• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Vocalist

LMITOUT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two vocalists that have just wowed me with their range and pure vocal talent are Freddie Mercury and Chris Cornell. From the lowest of lows to the highest of highs, and every note inbetween.

I can't even think of a third guy that comes close.

Billy Corgan is another one of my favorites.

I'm a huge Pumpkins fan, and Billys nasal inspired singing is a big part of why I'm a fan, but I don't consider him a great vocalist.

I guess I'll go with Ian Astbury to round out my top three.

Bruce Dickinson and Rik Emment have already been mentioned, and those two would be on my list.

While not a great singer, Ian Gillen of Deep Purple had a great feel for his songs.

For a nice pure singing voice, Paul Rogers of Free and Bad Company is hard to beat.

Though he does not fit into the hard rock/metal genre, Todd Rundgren is an amazing singer AND musician.

A good friend of mine used to mix sound for a metal band and toured all over the place for years. He told me guitar players are a dime a dozen but if you can find a person that can belt out a tune you have the potential for one helluva band that will stand the test of time and survive for not only years, but decades.

Having said that......

1. Freddie Mercury

2. Robert Plant

3. Nancy Wilson...or is it Ann???? I get them mixed up.

RIP RJD. frown

Eddie Vedder is my favorite, by far. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Steve Perry from Journey. He has one of the most classic vocal performances of all time in "Don't Stop Believin'".

Guys can't say that they like Steve Perry. cool It's a rule.

Got to throw Joan Jett from Runaways/Blackhearts on there too.

DD

My gripe about Joan Jett is she seemed to get her entire get-up from Leather Tuscadero on Happy Days. Even her hairstyle. And yes, Happy Days preceeded Joan Jett