• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One Week in Kansas 3 Bucks

Crappie Rage

I got to my place in Kansas after dark on the 4th. My brother and Dad got there after dark on the 6th. I started hunting the 5th. Things started slow and although we were seeing bucks every day, only a couple shooters were seen.

I did have a 2.5 year old 8 pointer totally crush my decoy. Broke one leg, knocked another off and knocked the antler off. I was in a climber so I just left it laying on the ground. Two more bucks would walk up to it and look it over before dark.

Tuesday morning it was misting, we went out til it started to rain about 10. Never went out that night. Did not stop raining until well after midnight.

Wednesday breaks cold and windy. I did not see much but my dad saw at least 12 different bucks and one or two shooters. My brother seen a buck we named Turkey Foot and a couple others. So after a quick lunch it was back to the woods.

I took a decoy to a stand in a skinny strip of trees halfway between the stands my brother and father were in. In the stand about 1pm with the decoy just below the stand (not what I prefer but due to wind). Sitting down not paying attention (hey it is only 1:26pm) I look down and there is Turkey Foot all fluffed out ready to kill my decoy.

With basically no cover, I grabbed my bow, stood up and drew. Just then he turned straight at me and the decoy. Luckily something made him freak and he ran straight away. I grunted at him twice and he stopped quartering toward me a little. I raged him.

Waited for dark, went back to the camper ate dinner and the three of us followed the blood for 170 yards to Turkey Foot! full-16015-13970-brycamks(20).jpg

Thursday was uneventful, but Friday was something else. Friday broke frosty and calm. My brother and father about 400 yards apart. Both have deer early. Dad has a doe and fawn come from his backside in front of his stand. He is watching them when he hears something behind him. He looks and sees a wall of white tines. The buck works in front of him and a quartering away shot puts his buck down in 80 yards. full-16015-13971-imag0101.jpg

At the same time my dad is shooting his deer, my brother is watching a nine pointer heading his way. The buck stops at a scrape and eventually offers the shot. The buck takes off, making it to my stand (still have doe tag)and I get to watch him fall.

Tagged out in KS and we have a day to close everything down before heading home!

full-16015-13973-brycamks(43).jpg

Well Jack, we have had the land for 5 years based on what we paid and how many bucks we have shot it is now down to about $40,000 per buck. If we throw in almost the same number of does, we get down to about $20,000 per deer.

On the bright side, I did not put that money in the stock market!!!

Is it the land or is it patience and letting the young have a chance to mature or both lol, either way in MN that aint happenin unless you are in the Hillview area then you have a chance or if you have nearly a section of quality land. Either way great story and a year to remember for sure. My ? to those guys would be what does opening day sound like and look like in Kansas, lots of gunfire and lots of orange or what is it like compared to MN ?

I like the way you think Musky. We have 300 acres but we are a smaller land owner in the area. The KS gun season opens usually on the first of December, was down there once for opener and it was mid week. I could count the gunshots with out getting naked, I don't think I had to take my socks off.

Alot less pressure, more acres per hunter, guys down there don't shoot the 1.5 years olds, December gun season. No one down there would notice if they instituted APR.

If you are a bowhunter, this is your Disney World.

One more thing. We work hard at it.

We had about 25 stands up. Some are just a few yards from others for different wind directions. Food plots. Hauling decoys for a 1/2 mile walk. Sneeking in on a rainy day at noon during our hunt to put up another stand in an area that was hot. Cameras. Trying not to shoot bucks until they are 4.5 or more. Scent free. Hunting the wind. Etc.

Your efforts pay off! Those are just some awesome animals! Ive hunted the northern part of Kansas and it was a great experience! Fewer hunters, lots of big, mature deer, and amazing landscape. One thing is the same in all the areas ive hunted that I would consider "good", thats that your average joe landowners wouldn't even consider shooting little 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks, just no interest. They know what theyll soon become.

My hats off to you! It takes hard work and self discipline to consistently keep your land good. Your obviously doing a great job! CONGRATS!