• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early Season Doe Meat

WyoChris

I plan on using my doe tag this season, however, a doe walked right up to my stand today and I let it pass since I'm under the impression that early season meat usually doesn't taste very good.... so I'll just shoot bucks for now. I plan on going after does in late October/November.

Do you guys agree with this? Does the meat really taste a lot different in August/September? (I've never shot a an early season deer) What is your opinion?

Keep in mind, the Army has me down in Kentucky right now, so the temps are still fairly high.... highs in the 80s.

Thanks. I'd love to hear your opinions...

because of our high temps and we have a late august bull elk hunt in az that has always been a reason why i do not put in for it. but i do know others who have and they say the key is to get the hide of quickly and then pack the carcass in ice and off to the processor. i would think it would be similar key is always get the windpipe out first and start dressing. wind pipe is the fastest part to spoil. good luck no hunts for me this year got skunked on everything

I have shot antelope in Wyoming when it was 85 degrees. We butchered them immediately after harvest and they went right into a freezer that we had in the back of the truck. The freezer was run off a generator that was on the trailer pulling or ATV's. That tatsed as good as any antelope could taste. Granted an antelope doesn't taste as good as a whitetail.

Quick and proper processing of the meat is essential.

Early season deer taste different? That's news to me. I try to get an early deer if I can, never have noticed any difference. Just be quick to get it butchered, or at least quartered and in the fridge, don't try aging it in the daytime warm temps hanging in the garage.

I think that you'll notice a November deer being heavier and fatter. I have some trail cam pictures from early August of does with their ribs really showing. Once they start weaning off the fawns and eating acorns and corn, they will pickup some weight. As far as doe meat being different from buck meat, there is no difference, if they are the same age.