on .i'm just wondering what it means when they burn up.

Basically if you get water in your hub, it rusts the bearings and they get destroyed. I had a skeeter that had a warped hub, and I had to repack and replace the bearings every year because I always had water in them. Finally they went out one day, and it was not fun. The bearings heat up and basically ignite the grease in the hub, leaving an awesome James Bond smoke screen for all to enjoy. If you keep driving on it the bearings can actually get welded to the axle. Your tire can actually fall off, mine had a major wobble. If you trailer any distance put your hand on the hubs, if one feels warmer than the other or hot, it's a sign that the bearings are bad. Repacking the hubs each fall before winter storage is a good idea. If water is present, then have them repacked and replace the bearings. Lots of guys carry a spare hub that trailer a lot of miles, a spare tire won't do you any good in this situation.

thankfully this has not happened but got to thinking when wheel bearings go out. what does it mean the bearings bad and you just put new ones on or if the bearings seizes to the shaft do you replace it or can the bearing be cut off and new one put on .i'm just wondering what it means when they burn up.

Normally, when they burn up they lock up. However, many bad things can happen. If they lock up, they can weld themselves to the spindle. Cutting them off may be possible if you're good and the spindle isn't that bad, but it would be best to replace the bearing and spindle. When they lock up, your tire also locks up. I've seen bearings go out to the point the spindle got so hot it broke, and the hub fell off, while going down the road. That was bad.

In the end, a good cleaning and re-packing on a regular basis is a lot easier to deal with.

I have a friend who had issues with his trailer hubs and I said I would take a look at it.

They had not been packed for years and when I went to take the hubs off both sides, the inner bearing was all but welded to the spindle. I got my small air saw and cut through the bearing about 90% of the way and then took a punch and hit the bearing from the back side and got it off. The spindle was a bit of a mess and I got that all cleaned up and they were good to go.

I used my dremel tool to start to clean it up and then finished with some emery paper to finish the spindle.

The bearing buddies are great but, one cannot think that since they have them on that the bearing do not need to be repacked and gone through every year.

I guess if one wants to let them go, it pretty much comes down to pay me now or pay me more later.

I would much rather repack them every season and I replace mine whether they need it or not every 3 years. I have never broken down on the road with bad bearings and never plan too. It simply is not that big of a job for the added security of knowing when you are on the road you will be good to go.

I also carry a spare hub along when I go on a longer trip that is all ready to put on and I also have emery paper with incase the spindle has some smaller scratches in it to clean the spindle up before I put the new hub on. never needed one yet but I know if I were to have one go bad, it will not ruin my trip. Pretty cheap insurance incase something does go south.

It usually means that your weekend is ruined and your out a bunch of money, and you will probably invent a new swear word. If it has ever happened to you and cost you a trip you will make sure it dosen't happen again.

Everybody has pretty much nailed it in the above post.

after reading this i took the bearings off my trailer again. filed and emery clothed the inner shaft. the bearing was hard to get back off. new seals and grease. drove it 20 miles cool as a cucumber thanks for scaring the fear of the bearing gods on me thanks

unless a bearing gets overly hot or gets water mixed in it doesnt need fresh grease for some time. if a hub is done correctly the excess grease between the bearings and in the cap will mix in the bearing. but to many people just pack the bearings and throw it back together.

when you spin a bearing it heats up the grease and everything around it. when grease gets hot it expands. when you back your trailer in the water the grease cools rapidly and sucks water in the seal side of the hub.

the bearing buddy prevents the water from entering the hub. when you back in the water the spring takes up the contraction of the cooling grease. thats why when you pull your traler out the cap on the buddy will be in farther than when you go to the landing.

in theory you should put a fue pumps of grease in each hub before you back in the water to make sure your buddy is pushed all the way out.

I put this on the other thread but figured it belonged here, too...make sure you check your lug nuts a few times after you do this. No one told me to do that and I had a tire pass me while going 60mph!