• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what do you use to clean your guns?

what do you guys use to clean your guns?

I'm looking for something that is not oily or will create a mess ( i know they all do). Even if its oily, share it. There so many stuff on the market and so expensive, i don't want to buy and try. I want to use what has worked for you and what has not. i currently use hoppes and CLP. Hoppes works good if you clean it right away after using the gun, if not than it might have to be soaked in the stuff before cleaning.

I use WD40 during the hunting season and then at Christmas time it's a perfect job to get away from the family for a bit and take them apart and oil them up for storage, I also am close to the fridge containing the Old Milwaukee's. I have 2 thirty year old remington wingmasters that look great yet today. Muzzleloader is a whole nuther beast, boiling water, bore butter, etc.

i was looking at some vacume sealing information and it said in there that some people use the vacume sealing mashine to pack their gun away for the season after cleaning. it says it keeps the guns clean and rust free. i know a person who seals his silver coins with the mashine to prevent tarnishing and it works. anyone ever tried this with their guns? good luck.

I use the boar foam as well. Works good. I fill the barrel and let sit for 5m, then run a brush through, run a wipe through, and once again with the foam. After the 2nd foaming, then i finish with the brush and pads, and finally a light amount of oil on the pad. Gun has to be completely shiny though the barrel before i stop.

Barrel Blaster Foaming Boar Cleaner - CVA.

klee, you mention mess from cleaning as being one concern of yours. If you don't already, save some newspapers over the course of the week. (You don't even have to subscribe, just pick some up near the entry to your favorite grocery store.) Then, open several of them up and lay them down a few pages thick to make a work surface that will be easy to clean up when you're done cleaning your shotgun. Just ball it up and throw it away.

I do this as a career and still use Hoppe's #9 and CLP pretty much exclusively, it just works. I do have some Winchester spray cleaner I use to power out crud, it's synthetic safe and seems better than gunscrubber. I have tried a lot of different things and these are what work for me. Cleaning is probably one of the messier things I do in the shop, there is just no real good way to avoid it, the newspaper idea is the best for protection and ease of throwing away when you are done. the next best option is to support your local gunsmith and bring it in for a professional cleaning wink

I ran into a clearance sale at Wmart last spring and picked up about three cans of TC Bore cleaner really cheap and it really works great spray it let it sit clean it. It is a bit messy if you are not careful. I also am trying LPS this year but I think I will be getting CLP unless I can find Rustyduck spray I love that stuff

For the mess, newspaper works good. I keep a dry box with all my cleaning supplies and an old ragged t-shirt accompanies the box. That is what i clean my gun on...Funny story, my mom found that shirt last fall while visiting and tossed it in the washer so i could wear it again grinlaugh (It was a white shirt full of black powder residue)

I do this as a career and still use Hoppe's #9 and CLP pretty much exclusively, it just works. I do have some Winchester spray cleaner I use to power out crud, it's synthetic safe and seems better than gunscrubber. I have tried a lot of different things and these are what work for me. Cleaning is probably one of the messier things I do in the shop, there is just no real good way to avoid it, the newspaper idea is the best for protection and ease of throwing away when you are done. the next best option is to support your local gunsmith and bring it in for a professional cleaning wink

SmilinBob, what's your take on cleaning copper deposits out of a rifle bore? Does the Hoppe's copper solvent work as well as some of the other offerings out there? Some have suggested using the Boretech products, but they are hard to find around here. I don't care for the ammonia based solvents because of the smell.

I just use whatever I got, rem oil and whatever solvent... over time I realized you can only clean so much to a point all your doing is wax on wax off wax on wax off, gotten to the point to wear its just, toss the brushes and pads and just run a bore snake thru a couple times and call it good, you can only scrub and scrub so much and only get whateever copper fouling out to were it doesnt matter as long as residue and powder and the most copper you can get out is all that matters just as long as the bore is clean and oiled is all that counts, otherwise just dont shoot your gun if you want it perfect

I use Remington Action Cleaner to spray out the junk in the trigger assembly and Hoppes #9 for solvent in the barrel and to get the stubborn crud off the other stuff. I then use the Rem Oil w/ teflon or Hoppes for lube.

Heard good things about the Breakfree CLP stuff though...might give that a try. Also thought about getting a dry lube since regular gun oil seems to attract gunk.

I have used Rem-Oil for a long time, a bottle lasts forever. I think the main thing is to do something, even if it's plain old 3-in-1 oil out of the red can.

Another thing I was told when I bought my rifle is that many people use too much of whatever they prefer. Use just enough to get the job done.

DD

I just use whatever I got, rem oil and whatever solvent... over time I realized you can only clean so much to a point all your doing is wax on wax off wax on wax off, gotten to the point to wear its just, toss the brushes and pads and just run a bore snake thru a couple times and call it good, you can only scrub and scrub so much and only get whateever copper fouling out to were it doesnt matter as long as residue and powder and the most copper you can get out is all that matters just as long as the bore is clean and oiled is all that counts, otherwise just dont shoot your gun if you want it perfect

Funny, but I don't think your username is Smilin' Bob. I'm happy for you if you are satisfied with a sub par cleaning job of YOUR guns. I'm glad I don't shoot your guns. By the way, I am cleaning the bore of a 50 year old rifle that has never had the copper cleaned out of it. Rem-oil and whatever else won't cut it. Sorry.

OK, I can't give all the secrets away, but the gunslick foaming cleaner doesn't put off much for bad vapors, and a good stainless brush used in moderation, like 2-4 passes moderation, will get most of that old stuff loosened up. The rest is up to good ol elbow grease. And my name not really Bob either, I just like the commercials.

+1 on blue wonder. I have tried them all, 7.62 Sweets was good on removing copper but it took a couple cleanings to get it back to bare metal. Blue Wonder does it's job in one cleaning if you give it time to do the work. FOllow the directions, make sure you use an agent (clp) to negate ammonia in blue wonder, and you are good to go. DON'T USE BLUE WONDER INSIDE THE HOUSE, it has a strong ammonia smell....I also use it on any surface rust that might develop with 0000 steel wool, cleans it right off as well, even on parkerized guns like my 870