• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

October Lull?

matchset

I hunt in SE MN and when I was down the last weekend in Sep., acorns were falling like raindrops and I saw A LOT of deer in the woods. I have never seen that much deer activity deep in the woods this early... usually they're still really working the fields. I have a feeling that with a great acorn crop and tons of ag crop damage from severe storms, the acorns could be very hot for the better part of the season. I think most guys who refer to the October lull are seeing when deer move from fields to acorns in october, but this year I think the acorns have been and will be hot for the majority of pre-rut. Just my .02.

I think its safe to say the bucks are off any early season patterns and we might be experiencing a little bit of an early lull.

My theory on the "lull" is the deer are reacting to a combination of leaf drop and a big loss of cover they had experienced all summer, hunting pressure (bow, small game, duck, other), and the constantly changing food sources. I also suspect the big bucks know the "pre-season" will be heating up late Oct so they are resting up and focusing on filling their belly's without a lot of movement in between.

Ive seen more big bucks than I ever have this season! Ive had a 4 1/2 year old buck come out into the wide open 40 minutes before dark for 2 nights in a row over the past week. Ive never seen that the first week of October. Ive seen many of the bucks in my area still in bachelor groups too... I know the oncoming heat will shut down any action ive had though. Been a fun early season either way! Ill stay away till prerut now!

I think its safe to say the bucks are off any early season patterns and we might be experiencing a little bit of an early lull.

My theory on the "lull" is the deer are reacting to a combination of leaf drop and a big loss of cover they had experienced all summer, hunting pressure (bow, small game, duck, other), and the constantly changing food sources. I also suspect the big bucks know the "pre-season" will be heating up late Oct so they are resting up and focusing on filling their belly's without a lot of movement in between.

+1. In a few weeks and a little cold snap, those bigger bucks will be moving sometime during the day or night.

+1. In a few weeks and a little cold snap, those bigger bucks will be moving sometime during the day or night.

Agreed. I was going to go out last night but it was a little too warm out. Sometimes I think less is more. Decided to save my spots for when the conditions are a little more on the optimal side.

didnt hunt tonite decided I better mow the lawn since it hasnt been mowed in almost a month. When I finished I took the wheeler for a ride down a back road Its about four miles long I seen over 60 doe's and fawns plus 2 young bucks out in the picked beans and it was still light enough to shoot.

I am going to ND today for a few days. I was going to do a little hunting but with this heat, I am going to set up some stands and camera's and call it good.

Way to warm for any of the noicer bucks to move and its to hot to deal with a dead doe.

I can and will wait. Lots of good hunting to come soon.