• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got caught hunting without a licence. Please read and give your input

Goldy33

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That might be but it doesn't justify hunting illegally. Yesterday I slid through a red light because it was icy. I am still guilty of running the red light even though the city hadn't applied any salt/sand. The fault does not fall on the city because I failed to drive appropriately for the conditions. It is still my own fault and not the city's.

Are you though? The fault might not fall on the city, but it might not fall on you either. Just because something happens, doesn't mean that someone is at fault. Are you gonna charge any of these people with a crime? Could be quite the fundraiser. ( this is in Duluth)

I think the atta boys are coming because its an unfortunate set of circumstances and he did make a worthy attempt to follow the law.

That is until he "CHOSE" to hunt without a license. Unfortunate the system was hosed up....yes. Regardless of the circumstances he was in the wrong and I agree with Tom7227. Don't understand the attaboys offered here.

We should know the laws before purchasing the license and should be responsible enough to abide by them. wink

Pulleye hit it on the head. Tough nuggies. If my kid pulled a boner like that he would have been sittin on a stump with a camera and been the camp cook. One of those things ya learn in life; take care of business. Go ahead, stay stubborn. See what it'll get ya. Sounds like it got ya a bunch of grief. I'm surprised Pa let ya go out with a gun and no license. No violins from me.

just to clarify, from page 59 of the regulations on licensing:

All deer licenses (archery, firearms, muzzleloader) may be purchased

at any time before or during the season. However, a license purchased

on or after the day the respective season opens is not valid until the

second day after the day it is issued (for example, a license issued on

Saturday would not be valid until Monday). A “day” means midnight

to midnight. The “respective season” refers to the first season for which

I am no lawyer but the bolded part could be why the charges were dropped. It says right in the regs. that he may buy a license, only, he couldn't due to no fault of his own. I am not saying it is good to hunt without a license, but when it says you can buy one at any time before the season then you should be able to buy one at any time before the season. If they can not provide that service then they should change the law to a license can be purchased up to one week before the season.

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Kinda fitting in this situation.

Changing the rule to buying it a week before season doesnt do squat. What if the computer system is down on the final hour of license purchasing the week before season if that was the law?

Absolutely nothing.

Dont wait until the last minute to do things in life.

Guilty as charged I am afraid.

To me a clean record is worth more than the gun or the fine. Whenever I go to court for a violation, I'm usually most concerned with how to keep it off my record. You never know when a future employer, landlord, fiancee, lender, IRS, etc is going to try to pull your record and learn something about you from the information they gather. Keep your credit clean, and your record clean, it'll save you money, headaches, and embarrassment.

There are plenty who have been turned away at the Canadian border for having a DUI or marijuana possession that is several years old. You're in a vehicle with a group of fishing/hunting buddies and you can't go in. Now what?

I'm considering applying for a state trooper job in another state. Right about now, I'm thankful I have nothing to be ashamed of on my criminal or driving records.

It sucks not hunting for a morning with your dad, but you really have to think long term.

I have a friend who got his 4th DUI recently. The last one was a felony. No one has any sympathy for a man with 4 DUI's, nor should they. He can't even own a gun. He won't go hunting again for the rest of his life. Or at least 10 years if he can have his record expunged. He can forget traveling to many out-of-country destinations. He can't vote (as far as I know). And he's having a hellacious time trying to get hired any where. That felony is killing him, about the time he gets to the 2nd or 3rd interview.

The situation sucked. I'm sure I would've been upset. But is it really worth having that sort of violation on your record? You're lucky you didn't shoot some 175 inch 10 pointer. I think they charge you by the inch. Some of those poached monsters they have at the state fair came with huge fines. I think I saw $3000.00 if memory serves.

Thanks for writing this up though. It'll give me a little ammo when I'm trying to convince my son and nephew not to wait until Friday to get their license. I've had to run to a couple different stores trying to find one that was up and running late on Friday before, and I won't do that again.

Hold it!.....Hold it! Second sentence in first paragraph. "Whenever I go to court for a violation....."

Are we to conclude you are in court frequently for violations? If you have been there repeatedly you must be accumulating quite a rap sheet.

I say good for Goldy33, he maybe didn't make the smartest choice in the world but he should have never been in that situation in the first place, the DNR license system was messed up and I am glad the Judge tossed the case out. Ya the "law is the law" in my biggest baddest internet voice!!! Come on, the law is the law until the the DNR doesn't let you buy a license. The Judge used a little common sense, nice to see once in a while.

Now I will just sit back and wait for those "holier than thou" to come and slam me.

Hold it!.....Hold it! Second sentence in first paragraph. "Whenever I go to court for a violation....."

Are we to conclude you are in court frequently for violations? If you have been there repeatedly you must be accumulating quite a rap sheet.

I didn't write that statement, but I've been in the same boat. I've been to court for multiple things. Speeding tickets, lighting off fireworks where they weren't allowed (which i wasn't doing, but took the fall for the group), parking on the wrong side of a road and other minor stuff. Violations are different than crimes. A parking ticket is a violation, but no crime. (crimes can also be violations too)

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Fact of the matter is, this guy went hunting with out a license. If the Judge cuts you a break because of the story, Lucky you! If not, I do not blame him. You shouldn't have been out there with out a license. However, you were honest, and lets hope that works in your favor and you get your gun back and NEVER make the same mistake again. I bet you will buy your licenses in advance from now on.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Fact of the matter is, this guy went hunting with out a license. If the Judge cuts you a break because of the story, Lucky you! If not, I do not blame him. You shouldn't have been out there with out a license. However, you were honest, and lets hope that works in your favor and you get your gun back and NEVER make the same mistake again. I bet you will buy your licenses in advance from now on.

But I do agree with your second paragraph wholeheartedly.

I wouldn't give him an "atta boy," but based on the fact he did make an attempt to purchase a license and didn't harvest a deer, a fine should have sufficed. I don't see a reason to take his gun away.

It sounds like he didn't get a fine, which was the judges decision, not his or any of ours. I would guess Goldy won't make that mistake again. If he's back here next year or a year or two with a similar story than I would have a much different take on the matter.

I was not really sure where I was going to hunt until literally last minute, I usually hunt with my step dad up north and with my dad being an on the road truck driver he was not for sure if he would be back.

You do realize this is not a valid reason to purchase a hunting license late correct??? Deer hunting licenses are no longer zone specific and therefore you could have bought it weeks ahead of time and when asked what zone you think will be your primary zone given your normal zone.

Glad your getting it worked out and hope you get your gun back but I still believe you were at fault. I just don't think it warrants losing a gun over but then again the law is the law.