• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Info on Different Brands of Crossbows

delmuts

I feel guilty of posting here as i feel this isn't really archery,BUT !! cry I was told yesturday that my days of shooting a bow are over!( been doing it for over 40 years!) So if i want to continue to hunt in the archery season it will be with a crossbow( yes we are allowed to with a dr. excuse). Anybody have first hand knowledge of the different brands and models?

Man... that's a bummer! I feel the same way about crossbows, but if I were to get injured and not be able to bowhunt with a bow in a traditional manner, I'd find something that'd let me hunt during the archery season. I know one guy who shot an elk and two does with a compound and a mouth tab (drawing with his mouth and one good arm) after he had shoulder surgery. If I couldn't do that, I'd be forced to look at crossbows.

I know nothing about crossbows (and I hope I never do!), but I wish you luck in your search.

After falling from my tree in Oct. and not knowing what was wrong with my drawing shoulder right away I too felt guilty just walking by and glancing at crossbows. After 2 months and numerous Dr appointments and Xrays, finally an MRI showed that it was a broken bone under a tendon that was the issue. What blew my mind was how expensive some of these crossbows were. I believe like most things you get what you pay for. I did also overhear a couple of guys that had shoulder surgery talking at Cabelas saying dont waste your money on other brands and get a Ten Point crossbow. The price depends on if you want high end or low end. Some come with a crank that draws your crossbow. If you could find somewhere that will let you test fire like a normal bow would be better off. Dont feel bad if I couldnt draw a bow Id trade my mathews in and that would be one of the hardest things to do.

same here. i bought a crossbow for my dad so he could hunt during the bow season for the cold got to him as he is in his 80's. now he gave that up,[i dont want to face that day], and i have it back. i have worked in cold temperatures as a meat cutter for 35 years and i know when my time comes i will use the crossbow as well. good luck.

I don't feel guilty at all about owning a crossbow, hunting with it, and posting this reply. I have severe back problems, and had to go with a crossbow, instead of compound equipment.Anyway, I first bought a Parker Tornado compound crossbow,but has issues with it. I finally went with an Excalibur recurve crossbow, and haven't looked back. If I buy a second compound crossbow, it will be a Ten Point.

why would anyone critisize anyone who needs to use a croosbow anyway. people who hunt with one go hunting for the same reasons than everyone else does. it may be for many physical reasons and knowone should be excluded to enjoy our outdoors. good luck.

You might consider a draw lock. Buddy of mine has one. tradtional compoun bow looking but has a holding feature that allows the bow to be fully drawn and released by a trigger type device.

Id have no reservation at all going to a cross bow when the time comes. Its IMO a close quarters game either way.

My uncle has had multiple strokes over the years and is now forced to use a crossbow he took a 5x6 elk in montana this year 35 yard pass through. I help him sight in his crossbow for him every year never been off so far and very accurate out to 60 yards. He shoots the stryker made by bowtech spendy highend xbow and if I remember right it's pushing around 405 fps. He had a horton before that wich was also a bow had a few problems over the years. My other friend shoots a tenpoint wich is also a very good bow.

I have help guide for a handi capped hunt for years and I have seen many type crossbows.

For the hunters that come and do not have any equipment, we give them a Barrett to use. Good crossbow that will get the job done for not too much on the funds end of it.

Going to what I have seen as the ultimate in crossbows is the Ten Point. They range in price depending on what you add on. I believe some have auto cocking devices for those who cannot do it for lack of strength.

Del, if you need a crossbow to continue to archery hunt, have at it. I have seen many a smile on people's faces when they have shot a deer with one. The thrill is just as good.

I know some think its cheating but if I was given the choice of the 2, I would use my compound as I believe its has more hitting power downrange. They are great inside 30 yards.

Go get one so you can still enjoy the sport of archery.

why would anyone critisize anyone who needs to use a croosbow anyway. people who hunt with one go hunting for the same reasons than everyone else does. it may be for many physical reasons and knowone should be excluded to enjoy our outdoors. good luck.

What he said.

Luckily, at age 60, I still don't have a problem pulling back my compound but when the time comes, I won't hesitiate to go that route.

Thanks guys! It is just hard in that i have shot a bow for so long, and always felt proud of having my shooting to be very effective on deer, so a crossbow seems a step down.

It was not a good conversation with the orthr. sugeon moday. The first thing he said when he came into the room was i'm sorry!! confused He then went on to say that he had noticed that i was very active, and this was going to put a bind to my life! It seems when i fell back in Oct. it just made things worse, but much of the damage had been done a few years back.( over time) It is my understanding that the rotator cuff is made up of four tendons and muscles, I have three of the four tore, with the main one being completely severed, detached, and so far from the muscle that there is now way to reatached. The fourth one is feathered.

The phsy. therapist ( whom i've known since he was little) read over the report and had me move my arm. All he could say was " you shouldn't be able to do that with this much damage!" grin( i told him i was an over achiever! grin) That is why a cocking device is mandated! He also shoots a bow, and was the one to say i was done doing that! The fishing and golf are still a go !( so far!! if they take those away from me; then just shoot me!)

I hope to get to a few places for a "hands on " while looking for a crossbow.

Guess i'll put the bow back in a corner and give my fishing rods a HUG! grin

There are so many options with the crossbow's the best idea is to do what you suggested and go and try them out.

I have had both shoulders operated on due to the rotator cuff issues and I had to take one fall off. I had a trip planed to Montana for a whitetail hunt. MY surgeries went very well so I was lucky there.

Good luck on the search Del.

I have a Horton and it has been a good one for me. I felt it was a good mid price range xbow. Now if I could only pull the trigger on a deer then it would be a real good xbow this year. I think I have 1 last day to hunt this year. I know for myself I just came to the realization that if I wanted to bow hunt, the crossbow was the only way. Believe me, it is a little easier but you still have to get a deer close and bring the xbow up without getting busted. It is still bow hunting!

Sorry to hear about the bum shoulder, sounds painful! There's nothing wrong with hunting with a crossbow but if you really enjoy shooting your compound, there may be options out there. What about shooting left landed? Get 50# limbs and over the course of the summer, I'd bet you could become pretty darn accurate. Just a thought.

I've heard of rotator cuff problems for archers quite a bit over the years. I wonder if shooting 50# vs 70# would have any long-term benefit? I know the physical therapists will say to stretch and train the muscles with strength exercises prior to shooting but who has time for that? If lowering draw weight would help keep a bow in my hand until I'm 80, I'd do it. Any comments?

Based on my own experience with the rotator cuff issue, holding the bow out in front with the right arm (I'm a lefty, so I know the "other side")and a bad rotator is going to be extremely painful. eek Been there this past summer, and my orthopaedic talked to me about the long-term realities--surgery and then the likelihood that bow hunting will be over. It hurt just to read the extent of Del's injury, which is far more severe than the microtears I'm dealing with. Your intentions are noble, S and S, but until you've had a rotator cuff injury as severe as his injury, it's hard to understand just how debilitating it can be. Climbing into a tree stand alone will be a big challenge post-surgery, and hunting with a crossbow beats sitting at home all fall. Good luck, Del. 2c

I realize that people shoot light weight bows the time with success. If theres a question about accidental shoulder shots on mature deer at 30 yds, I would personally feel better holding a crossbow. My pride wont get in the way of a clean quick kill in my opinion. Drawing a bow in 50 degrees is different than 10 degrees. Even though 50 lb draw weight doesnt seem that much, when its cold and a bruiser comes in range I wouldnt want to struggle pulling back then shaking when trying to concentrate on the shot. Your body failing on you can be disapponting and frustrating already. No need to add to that. You only know yourself if you could confidently pull back in a hunting situation. If not use a crossbow. 2c

Good to know engfish - obviously until it happens to you or someone you know, you have no idea of what you're capable of. Sorry to hear you're having to battle through it as well. I know how hard it would be to hang the bow up & was merely offering alternatives. In hindsight, it sounds like the crossbow might be the only option at this point. Any option that allows you to continue to hunt is a good option!

Here's my rundown on the different brands of crossbows, like has been said it all depends on what you want to spend. In my opinion the best crossbow for the money is the Ten Point Titan HLX, with the accudraw cranking system the price is 799.99 at a big box store, 849.99 at a proshop, where you buy it from is completely your choice. I've shot the hortons and barnetts, I'll stick with the tenpoint. The trigger is a much better put together system then either the barnett or horton without going into to much technical info. If money is no option then the Bowtech stryker or PSE Tach 15 are both great options. Ten point also has Higher end crossbows such as the Turbo XLT. I've also been impressed with Ten Point's accudraw system. I've torn a few apart and they seem to be a very reliable design. The other thing that I love about Ten Point is the customer service. They are impressive. I've had customers crossbows that have been shipped out and back within 5 days. If it's something that can be fixed in house they mail the parts usually next day. Hopefully thats not to much information to digest, if you're ever in the Duluth area swing by GM and I'll let you shoot a couple. Ask for Nick

That'a the kind of info i'm looking for."Hopefully thats not to much information to digest," Not a probllem. grin( i was a cnc operator,layout inspector, with a back ground in mechanical engineering tech.)

I'm in the looking stage and trying to determine what my budget is going to be for one.

Right now we are still in the stage of trying to decide what i CAN do and not so any more damage to it.( it does help that my phys. therapist bow hunts , and fishes, plus his partner is a scratch golfer! grin) I am kind of shocked after finding out how much damage there is! It never seemed to be that bad.

Well. My search continues! I was looking seriously at barnet crossbows, but was reading some reviews where some of the guys had limb problems, and the company hadn't returned thier calls or e-mails in several weeks!!

I have to have one that has a crank or cocking device.( was told the shoulder won't take the stress of pulling a rope) Ten Points' device cost $240!. Another brand wants $150 for thiers. The search goes on!