• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solar lights to find your stand in the morning?

Finlander

I was looking thru the newspaper flyers and one of the big box stores were advertising solar LED lights on sale rather cheap, when my pea brain had a weird idea, well maybe.

How about putting solar lights to your treestand so you could find your way in the dark! whistle

They will turn off when the sun rises, don't need any maintainence, and really couldn't hurt the hunting ifinz' you ask me!

Is this crazy or not?

It might be a touch crazy but hey if you want the light go for it. I think it would be smart to get them out well before season so the deer can get use to them. If you put them out a week before season the deer might avoid that area for a little while.

I think it would end up spooking the deer but who knows maybe they would get used to it. I would just stick to glow tacks and a piece of reflective tape on your stand and then just use a headlamp or flashlight if you have trouble finding your stand.

Guess it would work, as stated, I would get them out plenty early to allow the deer to adjust to them being there. Although, I don't know if I would do it on public land.....just another way to lead people right to your stand and the possibliity of them getting stolen. I wouldn't think so, but that wouldn't be against any regulations, would it?

I would be concerned with someone stealing the stand if they saw the lights. Why not just use a headlamp?

One could also use the marker tape and tie them to trees in a straight line to the stand.

They also make little reflector tabs on could attach to a tree. Hit it with a headlamp and there you are.

The ones we have in the yard only stay going for a few hours after dark and are not on in the morning when I go to work.

That's what I'm thinking.

And with cooler temps and longer nights, the burn time should shorten up even more.

Original idea but for me I could find something else to spend my money on. Like a GPS. Conversely, I've seen plenty of orange tape, and that stuff hangs around for years in the woods by people who subscribe to the Hansel and Grettle theory. If you haven't guessed, I'm all for leaving as small a footprint on the woods as I can. It might not scare deer, they certainly don't keep deer out of my garden.