• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What annoys you most while hunting?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the old # 2 hit ya from last nights chili right after you get yourself comfortable in the stand... LOL!

Having to navigate property in the dark with bulls (cattle) also out in the same area. Kind of gets a bit creepy when you hear many hooves stomping around you in the dark and can't see if it is the bull you need to avoid or just a milk cow...

Also walking a trail with your kid and hunting dog for grouse and some a$$ clowns on four wheelers come by at a hundred miles an hour past you. You are just praying the dog doesn't jump out of the woods on to the trail when they are going NASCAR down the trail. All while hollering at them to please slow down and getting flipped off!!! I am a peaceful person and thankfully we (Me and my kid) can move because we know better but if my dog gets hit by someone doing that... Well then it's game on time...

Man some interesting stories! I am glad I don't have to deal with any trespassers as some of you fellas, but my biggest pet peeve I guess is people ahem.. (neighbors) who intently put new permanent stands up right on the property line or maybe 10 feet off the line and place them facing into your land! Even clearing shooting lanes right up to your property line! That's a doozie!!! Especially when the goofballs have 6 permanent stands for 40 acres!!! You really don't feel safe hunting your own land during gun season, when that type of pushing it or toeing the line happens. I guess where is the respect and reality of do we really need every square foot covered on our 40 acres??

6 stands for 40 acres sounds about right to me. Probably wouldn't want to use them all at the same time. Between the neighbors & my woods there's roughly 25 acres & I've got 7 stands on that. They're mostly not hunted at all & it's mostly just me bowhunting some of them very occasionally.

Probably not the same as the 6 permanents on 40 acres you're talking about.

# 1: The things one would expect on public land... #2: Haha the Smallgame opener being on the same date as the bow opener. #3:skeeters. #4 and special mention: That noob hunter who came along just for the trip who is obviously there just to "hang out" rather than hunt - and just won't shut the f$%* up...... ah it was good to let that out.

I have to agree with Wanderer. I have made my share of them(mistakes) over the years as well. Just if we could have a few of them back huh?

I won't forget to mention the encounters with trespassers is second for sure. Hunting for 21 years and never lost anything to theives until someone helped themselves to my Ameristep ground blind last year. Got to use it twice, Lol. I can count on one hand how many times I have encountered a trespasser but last years deal chapped my hide. Then in the top three of the most annoying things out there is to find litter whether it be on land,ice or water. Never will understand why folks have to be that way.

Finding beer cans littered around peoples stands when scouting/shed hunting in the spring. Drinking/Guns never go together. Hunting a spot on public land and another person thinks they own that area so they take their Jeep up and down near by roads and make as much noise as possible and rut up the road.

I was hunting a small public plot last fall (my first time bow hunting). Now, I know it is PUBLIC, so I had a sense of humor about the whole thing, but it did make me shake my head in wonder. I was in my stand about 100 yds off the dirt road. My vehicle was parked off the entrance to the logging road into the area - the ONLY logging road into the spot. Lo and behold, a truck pulls up, parks, and out hops a guy and his dog, and they proceed to grouse hunt up the logging road, around behind me...do the whole circle around my stand (always within 50 - 75 yards of me). I get down and go out to my vehicle because I was in full camo- and he was shooting his shotgun off willy nilly wherever his pup managed to kick up a bird and although I could see him, he didn't know where I was and I didn't need to spend any time pickin bird shot out of me arse. The pup was only about 8 mos old and still learning, so the guy was yelling "Jake! Jake! come!" almost the entire time. Anyway, when he finishes and comes out, I'm petting the pup and he says "oh, were you bow huntin in there? hope I didn't mess up your hunt" all innocent.

Now, really? I had to laugh the whole thing off, but didn't there used to be some general courtesy between sportsman? There was an additional 200 acres of public land in the area that he could have hunted for birds, and, I also grouse hunt, and if I went to a spot and another truck was there, I would assume that it was already hunted and move to the next spot, and visit that spot later when there was no vehicle there...am I wrong? I mean, come on, we are all trying to enjoy ourselves out there, why be a jerk when there is obviously someone else in the immediate area already?

I don't get it. Any thoughts?

...am I wrong?

Well your not wrong but your not right either. The guy maybe should have gone somewhere else or paid more attention but I don't really blame him. I have had many bird hunters walk right under my stand an never know I was there, if you think about it they are focused on looking for birds, not other hunters. I think your main problem here was hunting 100 yards off the road and in view of the parking area wink get back a ways and you will see far less people.

Hunting in Wisconsin a few years back I found a very remote island in the middle of a large river. Water was low so I could get out there in waders no problem. A buddy and I had hunted the first few weeks of bow season without a single sign anyone had ever been out there. One day I got out there, and much to my confusion, there were plastic grocery bags tied to the trees every 50 yards or so heading deeper into the woods right past my stand. The rustling of the bags in the wind and the eyesore they created just about drove me nuts. Right before sundown (and about the time I was about to lose my mind) a guy and his wife came walking out of the woods, following the line of grocery bags. They had two backpacks full of squirrels. I stood up and waved at them.....they waved back. I sat down, thinking maybe once they went past, I could get a chance at any deer circling around them. When they got close to my tree a squirrel jumped out on a limb in my tree, right between us and before I could do anything he raised his gun and dropped the squirrel, the bullet sounding like it missed my head by inches. I was about as annoyed at that point as I have ever been in my life. He mumbled something (not in English) and walked off. They never came back to get the bags, so I had to haul them out, and they went on for almost a mile. I guess orange flagging tape was too expensive.

Long story short:

Annoyance #1 = Stupid People

Annoyance #2 = Having to cough or sneeze

The things that annoy me are when you are all set up in a field watching turkeys at a distance coming in and someone walks in on you and scares them off and because they can't see me in full camo they walk up all nice and slow and snap pictures of the decoys thinking they are real turkey and wonder why they don't move or anything. That happened twice this season on different days and I know to expect things like that on public land but also think that when people walking and spot a hunter to steer clear and not walk up and try to start a conversation.