• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tricks on how to make a crestliner a dry boat besides trading

adamr

just bought a 06 192 tournament pro not impressed with the dryness wish the console was about 2 more feet forward. Is there any tricks with these to make them any dryer? thanks

Moving the console might just be a little more work then you would like just to stay dry so you might want to try to drive into or with the waves instead of hitting then at a angle. It will keep the spray from coming into the boat. I run a tiller and know all about getting water in the boat. When it is really rough I have to put on the rain suit but that is the price you have to pay when there is big chop. At least the fish bite better when there's chop grin

What motor and prop? Are you getting the bow out of water enough? If a high hp motor, and an alum prop, that is part of your answer. The correct SS prop will help. If you already have correct performing SS prop or a lower hp, then just time behind the wheel will probably help the most, to get used to it. Good luck.

If you move the console 2 feet forward you will also move the weight (you, the console, and the passenger) forward and will not help much, the bow will still plow instead of skipping on top.

If you have bigger waves...keep that motor in the water. Trim the motor down and go slower, you will stay dryer. Also like others meantioned, pay attention to how you hit the waves...try different angles and you will learn real quick how to hit them. Nothing wrong with the boat you purchased other than maybe a full windshield if you are fishing big water? Good Luck!!!

I re-read my post after the fact and was curious if the glass boat guys would chime in. That was not my intent, I wasn't trying to high jack his post to have a which boat is better war. Let's keep it about his question, how do you keep a crestliner or other comparable aluminum boats dry. Keep that motor in the freaking water is what I say (trimmed down all the way).

How is your boat propped? If you have a stainless prop with 5 or 4 blades you will likely have more mid-range power and control than you would with a 3 blade prop. This can help you get the boat running the best for the conditons, and keep it there.

Otherwise, try shifting some weight to the back of the boat, try hitting the waves at a different angle, and try going fast enough that you get past the spray and splashes before they can get in the boat.

But in all honesty, in windy conditions with choppy waves, you are going to get wet in that boat.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck.

What engine are you running on the boat?

I know I can't get the splash line back very far on my 02' 1850 Sportfish with the Yami F115 (pretty much mid way of front to back), and I am pretty sure this causes me to get wet sometimes in choppy water. I figure more HP would help me a lot in this aspect as I could get more boat out of the water and the thus the splash line further back.

I'm running a SS prop and plain and simple I am underpowered, although it functions just fine the majority of the time and is not a huge deal.

Like most have said already. You'll have to experiment with different tilt and trim levels. Also experiment with the speed and like a few others have mentioned... the angle at which you hit the waves. Every boat is different and so are the weather conditions. If its really rough and windy, I like to run about half throttle or just enough to barely be on plain and then adjust the trim so that the bow rides a little higher.

I am on my second Crestliner and I have fished out of my buddies Lund many times (both similar style boats) and I don't notice any difference as far as which boat is drier.

Nels

i wouldnt mess with moving the console like the other fella said he will move you weight around in the boat and could possibly rob performance.. just work on hitting the waves different and carry a rain suit

Gregg, I had a yar-craft, now have a crestliner. Yes it was a good boat, but come on, no boat is perfect. (it didn't last as long as many other boats have)On rough days I got just as wet in my Yar-craft. This whole post is about the proper HP rating, the tilt angle, speed, and the proper way of driving through those waves.

We all appreciate your brand loyalty, but I am sure that almost EVERYONE thinks they brand of boat they have is best (or they wouldn't have bought it in the first place!). Besides, many people have been through the Lund and Crestliner plants, and will attest to the same thing you say about yar-craft.

Do a search on crestiliner + hook. I'm no expert, but have come across a lot of discussion on this problem on other fishing sites. I've never heard of it before, but evidently it's been a problem in the past with a number of ways of resolving it. Good luck and tight lines.

Gregg - "all the prop and trim talk in reality is a small band-aid"

If you put the wrong prop on your boat and ever go faster than planing speed you will most likely get wet too smile Anybody who has ever tested props to find the best balance for their rig will atest to that, regardless of glass or tin.

Besides, he did ask how to make his tin boat dryer without trading, so the talk of glass is irrelevent really. But yes, I agree, comparing same sized boats (or even not same sized) glass will be smoother and dryer. But comparing your big rig to 17 and 18 foot boats is kinda like taking a gun to a knife fight, haha! All in fun, of course wink

edit - adding an example - try a Hi-5 21" and then a Laser any pitch. The Hi-5 will keep that bow up and still have power, and keep you planing better at lower rpms. The Laser will stink until you get to WOT, and that is just if you have alight boat. Try a laser on a bigger heavier boat (glass walleye boat) and you can't get back to launch fast enought to take it off. Try a Trophy with small hub and you wonder where your midrange went, the bow just falls, but try a Tempest and you have speed for calm days AND bow lift for keeping bow up out of the whitecaps. Now, if he has correct prop and still getting soaked, then it is just takes some getting used to driving the boat to keep dryer. Note I sad "dryer" not dry. Anyway, if the OP has not tested some different prop models and pitches, that is what I would do first. It DOES make a difference. And if you have an alum prop on right now for some reason, do the testing sooner, as alum prop would be part of your problem. Good lcuk!

lol

thats funny eyes

i dont know nothing bout props

i leave that to the manufactor

i've never seemed to have a problem with what comes on the motor

maybe i'm lucky...........not

all though i did win the nasacar picks this week...heeeee haaaaaaa

lol hours til i'm on winnie buckin those wavessssssssssssss

cant wait and smackin eyesssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no shows for me !!!!!! you might wanna film me.........lmao....lol