• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kansas Turkeys. A Recap.

DonBo

Last spring (2010) my wife and I were at the Northwest Sportshow. I'm always looking for new places to hunt turkeys, especially if they offer one of the subspecies I still need for my Grand Slam. I've already taken several Easterns and Merriams, still need a Rio Grande and the Osceola. We stopped and spoke with Dave from Abilene Outdoor Adventures from Abile, Kansas.

I knew Kansas held some Rios, but Daves report was not optomistic. He said they get some, but probably only about 20% were true Rios. The remainder were mostly hybreds with a few Easterns. Because of that, I probably would not have booked with AOA. Still, we both threw our names in a hat for a free hunt they were giving away. A couple weeks later my wife got an email from Dave. She won the hunt! Problem is, she is NOT a hunter. She asked if I could take her place. Dave's answer? Absolutely! Try as I might, I could not make the time to go to Kansas last spring.

With a year to prepare, I was able to convince my good friend Doug to join me. With my busy spring schedule at work, an earlier hunt was my best bet. We chose the early, archery-only season. Doug has shot only a few birds and has not yet attemted to take one with his bow, so he quickly agreed to this new plan. I have shot several with my bow, but it's been a few years, and many years more since I shot a spring bird with archery equipment.

We arrived at the lodge late afternoon on Saturday, April 9th. We had enough time to look at a few of his properties that we could hunt. Dave helped Doug set his blind for the next morning while I headed to the next field. I spotted several birds in my field, so we left my stuff right there. I'd have to come in early to set up.

The lodge was beautifull:

full-20096-8021-dsc02891.jpg

full-20096-8022-dsc02889.jpg

full-20096-8023-dsc02887.jpg

full-20096-8024-dsc02885.jpg

We were the only hunters in camp. Apparently no one else wanted to attemp shooting these big birds with archery gear.

Finally, the hunt: Sunday April 10th.

It was a warm morning, in the 50's. A south wind was howling at 25-40 mph. I set my blind in an overgrown fenceline right where I had seen the birds the previous evening. I had two hens and a B Mobile Jake decoy out. Right across the stubble field from me was a pretty big piece of woods surrounding a deep creek bottom. There were at least half a doz birds gobbling from these woods. Just after full sun up, two toms began gobbling from the edge of the woods directly across from me. They circled around behind me, through the fencerow, gobbling the whole way. They circled all the way around and crossed into my field again. They both came full srut and walked right into my decoys. I drew undetected, settled the pin on the bigger one, still in full strut, broadside, and squeezed the trigger. The shot felt and looked good. The big tom ran out about 40 yards and....gobbled!!! shocked I didn't do more than cut a few feathers. blush Both these birds backtracked their original route, gobbling the whole way. Dang.

Twice more in the next few hours, these same birds (I think) came out to look again, but never came close enough for another shot. These were the only birds seen this morning. Doug never even heard one. frown

Dave met us for a picnic lunch in the field. It was hot. 85 degrees. He helped Doug move to another field while I moved my blind into the woods where I heard all the gobbling this morning.

Just a couple hours later, I received a text from Doug: BBD! He had a tom and three hens go by him out of range. They were following the edge of the woods. He got out of his blind and ducked into the creek bottom and got ahead of them. They came right by him at 20 yards. He made a good shot and his hybred dropped in the plowed field about 40 yards away. His first archery bird weighed 22 lbs, with an 8 1/4" beard. The spurs were both over an inch long and very sharp. Probably a 3 year old bird, and according to Dave, an exceptional bird for this area.

full-20096-8028-bird.jpg

I had a nice long conversation with a big tom all afternoon, but he never got closer than about 60 yards. Right at sundown a lone hen came in and flew up to roost-RIGHT ABOVE ME. Two big toms strolled through a bit later, no interest in my decoys. I was just starting to gather my gear for the walk out and I opened the door of my blind and looked out to see a BUNCH of birds running around the edge of the field. In the next 15 minutes I had maybe 4 big toms, 6 or 8 hens and at LEAST 15 jakes come in the woods around me to roost. Every one of these birds flew up within 60 yards of me. One actually dropped a doodoo on my blind. blush I was stuck. I waited till near dark to sneak out, still busting several birds out of the trees around me.

That was it for day 1. More later....more shots, more pictures, more wind......

Day 2. Monday, April 11. Cold, 31 degrees. Still windy, North 20 - 30+.

I went back to the same blind early. I knew it would have to be dark to get in under all those roosted birds. Jeez, it's still black thirty and they're already gobbling! I have never heard Easterns gobble in the pitch black before. They gobbled at coyotes, owls, each other and anything else that made a sound, including me. Unbelievable.

I did get set up in my blind without spooking any off the roost. A bunch of birds must have bailed last night after I walked through them all, as there were only about 10 or 12 birds left in the area. I did have a few jakes come close, but I was not yet ready to take one. Soon two longbeards walked past, showing no interest in my decoys. They headed out into the stubble field. (same pair from yesterday?)

I could see several birds out in the field, including some strutters. One was particularly interested in my calls and was obviously closer every time he gobbled. He went silent for maybe 5 minutes. (Including my miss yesterday, I just pulled off my second foolish, rookie mistake.) Instead of assuming he was coming in silent, as they often do, I pulled down one of my port windows to see where he had gone. Of course he was right there. PUTT! Gone. I'm still kicking myself for that move. I know better. Dang.

Other than one that circled the entire woods I was in, (3 times!) gobbling all the way, my morning hunt was pretty much over. But then I get the text from Doug. He's filled out! He called two toms away from 3 hens. They came in on a dead run and proceeded to kick the snit out of his full strut decoy. His shot was not perfect. The bird flew and ran into and across the creek, laying on the opposite bank. One more shot anchored him for good. I moved my blind back to the field edge and went to congratulate my buddy and take some photos before another nice picnic lunch.

full-20096-8043-dsc02876.jpg

We looked this bird over and noticed some definate differences from yesterdays bird. We decided it must be a Rio. Dave later confirmed it. This bird weighed 19 lbs, 8 1/2" beard with sharp 3/4" spurs. A great Rio Grande bird!

Since it was early, and warm, Doug decided he'd head back to the lodge and take care of his bird. Before he left, he helped me move his blind to another field we had not yet hunted. Doug would come back later and sit with me for the evening.

It was warm in the blind. After a nice nap and several hours of zero turkey activity, I called Doug to help move the blind again. I asked him where he thought all the birds he heard this morning were. We carried all our stuff way back across a huge hayfield, spooking a strutter and hen held up in a low spot along the way. After getting set up against the wooded creek, Doug headed back to the truck. He was hurting and decided 5 more hours in a turkey blind would not be very comfortable.

After just a couple calls, two jakes came into the field and straight into my lone hen decoy. I still was not very excited about shooting a jake, but with two tags in my pocket and barely one full day left in the hunt I decided if they gave me a good shot I'd have to take it. Well, one finally stood still at 18 yards. I was on automatic as the string came back smoothly, settling the pin high on the birds chest, smooth release. A good shot. The bird ran maybe 40 yards and did a nose dive in the plowed field. Yes! My first Kansas turkey, AND my first RIO!

DSC02883.jpg

It was still a few hours before sunset, so I hung the bird in a tree behind me and climbed back in the blind. There was a lot of turkey noises behind me, across the creek, but none on my side. Just before sunset one flew up right near me but I couldn't tell exactly where. When the second one flew, I pulled off the third foolish rookie mistake (second of the day for those of you counting. yes, I mean you Archerysniper laugh ) of the trip and AGAIN poked my head out a port window. This bird did not fly up to roost but just flew across the steep creek bottom and landed right next to my blind. Of coarse my face in the window, a mere 6' away, spooked him right back across the creek. Dang. cry This was another nice tom. My time was dwindling and these chances only come so often.

I headed back early to get a few photos before it got too dark. My bird weighed a wopping 13 1/2 lbs. with a beard almost 2 whole inches long. I couldn't have been happier!

It got up to 75 degrees today and the wind was finally letting up this evening.

More tomorrow. More action, more strutters, no more rookie mistakes. Thanks for reading along.

Day 3. Last day. Tuesday, April 12.

Finally, a beautiful morning. 40's, calm, clear. Perfect. smile

Doug came out with me this morning. We sat in the same spot as last night. Lots of gobbling in the area, at least a doz different toms could be heard in the early morning. This is what it's all about. The first to show was a jake, probably the buddy of my bird. He ran all over the big field we were watching.

Later a big tom from way across the field, 400-500 yards away. He came straight in, half running, half strutting. Straight in. I was ready. Then he stopped about 35 yards out and stood looking for a moment, then ran into the woods never to be seen again. WTH was up with that? I had my B Mobile jake and two hen decoys out. This spread worked for me the first morning and Doug the second morning, but it did not work with this tom.

Not long after, I looked down the edge of the field and saw a full fan right at the edge of the woodline just 30 yards away, no, two! These birds were in full strut the whole time I watched them. They were in and out of the woods, but never far enough into the field to offer a shot. They were as close as 20 yards but would not commit to the decoys. One finally flew across the creek, the other just melted into the trees. Humpf. At this point I probably should have pulled the jake decoy, but I didn't.

Soon there was a gobble close, on the other side of us. We had a short conversation and then a jake and a longbeard materialized from behind a wooded point about 50 yards away. The tom was in full strut the whole time, except when he chased the jake away, 3 or 4 times. I was sure he was going to come and chase my jake decoy, but no. He stood and strutted down in a low spot for a long time. I finally asked Doug to range him. "51 yards." "That's too far." Minutes later he said "44 yards." Then he slid into the woods. I told Doug to keep the rangefinder handy. If he came out again and stood still, I'd take the shot. They never came out. frown

All this action took place in the span of just a couple hours. It was probably the most fun I've ever had in one mornings hunt, but it was over. We packed all the stuff out across the big wheat field. I was headed back to my blind across the road for the remainder of my hunt.

Doug didn't think he could sit for another 8 hours, so he oppted for a nap back at camp. A pretty tempting thought at this point. He would come back later and join me. I napped in my blind for about an hour, calling a couple times. I never heard a peep. A lone hen came out at one point, but that was it. Doug texted me a few hours befor sunset to see if it was safe to come in. Sadly, it was. We sat till hunting hours were over and never saw another bird. My hunt was over.

We shot three birds in three days with archery gear. A huge success in anyones book. Two of the three were Rios. A dream come true for me.

Sure, I wish I would have filled my other tag. Sure, I wish the bird I did tag was bigger, but the past three days were anything but dissapointing. The areas we hunted were full of opportunity. The accomodations were first class. Dave did way more than we expected from him. Kansas is the fourth state I've taken a bird from and the seventh state I've hunted for them. It was a great three days.

Someday I hope to hunt Florida for the Osceola. If I could combine that hunt with an archery hog hunt, I could die a happy man.

Thanks for following along on my latest adventure.

Don, Can you email the picture please of the lodge at sunrise?

You like that one huh? I thought it was nice. I'll get it to you on Monday from my work computer.

Don, great story and thanks for sharing it. I really miss hunting down in Kansas and Missouri but it's just been tough the last few years to find the time to get down there with the hunting club I'm in. Which reminds me, I need to try and sell my membership before fall. Again, congrats on your hunt.

Rob

Exceptional! Will you find yourself in a Kansas ground blind next spring? smile

mmmmmmmmmm, maybe someday. I'd have no problem booking with AOA again, but probably my next (way) out of state trip will be to Florida for an Osceola. If I could manage to shoot a pig with my bow on that same trip, life would truely be good.