• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alumacraft vs. Crestliner vs Lund

Chad Luebker

Hello -

I know this is like a Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate but I am wondering what people's opinion are for these brands of boats. I am more looking along the lines of Rebels/Explorers, Fishhawks, and Navigators. Although I am not looking to buy for a couple of years when my kids are older, I just wanted to get some opinions of what people like/dislike about there current boats. Do you like your Mercury Motors that you have to get on the Lund? That is my main reason I wouldn't buy a Lund is because I am not a huge Mercury fan. Anyways, thought it would be a fun thread to to hear people's likes and dislikes. Thanks.

Chad

All great boats. Personally, I have always just preferred Lunds. Also, you can get a Lund with just about any motor your dealer offers. Cost implications are slight and usually due to extra labor for mounting,etc. Bottom line is most dealers will work with you if you want another brand of motor, if they want your business. My Lund has Yamaha's and like you would not another brand on there.

I looked very hard at buying an Alumacraft a year ago when I was buying a new boat. I was hooked on the dominator or Navigator sport. However, I found too good of a deal to pass up on a Crestliner, and love it. The best thing I like is the all welded hull. I have exactly 1 rivet on my boat, which is one less thing to worry about (not that they leak all the time, but they certainly can), and it is much lighter than the others.

Don't shy away from Lund because of the supposed Merc only thing. I hung what I wanted on the transom for a rigging charge of $250. Not much when you are close to $20k on a rigged and ready boat.

I love my Rebel, and I wouldn't change too many things on it. It's absolutley perfect for moving around small and medium sized lakes. Once you get on water like the Leech (main lake) or Mille Lacs, it's not the optimal rig. Not to say you can't run them there, but it's not going to run like an 1800 Fisherman or a 'glass boat.

I cross shopped the Fishhawk and the Alumacraft Classic. The 1600 Fishawk was the aboslute biggest beam that would fit through a culvert that I often travel through. So no Navigator or Explorers were included in my search. Anyway I felt that all three had some high and low points. The Fishawk is really set up nice for casting. The Classic had more value and a couple of extras not on the Lund or Crestliner. In fact the Classic was really the benchmark for the Rebel design.

The Rebel I bought has a flip down aft seats that enable enough room for the kids to come along for a ride which is unique for a 16 footer. When they are not there I flip that seat down and I have a huge rear casting deck. I liked the layout a little better and thought it was just a tad more finished than the Classic (carpet on the inside walls, rigging wires covered, etc). All three were boats I could easily fish out of though.

They're all good boats. I have an 18 1/2 ft Alumacraft Navigator Sport and really like it. More room than the Chrestliner or Explorer which I was also looking at. The Alumacraft have the double thick hull which is nice too. Chrestliners are welded, which is nice, but as the Alumacraft people pointed out to me… Airplanes are riveted, not welded. My boat is a 2005 and gets a lot of use in big water and it hasn't lost a rivet.

I think they’re all good boats. I would get the one that seems to be laid out well for your needs.

Oh yeah... I forgot the original intent of the thread...

Buy an Alumacraft... grin

When I bought my boat. I was going between an Alumacraft Navigator 175 and a Lund Explorer 1700. For $500 less I got a bigger gas tank (40 gal vs. 32 gal), an instrument cluster (tach and spedo on the Navigator, nadda on the Explorer), wider beam, an extra seat (I had another one for a total of 4 in the Navigator), and a double plated hull.

I love my Navigator.

I had my heart set on a Lund, ended up with a Alumacraft. There are times when I don't mind paying the extra charge that a "name" brand can garner just from its "name", this wasn't one of those times.

They are all nice boats, go check 'em out, pick the brand that suits you.

You'll be happy with whatever boat you end up with, all three brands are solid.

I love my Navigator.

What he said. smile

They're all good. Since you're looking at the top-of-the-line boats, I think the most important thing is the layout that you like the best, or the one that's priced right for your budget. I wouldn't shy away from any of them.

Same questions I was asking myself. Looked at a Alumacraft and Lund. Did not look at Crestliner seriously since I was looking for a riveted alum boat. Yes alumacraft would be cheaper, but I actually don't mind the narrower beam of the Lund Explorer (vs. Aluma Navigator), as I measured my boat lift on the lake and it would be exactly the beam of the Navigator wherease, the Explorer was 3 inches smaller and would fit better! In this case, less was better. I went with the Lund Explorer because in the end I knew I would want the Lund. I've always envisioned a Lund, and if I had gotten an Alumacraft there would be a small corner of my brain "What would the Lund be like." So rather then live with that, I forked over the extra $4k for the Lund. I did find a relative good deal for a new Lund so that always helps!

No matter the opinions here, you need to find what works for you, what compromises you are willing to make, and of course how much you are willing to spend. They are all good boats.

Check out used boats and see what they look like like after a few years of use. The Crestliners I looked at had dents on the bottom of the hull from the trailer rollers.

I ended up going with a Lund Predator, paid about a $1,500 premium over a similar sized/equipped Alumacraft. Its a little narrower, 200#s lighter, had a layout I liked a lot better and the finish details area a little better. My dad has a Navigator and I've fished out of that a few times. Two things that Lund has the set it apart is the fold down rear seats (why doesn't everyone have this?) and the sport trak system.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the motors that are out there right now. They are all real good.

My Alumacrafts a 1984 and still has original floor and carpet, hulls in great shape,can't complain about the use I have gotten out of her. Lacks storage but commkon on this model, Trophy series but it is a walleye catching machine. Be sad to see her go in fact, been one of the best boats I have had but time to move to something that fits my current fishing style.

I've owned a Crestliner Superhawk, a Alumacraft Trophy, and I spent most of last year fishing in my bro-in-law's Lund Pro V IPS. They are all good boats. Like other posters have mentioned, sit in every boat you're thinking of buying and compare: Overall layouts, rod lockers, livewells, baitwells and see what you think. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Good luck.

Check out used boats and see what they look like like after a few years of use. The Crestliners I looked at had dents on the bottom of the hull from the trailer rollers.

What? I'm on my second Crestliner now and I've never had a dent on either of them from the rollers on the trailer or anything else for that matter. My first boat was a 16' tiller that I literally wore the carpet down where I sat because I did so much fishing. By the way, I have 3 brother-in-laws with Crestliners and I have never heard any of them complain about hulls denting or any problems for that matter.

Lifetime warranty on the hulls.

That said...all three are good manufacturers. It all boils down to the best deal and what style of fishing you prefer. Crestliners seem to have more room on the bow area for casting.

Nels