• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stand Height

Since this is brought up in other topics, I would like to hear what you put your stands at and reason for the heights.

Myself most of my stands are are between 12-15 feet, 1 is up to about 18ft, I feel that gives me the best shot angle for being a bow hunter and for the landscape I hunt, the one at 18 feet is in an area where the woods is rather clear and the 1st decent tree close to a shooting area and the cover in the tree required it, I would have rather been a little lower, but was unable.

I hear alot of hunters going to 20+ to even 30 feet up, to me thats makes a bow hunting angle too tough.

Just like to hear from others.

Highest I've ever been is 22ft. Personally, I don't like it above 20ft. Most of all my stands now are right around 18ft. I couldn't imagine being up a tree 30ft, seems like they may be on the aspect of getting picked out alot, but the shot angle would be insane.

we've got a stand along side a ridge. Best placement was the off downhill side. It parallels both the shelf below and trail on top of the ridge.

Below the shelf is a staging area that deer always get into and never spook.

It's high as a kite so we can see down on the ridge. That ridge top is mostly used by the cruiser bucks making a hasty dash in search of a doe.

I'm not saying how high it is but we use aevery bit of our 30' lifeline. Working thses stands into place we also use a lineman's saddle.

Most of mine are only around 12-15' also, but wherever the first good cover in the tree is, that's where I'll sit. I'm not too concerned about getting above a deers scent as my first priority in setting a stand is to be downwind of where I'm expecting the deer to be. I often change locations by just a few yards to accomplish that.

I like to get as high as possible up to 20ft.

That all depends on what type of cover I have in the tree so I do not get outlined by the deer.

Way less chance of getting scented and even with the deer walking through the woods looking up, at 20ft, one can get by with so much more.

One does have to practice at the height so one will not miss with a deer very close to the tree and a almost straight down shot.

I had to slowly go from 14ft to 20 by a few more feet at a time.

It also helps to have a sturdy stand the higher ones goes.

Are you guys talking about your platform height or your head/shoulders height? I switched to a Tree Saddle this year and with 3 sticks and my platform my head is at about 20 feet up. If I use my 4th stick I bet I'd be looking over the woods at about 24-25 feet.

Practicing with the 3 sticks this weekend I felt plenty high up there.

I'm pretty happy with being 15 feet up, it takes longer to find that perfect tree, but its a lot safer imo. I'm pretty spooky on hieghts after last seasons real world testing of my harness. I was about 25 feet up on my way to a 35 ft stand when the steps broke...one of the lower steps went through my vest and tore me up, but it still caught me. Got some swollen up ribs, a bottle of Painkillers from the doctor, and some sweet scars but none the worse for wear. SO I'll be at 15-20 feet from now on. Its easy in the Superior area to hunt that height because of the availability of cedar though. I also like the shot angle a little bit better, but with practice and proper decision making, thats not much of an issue at any height

I only hunt from portables, and rarely in the same tree more than once. I only go 12 - 15 ft up (platform height). Never really felt the need to go higher since I usually end up hunting in scraggly swamp trees and stuff.

I've have most of mine about 10 to 15 feet to my feet over the years. Great for shot angle, it makes me sit stiller and a bit safer. I always have my bow right in front of my face and I think that helps also. I don't have a problem at all with hieghts, I just preffer not going way up.