• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My friday buck.

Stratosman

I was lucky enought to harvest this nice buck on friday evening... I had a perfect east wind for this stand, first time in there this year. It's a stand about 15 yards off a creek in a small stretch of timber between the creek and the railroad tracks. On the other side of the tracks is a bean field that the deer head to. They come from the timber across the creek and stage in the creek, drink and hold until heading to the field. Anyway, the first deer was a fat forky, watched him for about 10 minutes and heard some commotion across the creek, two more bucks including a 120" +- 8. This guy was coming out behind them. I knew I wanted to take him as he entered the creek. But I heard another deer coming from behind him and just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bigger one. It wasn't so by the time I drew back on this guy he was about 35 yards broadside walking, had to whistle to stop him, and as I released he started walking again and I hit him too far back. I was sick to my stomach as I watched him hunch over and trot off. I gathered my thoughts and knew I had to sneak out of there and come back in the morning. As I was walking the tracks back to my truck deer were coming over left and right heading to the bean field, so I hunkered down not to spook them and maybe spook my buck out. Then I saw a large bodied deer moving slowely but steadily over the tracks and down the other side, but he it just kept walking the edge of the woods, never stopping until I lost him in the darkness. I thought that could maybe be him, but wasn't sure as it was semi-dark.... Got two awesome tracking buddies and headed back down in the morning. Sure enough, blood across the tracks, he ended up traveling about 500 yards, blood was good then it got bad, but we stuck with it. He crossed the creeek and we spread out to find his crossing, about 15 minutes and I hear my bud yell out, "got him"! Man was I excited! What a rollercoaster ride! Havn't scored him, not sure but guessing about 140" gross. Dont really care either!

full-5323-12524-011.jpg

full-5323-12525-008.jpg

full-5323-12526-012.jpg

nice buck! Way to go on the track job. Sounds like you could have very easily spooked him again on the way out if you werent careful. I'm betting the gross score on that will be upper 140's lower 150's. Congratulations. What are you going to do the rest of the hunting season. I wish I had that dilemma.

Thanks all.

As far as now what... I know, although I would never pass up a deer like this, it's still a tad bittersweet being done, nothing like sitting in the woods the end of October. Wish I had more connections in WI.

Would like to take a doe yet so that can be challenging enough sometimes...