• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Ken and Steve Chronicles: Dawn at the Baptism

Hey all:

Ken and I hit the road at 5 a.m. yesterday to get down to the North Shore before sunrise. Spent a couple hours watching the sun come up and bathe the shore, including the mouth of the Baptism River and Palisade Head, in wonderful light.

We ranged up the shore nearly to Grand Marais over the course of the day, down as far as Hawk Ridge in Duluth, and hit a lot of inland fall color, too.

Sooooooo many images. So I'll start with the birds.

Enjoy!

Mergansers near the mouth of the Baptism River, sunrise

merganser-wall.jpg

Hawk Ridge crows and ravens on the dodge

at-play.jpg

Blue jay in the morning

jay.jpg

Breakfast for an osprey

osprey-outstretched.jpg

Osprey II

osprey-fish-sky.jpg

The loon of Palisade Head

loon-just-rust.jpg

loon-rust-and-blue.jpg

loon-at-the-head.jpg

A merlin courses Hawk Ridge

merlin.jpg

half-wings.jpg

Fun day as usual, Steve! I've only gotten to one card so far, and most of that was color so will post those now. Will add later as I get them done.

We were to the shore EARLY:

Sep2.gif

Sep1.gif

Most of the good color was on top the the hill, away from the Lake:

Sep-3.gif

Hole in the canopy:

Sep4.gif

Woods full of color:

Sep5.gif

Can you see us?

Sep6.gif

Painter's palette:

Sep7.gif

Chasing the dream:

Sep8.gif

Near Trestle Inn:

Sep10.gif

Here are some folks, some critters, and a couple other scenes.

There'll be fall color images to follow and, later today or tomorrow, some stitched fall color panorama images.

Hawk Ridgers

watchers1.jpg

watchers2.jpg

tally.jpg

Alone on big water

alone-1.jpg

Ken at work

ken-3.jpg

Baptism River angler tries his luck

trying-his-luck.jpg

angler-and-mergansers.jpg

Otters in the gloaming

silhouette.jpg

It wouldn't be a Ken and Steve outing without at least one deer shot. gringrin

doeandfawn.jpg

Here's my fall color, with panos to follow at some point.

These are all at various points inland between Ely and the North Shore. Color along the shore itself is not close to peak, nor is it peaking yet in Ely/Babbitt, though I expect excellent color this weekend. These really hot colors were about 4-10 miles inland from the North Shore, mostly up in the ridges of the Sawtooth Mtns, where I'd say peak definitely will be this weekend. Hope today's rain and wind doesn't knock too much down.

bog-creek-vert.jpg

diagonal.jpg

vista-ridge.jpg

honeymoon-from-below.jpg

still-waters.jpg

bog-creek.jpg

Okay. Here's card 2 - one card to go. Steve, that merlin REALLY turned out well!

Early morning geese over Lake Superior:

ss1.gif

Shadow boxing:

ss2.gif

On Golden Pond:

ss4.gif

Breakfast:

ss5.gif

Breakfast 2:

ss6.gif

Riding the Honeymoon Trail:

ss8.gif

Across Lax Lake:

ss11.gif

Lax Lake Deer:

ss12.gif

Forest Fire:

ss7.gif

Immature eagle:

ss13.gif

Good ones, buddy! I'm still wading through the panos. Takes awhile for the computer to chew on them. smile

Here they are:

A 12-image pano from captures composed vertically and overlapped slightly, using a tripod and the 70-200 at 200mm. Never did get the name of the lake.

twelveimagepano.jpg

A 7 image pano from the public landing at Lax Lake, same lens at 200mm, but with horizontal captures.

Lax-Lake-pano.jpg

The point east of Palisade Head, with the head being the farthest left piece of land. In the interests of full disclosure, I used photoshop to clone out the monster radio/cell tower on top of Palisade Head. This is a 4-image pano using horizontal captures from the 17-40 at 40mm.

Palisade-head-pano.jpg

Panos generally don't show to good effect on the screen. Way to big and full of detail to see that way. It IS a lot of fun to finish a pano and zoom in to 100-200 percent and look at all the detail in the individual trees, rocks, etc. smile

Here's the last of my odds and ends:

Sprucin' up in the morning:

sp1.gif

Lincoln sparrow with orange lichen:

sp2.gif

A very fortunate flicker shot:

sp3.gif

Sailing into the Harbor at Duluth:

sp4.gif

Whatever it takes:

ss9.gif

Storm coming into Duluth:

Sep11.gif

And a couple of panos:

ss14.gif

ss15.gif

Absolutely stunning guys!! Looks like its one of the better years as far as vibrant colors go. At least half of those I wouldn't be afraid to hang on my wall. Sure hope I can get some free time next week to check out the leave if the 6 inches of rain we got in central WI didn't tear them all off.

Looks like Steve is taking a beer bong in that one pic. grin LOL

Good one! Wouldn't be the first time. gringrin

Canon and other companies make coffee mugs that look just like Canon lenses. Maybe I could get them to produce a beer bong that looks like the 300mm f2.8L, with hood included. That'd hold a lot! gringrin

Thanks for the support, everyone. smile

Hwood, those contrails gave me fits. I've got two panos after the contrails drifted out of the composition, but the God light had dissipated by then. And we tried calling the otters back after the sun came up, but they wouldn't come. Durn uncooperative critters! gringringrin

I was down along the shore again with an excursion client today. Rivers are running like crazy, some fall color has come down up over the escarpment from wind/rain, but there are a lot of yellow and orange maples still to peak that weren't knocked down, so tons and tons left. I think this weekend will be the peak up top, with the peak along the shore coming a week from then.

Some VERY beautiful work gentlemen. The first image, intense....color, scale, totally killer shot. The in flight shots, very cool, excellent job on the exposure with the merlin images, and Ken, very cool bg color for your in flight flicker image,

suprising that the AF locked on with that bg! Steve, the huge curving line of the poplar tree juxtaposition to the thick old maple in number(?) looks totally awesome, great low shooting angle to enhance the height and grandeur of it all.

All sparrow images in this excellent series so far are savannah sparrows smile

Though it would be awesome to get Lincoln sparrows out on the rocks by the shore!