• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to improve stability?

Jameson

Anyone have any tricks on improving how stable I hold my bow? It seems my left arm shakes, or moves some while attempting to hold the bow steady on the target. I have to imagine that this is due to poor stabilizer muscles in my shoulder and arm. Currently I am practicing by taking 5 shots. On each shot I try and hold it exactly on target for 10+ seconds before hitting the trigger. I do seem to be improving, but was wondering if any one had some tips.

Thanks

what weight are you pulling? do you have a front stabilizer tube on it? I had to drop the pull weight down on mine as the same thing was happening and then as i would get better i raised the weight to where i was comfortable. my son had the same problem the archery guy put a long stabilizer on his bow and it was like night and day.

smaller stabilizer.

60-70 pound bow set to the max. If things don't improve soon I will try dropping the pull down, but am hesitant to hunt like that as I've read a bow is most accurate maxed out.

First of all, drop the bow weight. I've been shooting bows for 30+ years and rarely shoot one that is maxed out on weight. Even 5 lbs. will make a big difference.

Secondly, you're probably right that the stabilizing muscles in your arm and shoulder are not strong enough, but trying to build strength in them while also working on shooting form is probably counter productive. I continually try to build strength in my forearm, upper arms and shoulders doing some basic weight workouts. A couple of dumbells with appropriate weight used 2 or 3 times per week will build strength in the muscles you need. But when shooting, I would work on good form, meaning the instant I feel like I've acquired the target, I touch the release. Hold the bow arm as steady as you can until you see the arrow impact the target (follow through). I shoot about 66 pounds on a 70 pound max bow, but if I tried to hold steady for 10 seconds once acquiring the target, I'd probably be a little shaky as well...especially after a few shots.

The longer stabilizer idea also makes a lot of sense as well...good luck!

smaller stabilizer.

60-70 pound bow set to the max. If things don't improve soon I will try dropping the pull down, but am hesitant to hunt like that as I've read a bow is most accurate maxed out.

Im not sure if dropping the weight is going to make your bow less accurate, a bow is more efficient when it is maxed meaning a bow with #70 limbs dropped all the way down to #60 might not be as fast as the same bow with #60 limbs on it maxed out but it shouldnt effect your accuracy any, its only going to be a little slower, at least thats the way Ive always understood it.

I would also go into a pro shop and see if they will let you at least try a longer and heavier stabilizer and shoot a couple shots with it on and see if that improves your form any, that way if it doesnt make a noticeable difference your not stuck with the bill for the new stabilizer.

O.K. I will drop the weight down. When I first got it two three years ago I started with it at 60 and had no problems with it being accurate enough. As it is right now I think my groups are just fine. I was just thinking in a hunting situation where I need to hold back for a longer period of time, I want to be prepared.

I think you're doing a good thing while practicing to hold for long times. Its a good habit to practice. Having a heavier/longer stabilizer is a good thing to consider unless your bow is too heavy already. Having extra mass out there will help slow down and reduce the amount of sway in the bow.

Reducing the weight will actually have very little effect on how much you're holding. If you think about it you're pulling 70-72 lbs with that bow maxed out. However, it has a let-off of probably 70%. That means at full draw you're only holding 21 lbs and if you reduced it down to 60lbs you're holding 18lbs at full draw. A change of only 3 pounds of holding weight. Thats a change of less than 5%. So I think it has little to do with your draw weight.

I'm thinking that you need to work on form and add a stabilizer. The stabilizer will help with the physics of the situation. The rest is up to you. That bow arm should be relaxed and slightly bent.

Does your arm feel tired after just a few shots? If so then I'm thinking the bow is heavy. The basic job of that bow arm is to "help" the draw, hold relaxed and carry the weight of the bow (usually 5-6lbs hunting weight).

I recommend trying a new stabilizer. Last year I switched to a 10" one. I thought it would get in the way but it didn't. Next I would work on holding your bow in your hand, even without drawing to build up those shoulder muscles. Down focus so much on shooting that that is an issue. Maybe shoot a few shots, then practice holding the bow up for longer and longer periods. I've had numerous times where I've held at full draw for a minute or more. Its a good skill to have. Its just one more thing that will make you a more well rounded archer. Good Luck.

With holding any bow back for 10 sec you will get shakey this will tend to lead to target panic or punching the trigger dropping the bows draw wieght will help another thing to look into is draw length if it's to long or short will lead too straining your muscels have someone watch you shoot your drawing arm should be straight in line from string to the wrist through the elbow all the was the your shoulder joint if the elbow is pointed away from your boady your draw length is to short is the elbow is pointed towards the middle of your back it's to long. A lot of people shoot a bow with the wrong draw length most will never know till someone else noticed it.

Everyone shoots differently but here is what works for me.

-Make sure your DL is correct.

-Lighten up on the weight. Deer dont care how deep the arrow goes into the ground after a passthrough.

-Think about using you back muscles while holding as they are a large muscle group.

-Forget about trying to keep you bow arm bent as you will use too much triceps. If you hold the bow correctly in your hand with an open grip and the handle in line with your forearm your arm will have a slight bend naturally.

-Push forward with your bow arm towards the target, Hook your finger around the trigger (if you use a release) and squeeze your shoulders together to get a good release.

-Many good videos of shooting form on the Web

Thanks for all the suggestions evryone.

Quote:

Does your arm feel tired after just a few shots?

No..... If I just take normal shots, not holding back for a long period of time, I could shoot all day. I will try just holding the bow up for a minute or so and see what that's like.

Just an FYI....I bought the Hoyt and had it set-up at Cabin Fever. I do believe my draw length is correct, 28 inches. The bow can be adjusted, I believe, from 27-30 inches. With it set how it is, it maxes out at 68 pounds, I just found it easier to go with 70 pounds for this thread.

Also I am not trying to shoot deer at great distances as I try and only take shots at deer out to 20 yards. I have had enough opportunity the last couple of years doing this. So, arrow speed is not that big of a deal to me, unless it makes me more/less accurate at 20 yards.

The training manuals I have read say to keep your bow arm straight. I have always kept mine straight, like a post as some trainers say. Also grip is very important. Your knuckles should be close to a 45 degree angle to the riser. And a relaxed grip. Dropping the poundage down will really help if your bow reacts ok. I shot 63 pounds for many years and dropped to 53 back in 2005 cuz of shoulder issues. I only hunt deer and it works just fine with the right arrow. (lottsa deer, 1 turkey lol) No problem pounding spot targets either. Lottsa good ideas on here for you to try. As 92 said, lottsa good stuff on the web. Good luck.

couple things come to mind. do you have a wrist strap that you use on your bow/bow hand? also with your arm straight and you pull back are you able to come back to your earlobe with your pull? if you are having to bend your arm to get the string back to your ear then the pull is too short, i had to have a longer loop added to mine as i shoot a 30 inch bow but have a 31 inch pull.

...i had to have a longer loop added to mine as i shoot a 30 inch bow but have a 31 inch pull.

Why would you add a longer D loop?- you lose the benefits of having a longer draw length. Using your full drawlength will result in a faster arrow with more KE and it will fit you better.

scoot, i could not comfortably pull, it caused me to either bend my elbow or not get back to my cheek where i was i felt better. I have not had any issues with it since doing the longer loop. it is not as long as one could imagine. Ill leave that comment open for interpretation.

If you want a easy way to hold back longer come to full draw take your hand that you draw with and drop it to your breast bone and tuck you elbow to your side you will not have much muscle strain and can hold it for a long time.

You guys know what your talking about.

1) Without drawing bow, holding bow out front of me, my shoulder and back muscles start to burn at about 45 seconds. Not acceptable, I will work on conditioning.

2) I checked how my draw length felt. Seems too short. If I put my arm out straight, knuckle draws to maybe inch ahead of ear lobe. Holding here is steadier than before. I recently tightened up the wrist strap on my trigger, thus shortening it. Going back to where I was before (3rd hole vs 4th hole) does feel better, but still short.

Looks like I'll be visiting the pro-shop. Better now than September 14th.

The best thing is it's easy to go from that back to your anchor point. This method has put alot of deer in the freezer that just would not step out from behind them darn trees so when they step out bring the string to anchor pick a spot and squeeze.

pretty cool, i will try it too, but today it was 117 in my back yard and 116 in town. so unless i want to practice in the middle of the night when it cools down to the mid 90's i will be holding off.

But they all say it's a dry heat were i'm going tomorrow is going to be 95% humidity and in the 80's.