• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When will the velvet start coming off

MUSKY18

had a friend hit a nice 8 point last night in full velvet. On opener I have seen three bucks in velvet a nice messed up 8 point, that i missed, a fork I shot and a small spike I also shot. When bear hunting we usually see some in velvet the first week and the second week we dont see any.

Seen a nice 8 this morning on the way into work, and thought about these post right away. Highway 2 just east of Superior. Full velvet still with no signs of any rubs...But as I said before, any day now, and when it goes it can go fast. Man I would love to have a BBD with a vevet rack this bow season.....Never have I seen one during though..

when it goes it can go fast.

I have read a few articles that have stated bucks will often go a little crazy when their velvet is coming off and tirelessly thrash trees until it is gone. Some take care of business in as little as 2-4 hours but for others it takes them a good 24-48 hours to get it all peeled off.

Ive caught it once... but not your classic hanging bloddy mess. Then I got the same buck 4 hrs later completely polished! Its fascinating how fast it happens. I think thats what makes it so hard to capture on film, because they are not interested in mineral blocks at the time theyre shedding. That and they eat their own velvet like candy!

Yesterday I saw two 6-point bucks close up, and one eitht pointer(?) from about 150 yards. I live in Superior, WI and they were rigtht in town not far from my house. The two 6-pointers had not a speck of antler showing, all velvet. I could not tell on the other one, too far away. Several days earlier, my son took a pic of a real shooter near St. Paul. Again, not a speck of antler, all velvet.

I haven't seen a buck in town all year, and then I see three. I speculate they are beginning to get active and the velvet will be coming off soon.