• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasants this winter, how are they doing ?

I have'nt spent much time out in farm county since pheasant season ended and just wondering what some of you guys are seeing. Looking at a snow depth map it looks like it might be a tough season next fall. The snow was already pretty deep in a lot of areas back in december and the cover was getting pretty well buried and since we've had a lot of winter with above average snows, below average cold and and a heck of freezing rain event just before new years. Just looks bad IMO and its only the first week of feb.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to see what some of the more edgumacated people say about this, but I would think that snow depth gives them more protection from the elements but also prohibits finding food.

At anyrate, i hope it doesn't take too much of a toll on the birds.

I have been seeing quite a few along the roads in the Morris area. They are usually near crp fields and swamps. I think the snow is hard enough that they are walking on top of it pretty good but I do agree that the deep snow will bury the food. Lets hope we get a warm spring.

I have a few spots of thickets by swamps and a creek that I fox hunt. These spots have had Pheasants Forever feeders there since the late fall.

I was seeing birds at these feeders all winter up until about a month ago. Some spots with a dozen or better for birds.

I drive by these spots 4-5 days a week and have not seen one bird for a month.

I do believe they are taking a very hard hit this winter in my area.

Avian predators, especially owls can be really hard on pheasants. If you get a few that key in at a feeding station, they usually get plucked off one-by-one until there's none left.

I put out cracked corn in our backyard and have up to 10 birds coming in daily, mainly roosters. I know there were 20+ birds including a pile of hens going into winter so I'm a little concerned. I haven't seen any hawks but I know there are coyotes & fox around. Might be time to invest in a varmint rifle.

It is really bad across much of the pheasant range. Deep snow in the sloughs and few if any open spots in the fields. Just bad all around.

Repeated cold temperature cycles.

Avian predator : OWLS. Most shelter belts do not provide the same level of cover and protection from birds as cattails do. Owls will take plenty of birds this time of year. They are territorial and will keep coming back until their quarry is gone.

After today a warm up is in the offing. Fields will start to open up again. A lot of the boys and girls here are sleeping in the spruce and pine trees. Makes it tough for an owl to get at them. The pheasants stay in the brushy plum and sumac cover on the edge of the yard during the day. Our feeder is placed there. Watched a few days ago as a red-tail made a dive at them. There was too much cover for it to penetrate and the pheasants outside of it easily moved in underneath. Placing feed out in the wide open would appear to be a death sentence here. Overall I'd say the birds are doing better than I would've expected. We still are seeing 15 - 30/day and more hens now than earlier in the winter.

Honestly this is two back to back horrible winters for pheasants. They absolutely can not be doing good. We have had constant deep solid snow cover pretty much steady since end of November. No real breaks and very little if any open spots to find feed/cover. It will take a few great springs and some mild winter to recover. We get anything less than perfect nesting conditions this spring and next fall will be a near complete wash in my opinion...

The 5 that have been coming in feeding on the spillage from my bird feeders at home are all gone. I started dumping a little corn too. Havent seen them in days now.

We were down to a lone rooster for the last week+, and he has now disappeared.

Well I'm going to the game farm on Monday so maybe I'll miss one or two as an investment for next season

You are better off not missing. That bird wont make it to spring if you miss. Not only that the fox, coyote, or eagle that gets the kill will be mad at you for giving them an appetizers of a meal. Game farm birds are TINY. Ive been to a game farm twice, and that was because it was a free hunt. I wouldn't spend the money to hunt a game farm unless I was really bored or rich!

Or join PF! 25 years coming up for my county chapter.