• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking of a Snowblower already!

otterman91105

I love my Toro. I inherited from my Grandpa. It has to be 15-20 years old. Handles the snow great. Gave it a good workout last winter without a problem. Plus it's a MN company. It's always a plus to keep the local guys employed.

I have a Ariens Pro 32 and think it is the greatest. I like how easy it is to move the chute with one hand while still moving and blowing. Throws the snow a long ways if it is light but like most it has to move slow in order to throw the heavy wet stuff. Pretty much all steel and that was a big selling point for me and the fact that it has grease zirts on the auger shaft.

The last two posts bring up what I think sorts the good stuff from the marginal stuff. Is it built in a way so as to facilitate maintenance? I have a Simplicity lawn tractor and it is zerks in a number of places that you don't see in other machines. IMO going to a dealership (not a big box) and talking to salesmen will help you learn a lot about what to look for. If you buy a better rig and take care of it you will be using it for 20+ years. The don't get much use and so it isn't the motor that's going to go out on you. It will be rust if you don't wash it in the Spring or some junk plastic bearings in the auger or something if you don't buy right.

I am not sure of this but I have been told that some of the outfits have two lines and that the ones you get at the big box store may not be as durable as others. Check at an implement dealer as I suspect the manufacturers set the prices and if there's a deal it may be the same deal no matter where you buy it.

I owned a Simplicity for about 20 years before I wore it out. Then on a recommendation I bought a John Deer and dumped it after 5 years as it was piece of junk and IMO very under powered for an 8 HP. 4 years ago I bought an Ariens and is a great blower. I'd recommend one to anyone. Buy at the local shop. It's the local guys that build your community.

Toro makes one heck of a snowblower. Not the cheapest out there either but they are nice.

My dad bought an Ariens last year or the year before and he really likes it. I've used it a few times and it is a nice unit.

If cost is no object, may I recommend a Honda. smile

I picked this up from a family friend for a really good price. He's the kind of guy that babies everything he owns and this was no exception. Its a flippin' animal. Throws snow all the way across the yard and my favorite feature is the Hydrastatic Drive, no set speeds/gears, its infinite.

13219010150327296525464.jpg

Were so so enamored with it that you have taken pictures of it in the past? i hope you didn't go through all the work of putting out the fake snow just so you could show off here on FM.

Been a reliable member, active poster, and staff (now former for reasons like this) for 10 years and thats as cheap a shot as I've ever received. Do you feel better? More manly now, eh? frown

i remember the days of the shovel. and there were many years with that shovel. but at that time i had the typical driveway. out here in Andover with this driveway i have and a large parking area i dont think i could do it with a shovel. maby a used one would be the way to go. a lot easier on the back. but you have to go with what you can afford. i have an old 8hp craftsman two stage and i am in the process of putting a new belt on along with some new bolts to keep the parts on more secure. had a few parts come loose last winter and parts are laying next to the mashine waiting to be put back together. good luck.

Honda and Ariens make the best walk behind blowers.

For anything to mount to the front of a machine such as an ATV/UTV/Mini Truck, Bercomac would be my first choice. Although the impeller speeds are much faster than the average blower, they throw snow a country mile but it's slow and go to maintain consistant operation with the Bercomac brand.

I currently have a JD GX255 with a 42" single stage for the front end. I've cleared many miles of driveways over the last 5 years and it keeps going strong. It is getting to the point that I will need to do some welding and replacing of parts after this winter.

I have posted this on here before, if you can get by 3/4ths of the winter without one, wait until february and then shop. Most places have them 25-50% off, plus theres still time to use it. I bought my MTD in february and took the reciept back twice and got cash back since they had lowered the price I bought at. The second time they told me they wouldn't do it beyond that, but I still got a steal on it.