• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

APR, QDM, Trophy Hunters, etc....

DaveT

I know of the exact opposite.

I know a fellow who takes 3-5 kids out for years. He typically shoots almost all the deer.

That my friends is wrong and it does happen more than one wants to believe.

Frank, you may have deer thicker than rats but that is not the case from the hunters I know in my area at home at all.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the argument that trophy hunters don't want to work hard for their deer. Yet the great irony is that any regulation implemented to make for more mature bucks means meat hunters might have to work harder for their deer. Which they obviously don't want to do.

Or how about "trophy hunters don't know the real meaning of hunting". It's about the hunt, deercamp, the comradery. Yet these same people who I guess do know the real meaning of hunting seem to have their day ruined when they have to let a forky walk by. Again, love the irony.

Good point, totally agree...

I will go one better than that. This was my sons second deer season. He is 11 and this year he was in the right places at the right time because we party hunt and he shot his first deer, then filled my tag, then hid grandfathers and finished of filling his uncles.

That is 4 deer in two days for an 11 year old and everyone was delighted he had the fortune to do what he did and he had a very good time too as you might expect.

Now, if you think that he shouldn't be able to do that then obviously we are going to nof see eye to eye. If you don't like party hunting then hunt by yourself. This is a big state and there is room for everyone but I know I will not stand for people pushing for increased regulation and restriction on the way we hunt.

Imagine being in a camp where one 15 year old boy or girl is trying to kill his or her first buck. The other 5 hunters in camp are tagged out but still hunting hard to fill that last tag. Poor kid, every gun shot they hear might mean their season is over. How much fun can that kid be having?

Imagine being in the same camp, same situation, except now those 5 hunters are trying their best to get that kid his or her deer. Encouraging them every morning, giving up the best stands, making drives, etc., all in an effort to help that last tag get filled. Instead of an anxiety filled hunt with unnecessary pressure, you have a fun hunt with everybody working together for the common good. What's more Minnesotan than that?

Is this how you grew up hunting? have you ever party hunted before? I hunted ONE TIME with a guy who wanted me to put my tag on his spike because he was hunting white water the next couple of days. I had the rest of the week to hunt and no doe tag. It almost came to blows and he never came back to our hunting camp in Houston co.

If you grew up hunting with a bunch of dirt bags, I understand where your anger is coming from DaveT, but if you are just imagining scenario's, let me ask this then: how many people here were in a hunting camp like he has described growing up. Bad parenting is not a reason for changing deer hunting regulations

I know of the exact opposite.

I know a fellow who takes 3-5 kids out for years. He typically shoots almost all the deer.

That my friends is wrong and it does happen more than one wants to believe.

Frank, you may have deer thicker than rats but that is not the case from the hunters I know in my area at home at all.

Have you ever said anything to this guy Harvey? Like I said above, you are asking for the changes in regulations now becuase of poor parenting? This goober sounds like an awesome piece of work Harvey Lee.....

shortfatguy, not disagreeing with you per se... but IMO I think folks see a lot of does and small bucks because they are the stupidest deer out there.

Of course you are going to see more of the least-wary deer!

I agree with you 100% but when I said bucks I ment all bucks. Don't see many young ones compared to does either. Unless you go to a bar parking lot and look in the back of trucks. wink

Micro managing.

Lets try piling on regulations to an outdoor activity.

And for what, because some aren't satisfied with their hunt and other hunters making their own choice on what deer that harvest?

For Gods Sake Man, the deer in MN are thicker then rats but that isn't good enough.

Out of the 400,000 bucks that make it through the gantlet please tell me the ages of those deer.

You don't know and neither does the DNR.

Ride the wave now because we can't go up in numbers but they srue will go down.

Surface

Calm down. I hunted St Louis County for the first 17 years of my hunting career. I left the northern part of the state out for a reason, I know how hard it can be to see any deer up there. It takes a lot of work and time to kill a buck in the north woods, that's why the DNR gives you 16 days to get it done. Imagine how easier it might be if there were more bucks to hunt, eliminating party hunting might make your season more enjoyable. I haven't brought up APR, so how am I telling you what bucks you can shoot? Shoot whatever you want, I just don't feel that you should be able to shoot bucks for everybody in your party, especially if half the people in your party aren't actually hunting. Yes, I'm referring to the practice of buying tags for people who don't hunt and shooting extra deer. Obviously illegal already, but easier to get away with because of our current regulations.

I never said 400,000 bucks survive the hunting season. I'd be surprised if the number of antlered bucks that survive the whole deer season number more than 50,000. But you're right, I don't know. What I do know is how unbelievable the hunting is in the other states I mentioned.

I also remember as little as 5 years ago when I used to see at least one mature buck every year in MN and occasionally even shoot one.

I will never understand party hunting.

I would never allow anyone to shoot my deer and I will never understand why another would allow someone else to shoot thier der for them.

Just buy them another license and stay home.

Because isn't hunting about the fun with friends and family? Not to mention the meat? Party hunting works great for both, especially when someone happens to be in the right spot and has all the deer run by them. Everyone still gets meat that way, not to mention the joy of the hunt.

I think party hunting is fine but I don't see why People can't take does to fill someone else's tag. There are plenty of people out there who seem to think a 1.5 yr old buck is more of a trophy than a 3.5 yr old doe. And that's not a problem if they shoot only one for their tag. But there are a lot of people who shoot all of them they see. The other issue with party hunting is the guys who shoot the deer and call the guy with the tag to come out and get it. It's pretty hard to manage it.

I will never understand party hunting.

I would never allow anyone to shoot my deer and I will never understand why another would allow someone else to shoot thier der for them.

Just buy them another license and stay home.

That sounds just as selfish as the guy who shoots all the deer himself and the kids shoot none. Are you telling me that if you and I and my 11 year old were hunting together and we each only had one tag, you would be mad if my kid who has never shot a deer would shoot all 3? I myself would enjoy seeing a kid have that much fun.

If I can't shoot a deer(which I never do)I am more than happy to give my tag to someone else so that we can have some venison for the freezer. One group I hunt with is usually a group of 4 and most years we are happy if we shoot 2 deer and if 1 guy shoots both of them I say more power to him, at least we can put something in the freezer.

How many of you guys that are dead set against any change have ever had a season like this?

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...cks#Post2697478

How many have had 2 in a row?

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2416975/Searchpage/1/Main/253802/Words/%22crappie+rage%22/Search/true/Re_2010_in_Kansas#Post2416975

Please stop telling me how good the deer hunting is in MN, I'm not buying it.

I need a Mod to fix this link, my feeble brain and poor computer skills are out matched.

How many of you guys that are dead set against any change have ever had a season like this?

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...cks#Post2697478

How many have had 2 in a row?

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2416975/Searchpage/1/Main/253802/Words/%22crappie+rage%22/Search/true/Re_2010_in_Kansas#Post2416975

Please stop telling me how good the deer hunting is in MN, I'm not buying it.

I need a Mod to fix this link, my feeble brain and poor computer skills are out matched.

What makes you think that every hunter measures success the same way you do? To me the most successfull hunt I've heard a story about this year was the poster in this thread who said his 11 year old kid shot 4 dear, now THAT is SUCCESS!

I'm sure these young kids are gonna be fine if they only get one deer. If I wanted to give my tag away, I would buy one and stay back at camp. I deer hunt because I want to kill a deer, I enjoy the hunt! I guess I would be selfish for doing this though...

Quote:
That sounds just as selfish as the guy who shoots all the deer himself and the kids shoot none. Are you telling me that if you and I and my 11 year old were hunting together and we each only had one tag, you would be mad if my kid who has never shot a deer would shoot all 3? I myself would enjoy seeing a kid have that much fun.

Yep, I'd be mad. I would do whatever I could to get that kid his first deer. I would put him in the hottest spot, I would try my best to call one in. I would do whatever it took to get him his first deer before I ever fired a shot. I would not, give up my tag. I would enjoy teaching him about the rules and regs of hunting, gutting, skinning, and butchering, and that shooting his deer and using his tag is part of hunting. Not shooting my deer for me. Some might call it selfish that I won't let him shoot mhy deer for me. I call it teaching him to abide by rules and being socially responsible and respectful to the law and the wishes of the other hunters at camp.

Now here is a question for all of the trophy hunters who think changes are needed:

Do you hunt for anything else besides deer or other antlered animals? Do you pheasnt hunt? Grouse hunt? Duck hunt? Goose hunt? Squirrel hunt?

If so, why? Is it for the trophy? The meat? The killing?

When I had my German shorthair I pheasant hunted a lot. I loved watching my dog work. After child 2 I didn't have the time to run him like I thought he should so I found him another good family. I don't get as much time in the woods ad I'd like with having a family so I'm not going to compromise the time I have with ducks or anything else.

I hunt geese, squirrels, turkeys, and deer. I hunt them all for different reasons, each one brings something different to the table. Goose hunting is exciting and I love working them with my call. I also found that two geese mixed with venison sausage tastes great. Squirrel hunting is a great time to spend one on one quality time with my 4 year old son. We have yet to shoot one, but enjoy going out in the woods together. I get to teach him about nature and show him rubs, scrapes, pileated wood peckers, etc... I hunt turkeys for the thrill and the challenge. I have to this day only shot one. But i have had a couple close encounters with boss toms and that my friends, is something that puts your hear in your throat. When you can feel the drumming through your but because he is that close, man, there is nothing like it. I generally try and shoot two deer a year. A mature buck and a doe. Sometimes I shoot two does. I always try and hold out for a mature buck. Two deer is what I know I can eat a year, so two deer is what I take. If I take three, I usually have a little to spare and share.

Above all, chasing whitetails is my passion.

First Dave to answer your last question, I may let my son shoot my deer but that would be it.

He learned to shot his own deer so we never had to cross that bridge.

You hunt and hunt hard for your deer, if you do not get onbe, so be it.

I am not so sure why you are so hung up on this Trophy titale thing.

Just because one wants to shoot a buck with a bit larger rack does not mean by any means that he should be labeled a trophy hunter.

I guess I should then call all those that shoot fawns, Bambi killers.

Same lame thought.

One can hunt deer for meat and also want to harvest a nice racked deer. But I guess since you could care less, then maybe we should have an all buck season and you can leave the state.

That felt good after all tell me to leave as I would like once in awhile to shoot something other than a fawn, doe or baby buck.

To answer your otyher question, I hunt about everything I can. The reasons I hunt I will not go into as all you will do is pick that apart like you seem to always dop as it is not what you want.

Then you believe others are selfish.

REALLY.