• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighted knocks now allowed in ND

Scoot

do they allow lighted sights?

I guess i have never been a fan of lighted knocks seems like something that puts extra back weight on an arrow

No, they still do not allow lighted sights.

The amount of "extra back weight" most lighted knocks add is somewhere around ten grains. IMO, that's pretty negligible and doesn't factor into the more substantive list of pros and cons (although I'm perfectly fine if you don't agree with that). Also, I've never seen an arrow that flew great without the lighted knocks, but didn't fly well with them. I'm not saying that's never happened, but I've never seen it.

Even though I may have been known to say Nay to increased technology in the field of archery, I'm all for lighted nocks.

At the point of the game where lighted nocks come into effect, the fair chase part has already been determined. After that arrow is loosed, I feel anything that helps a person recover an animal is plus.

I found a way to build my own last spring, did so and love the way the arrow looks in flight. took one deer with the lighted nok on the back of my arrow and one without. shoot the same as my regular arrows. (about 3/4-1 inch low at 40)

Scoot, your 2nd post says they do not allow, typo me thinks? I've never used them but might not be a bad idea. Sure would help in knowing where you hit. I wish they'd allow a battery to help see my pins. I hunt turkeys out of a blind in MN and can't see my pins without it. So I can't hunt out of a blind for deer in ND. As I age it's getting tempting to not climb as much.

This is from the ND regs.

13. Firearms and Archery Equipment

Deer Bow Season - A bow must be pulled, held and released by hand. Any release aid may be used providing it is hand operated, the shooter supports the draw weight of the bow, and the release is not attached to any part of the bow other than at the bowstring. A compound bow used for hunting deer must have at least 35 pounds of draw at 28 inches or less draw length. Recurve and long bows used for hunting deer must have at least 35 pounds of draw at 28 inches. Arrows must be at least 24 inches long, tipped with a metal broadhead, with at least two sharp cutting edges, and have a cutting diameter of at least 3/4 inch (i.e., not able to pass through a 3/4 inch ring). It is illegal to hunt big game with barbed arrows. Broadheads with mechanical or retractable blades not manufactured to stay open are legal. Telescopic sights, range finding devices, battery-powered or electronically lighted sights or other electronic devices attached to the bow, or the arrow, are not permitted (exception: lighted nocks on arrows are permitted). Handheld range finding devices are legal. Arrows capable of causing damage or injury in excess of that inflicted by the cutting edges of the broadhead are prohibited (e.g., explosive arrow points, arrows tipped with drugs or chemicals, and pneumatic or hydraulic shafts are illegal). No firearms, except handguns, may be in the hunter’s possession while hunting with a deer bow license. However, handguns may not be used in any manner to assist in the harvest of a deer with an archery license.

I thought the option to use them would be nice. The reason ND didn't allow them is because the P&Y club does not recognize animals that were shot while using them. They have lighted nocks grouped into electronics on a bow therefor making them ineligible for the record books.

I have been using lighted nocks for years where I can. I simply love them and its very easy to tune the arrow with the small amount of added arrow weight.

In those low light conditions, its great to see your arrow in flight and very easy to find the arrow on the ground after the shot.

I will always use them when I can.

Great item for the bow.

Scoot, your 2nd post says they do not allow, typo me thinks?

Nope. The first post is talking about lighted knocks, the second post is about lighted sights. Lighted knocks = legal; but lighted sights = illegal.

I think they are great and firmly believe that 1) they don't help in any way to shoot a deer, and 2) they do help in recovery (both deer and arrow).

Huntnfish is right about the P&Y info. One of the reasons the ND group didn't want to allow lighted knocks wasn't because many of them had a problem with the actual lighted knock, but because they were afraid of the slippery slope they'd end up if they allowed knocks to be lighted. They feared lighted sights, etc. would also be allowed- which they absolutely didn't want.

So P&Y won't reconize an animal shot with lighted knocks? You'd think by now that they'd want to separate lighted knocks out of the "electronic aid" bundle. Learn something new everyday!

On another note. Scoot, can I sign up for the Rec Center with you when you shoot at noon or do I have to go during public hours to buy a membership?

So P&Y won't reconize an animal shot with lighted knocks? You'd think by now that they'd want to separate lighted knocks out of the "electronic aid" bundle. Learn something new everyday!

On another note. Scoot, can I sign up for the Rec Center with you when you shoot at noon or do I have to go during public hours to buy a membership?

Yeah, I think they are not going to budge on this-- ever!

I'm about 95% sure we could get you taken care of over lunch. You won't receive your key today, but I think we could get the other stuff taken care of and I'd guess you could shoot today if you have your stuff. I'll be up there today at about 11:45 or so. I have a gray Tundra- come in the door by my truck and walk upstairs. I'm the good-lookin' guy in the black pants and gray shirt. grin

If today doesn't work, be sure to e-mail me (scootsfishing ++at++ yahoo) and I'll make a day work when you can come up there.

Just be carefull when Scoot is shooting as arrows could be flying everywhere. wink

I'd like to argue with you, but after last season I don't really have a leg to stand on. blush My hope is that at the end of this season I am 3/3 (a deer in MN and ND and a bear in MN). But... that's what I hoped for last year and it didn't quite turn out that way!

Scoot, as you noticed I didn't get this until AFTER lunch. Work gets in the way of FM forums ocassionally. If you are shooting next tuesday or wednesday I will stop by then.

If I remember correctly, you scored on a very nice buck.

True, I did. It did take a few arrows through the season to get to that point though! My brother nicknamed me "The Barber" becuase I kept shaving hair off of deer. blush But, I'm not complaining- I couldn't be happier with the end result!!!

Scoot, as you noticed I didn't get this until AFTER lunch. Work gets in the way of FM forums ocassionally. If you are shooting next tuesday or wednesday I will stop by then.

I should be up there- probably both days.

Quote:
At the point of the game where lighted nocks come into effect, the fair chase part has already been determined. After that arrow is loosed, I feel anything that helps a person recover an animal is plus.

Agreed. I've been using them for years and I only see them as a positive for the industry. Recovering your arrow and watching shot placement from the stand and video playback has been aided immensely.

i've often thought about trying them but havent comitted. I think I would have a tendency to try an look for the purrty light as I release an botching the shot. But I guesse i could overcome that with practice.Boar