• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shoot with quiver on or off?

rcook72

If you are sitting in a tree stand do you keep the quiver on the bow or take it off? I think I am going to start shooting with it on and practicing that way. I had the chance for a second shot on a doe that I hit a limb and missed but couldn't get to my arrows easily because they were hanging on the tree behind me.

I keep them off and hung for easy access on the tree. Missed a buck last year and he let me have a 2nd shot.Keep them hung so I can slide an arrow out with my right arm without reaching to far.

Off! Unless you practice with your quiver on, why shoot in the field with it on? I remove it from my bow in the stand and keep it in my pack in a spot that is easily accessible in case of a second shot opportunity.

Quiver comes off every time I am hunting. Murphy's law will bite you with just about anything that you're dealing with while bow hunting. So I try to eliminate one more item that could go wrong and that is removing the quiver from my bow.

I even go as far as removing an arrow from the quiver so I don't have to use two hands to remove an arrow from the quiver as they are set pretty tight in them.

I put the single arrow in a position so I can grab it with the minimal amount of motion. Usually in a branch that will hold it without a chance of it falling down on it's own.

Works for me! grin

I shoot with the quiver off for a better balance and quieter shot. I put my quiver in my backpack with one arrow removed and just resting in the quiver. I have shot multiple deer this way before and do not need it on my bow. Hunting out west where spot and stalk is the name of the game is another story. Then my quiver stays on and I practice that way.

Sooner or later you'll be faced with a situation where you'll have to shoot without the chance of taking the quiver off. For this reason, I shoot with my quiver on. I have a very lightweight quiver that mounts solid to the bow so there is no rattle. Just my opinion FWIW.

I should note I do take some practice shots with my quiver on because Donbo is right. I usually have shot opportunities walking into my stand at least once a season, sometimes multiple times. I have never connected or even taken a shot but it sure is fun to try.

Quiver comes off every time I am hunting. Murphy's law will bite you with just about anything that you're dealing with while bow hunting. So I try to eliminate one more item that could go wrong and that is removing the quiver from my bow.

I even go as far as removing an arrow from the quiver so I don't have to use two hands to remove an arrow from the quiver as they are set pretty tight in them.

I put the single arrow in a position so I can grab it with the minimal amount of motion. Usually in a branch that will hold it without a chance of it falling down on it's own.

Works for me! grin

Thats the same way I do it the quiver is never farther then a half arm reach away with another arrow loose ready to rock.

+1 for off, with arrow already pulled within easy reach.

Leech youve been a stranger bud. Good to see ya back.

MA, sorry about that. This time of year I'm all over doing honey do's-family do's for Ma, and just cant find one thing at a time to do! That's why I'm so easy to find in the winter. On the ice or on the sled! wink

I also have a two piece quiver that never comes off. I use a hard bow case that accomadates the bow with quiver attached. I just grab my bow and go. Never have to think about arrows. For me it's one less thing to worry about carring or hanging in a tree. This was not my plan, but the bow had the quiver on it when I bought it so I just got used to it. P.S. It helped last year when I had a pre mature trigger pull and the arrow flew and stuck in the ground 10 feet from my tree. I was able to regroup, knock another and put down a nice 10pt. Not saying you couldn't do this with a detached quiver, but this way the next arrow was right where it needed to be.

I hunt and practice with my quiver on - I do, however, hunt spot and stalk antelope and I feel a quiver is a must for that. If I shoot with in on once a year, I feel I might as well keep it on.

I'm not so sure the small amount of noise mine adds is a big of enough deal.