• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dish network vs fox sports

pushbutton

i called the number on the tv when it was on and it led me to contact dish. when i contacted dish they tried to give me the number for the president of fox or something like that.....so i talked to a rep and they said that fox is increasing the contract fee by 50% and dish doesn't want to pay cause it "will cost the customers" is what they told me. I asked if i could get out of my contract because of the channels not being there and they said i could not without paying the cancelation fee. the rep did say that normally in her 7 years when similar situations came up the parties usually agreed in the next week and the channel was reinstated

this is fox's response............i suppose the truth lies somewhere in the middle.....to bad when billionaires can't figure out how to split up the money!!!!!!

At Midnight, September 30, 2010, DISH Network wrote another chapter in its legendary history of irrational negotiations with television programmers by allowing the expiration of its carriage agreement to carry Fox’s 19 regional sports networks, FX, and National Geographic Channel. On October 31, the satellite operator’s agreement to carry Fox television stations also expires.

“We’ve been attempting to negotiate with DISH

for almost six months,” said Mike Hopkins, President, Fox Networks Affiliate Sales and Marketing. “We have made fair and reasonable proposals that are consistent with our agreements with hundreds of other cable and satellite companies with which DISH competes, and they have yet to engage in a constructive dialogue.”

Hopkins went on to state that DISH’s press releases are making ridiculous claims. “Their suggestion that we’re seeking a 50 percent increase in programming fees is flatly wrong. It’s completely disingenuous for DISH—a company that is on pace to extract more than $10 billion dollars in revenue and $3 billion in profits from its subscribers—to suggest that we are bullying their customers. Their tactics of promoting untrue accusations and removing programming is standard procedure for them.”

Fortunately viewers have options and can visit www.getwhatipaidfor.com : or call 877-994-7243 to find an alternate provider in their area.

DISH’s actions will deny fans more than 5,000 live sporting events over the coming year featuring the National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League, Major League Baseball, and college football and basketball. The 19 Fox regional sports networks that DISH has dropped include: FOX Sports Arizona, FOX Sports Carolinas, FOX Sports Detroit, FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Houston, FOX Sports Indiana, FOX Sports Kansas City, FOX Sports Midwest, FOX Sports North, FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports Oklahoma, FOX Sports Southwest, FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Tennessee, FOX Sports West, FOX Sports Wisconsin, Prime Ticket, SportSouth, and Sun Sports.

DISH subscribers will also miss some of the most-watched shows on cable, including FX’s Sons of Anarchy, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Justified. National Geographic Channel fans will be unable to watch The Dog Whisperer, Border Wars, Locked Up Abroad, and November’s Great Migrations, the channel’s most-anticipated documentary series ever.

If DISH Network decides to no longer carry the Fox Television Stations, viewers in major national markets would lose American Idol, Glee, House, The Simpsons, National Football League games, and the World Series on FOX. DISH’s contract with Fox’s television stations is expiring in the following markets: Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Gainesville, FL, Houston, Los Angeles, Memphis, Minneapolis, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Tampa, and Washington D.C.

DISH has a lengthy history of denying its subscribers the television programming they want. At Midnight last night, DISH dropped MSG Network and MSG Plus. In May of this year, DISH threatened to drop the Weather Channel and currently is keeping the popular Disney HD channels and Fuse Network from its viewers.

In 2004, DISH discontinued carriage of Viacom programming that included MTV, Nickelodeon, and CBS broadcast stations. In 2005, DISH eliminated Outdoor Life Network for six months, and in 2006, it stopped carrying Lifetime Networks.

In 2008, DISH stopped carrying the 20 local television stations owned by Young Broadcasting and Fisher Communications. And DISH has refused to carry the YES Network, the television home of the New York Yankees.

Fox Networks Affiliate Sales and Marketing is a unit of Fox Networks Group (FNG) and includes 37 domestic programming services in which FNG holds interests. Together these networks reach more than 550 million subscribing television homes and represent one of the media industry’s largest and most diverse programming groups. Fox Networks Sales and Marketing distributes FX, National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, Fox Reality Channel, Fox Movie Channel, FUEL TV, FSN and 19 regional cable sports networks, SPEED, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Soccer Plus,, Fox College Sports, Fox Deportes and the Big Ten Network (co-venture with the Big Ten Conference). FNG also includes the FOX broadcast network, Fox Digital Media, and Fox Sports Enterprises, which manages interests in sports franchises and leading statistical information provider STATS, LLC.

Fox Cable NetworksScott Grogin, 310-369-4733 [email protected] : mailto:[email protected] Brian

Peterson, 310-369-0009 [email protected] : mailto:[email protected]

Just another in a long list of reasons to DUMP Dishnetwork and go to Direct TV...

This is the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. Called Direct TV already, and set up for installation. I have been a very long standing customer with Dish, but I have had enough. Done deal!

I have Dish Network and luckily I am not under contract so I am going to switch to Direct TV. I see they were running a promotion recently for free HD for life but I dont have a HD tv yet. Will an HD reciever work on a regular tv? Also, when you switch, does Dish Network come pick up your equipment or do you have to pay to ship it to them? The only problem I see is I dont think they will be able to get it installed before Tuesday when Sons of Anarchy is on. Luckily the baseball playoffs are on a different network.

I have Dish Network and luckily I am not under contract so I am going to switch to Direct TV. I see they were running a promotion recently for free HD for life but I dont have a HD tv yet. Will an HD reciever work on a regular tv? Also, when you switch, does Dish Network come pick up your equipment or do you have to pay to ship it to them? The only problem I see is I dont think they will be able to get it installed before Tuesday when Sons of Anarchy is on. Luckily the baseball playoffs are on a different network.

They will send you a box to ship all your equipment in from Dish Network. You can choose to use their postage and pay $15.00 to ship it back, or you can use any carrier of your choice.

I will be looking into a different carrier( USPS, UPS, FedEx) to ship mine back before I will pay the $15.00 they would charge me if I use their return postage they send with the box.

I switched from Dish to Direct about two years ago. For the last year or so Dish Network has called about two/three times a week trying to get me to switch back. If for some reason I stop my service with Direct tv. I will not go with Dish network just because of all the called im getting now.

This was the final straw for me as well. I don't believe I am under contract anymore so I will be switching to my local fiber optic network at a fraction of the cost I was paying for Dish Network. No more rain outages either.

Dish used to be great but I keep losing channels. Not to mention nobody should have to pay over $100 a month for cable. Too many hidden fees.

$10 a month per HD receiver (X2)

$5 per receiver for no phone line (X2)

$20 in taxes/fees, etc.

Equals out to about $50 worth of B.S. charges per month and I'm not even getting premium channels.

Goodbye Dish...it was a nice ride.

Has anyone had any luck challenging the cancellation fee when switching?? It seems to me that Dish Network isn't offering the service they promise when channel's drop suddenly????? Just wondering if anyone has succeeded. I can't understand the business side of this for Dish Network. Very few if any people would have an issue if the bill went up a dollar or two and was explained as a new contract agree to for such and such a channel.....

In fairness to Dish they like all company's are trying to do whats in their best interest financially.

Fox is no angle in this deal and I'm sure they are trying to screw Dish over as far as what they want them to pay.

They'll get a deal done eventually.

I would assume that you'll find a statement in the fine print saying that you agree to pay any fee increases. Therefore, you'd still be on the hook to cancel.

A few years ago the Big Ten and NFL networks pulled the same trick as Fox. All of the networks see that there is more money to be made. So this is what I believe happens as a generic example:

1) Network A (ESPN, Fox, NFL Network, USA, etc.) decides that they need more revenue. They currently charge all DirectTV/Dish/Comcast 25 cents per channel.

2) When their contract comes up with each provider, they try to negotiate 50 cents per channel.

3) The provider (DirecTV/Dish/Comcast) balks and says that they don't want to pay that much more, because they either need to pass the cost onto their customers or charge separately (i.e. a premium channel).

4) Network A cries and launches a media campaign urging customers to switch to another "more reasonable" provider.

5) The provider states that they are looking out for the customers.

6) Customers bolt to another provider.

7) The provider gives in as they lose subscribers. They pay the higher network fee. Costs go up for us.

8) When the next Network/Provider contract comes up, repeat Step #2-7. Everyone moves to another provider again.

9) We all end up with $100-$200 monthly television bills.

Somebody please tell me that I'm wrong, because as I understand things, this is how it works.

i would assume that is pretty much the gig.....direct tv probably already has their contract singed for x number of years and were probably paying more than dish.....so if dish does finally cave in and sign for another x number of years, and when direct tv's contract comes up, dish will have a lower rate and direct tv will be crying foul. we can switch back and forth to save a few bucks here and there, but the writing on the wall is pretty clear, we will ultimately be paying more in the long run............as long as we "need" to watch 180 channels of mostly senseless garbage smile