• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

speed

knoppers

just woundering about boat speed. my last boat, 1850 skeeter (1375 pounds) with a 175 would hit 60 on the GPS. my new boat wx1880 skeeter (1800 pounds) with a 200 HPDI will hit 56 GPS. I see reports of rangers hitting higher speeds with the same motors, and the rangers are much heavier. what are your speeds on what you navigate.

My Reata 1850 w/ yamaha f150, t8, ect. will do barely 50 with a light load under perfect conditions. This is with a 21 pitch yamaha prop. My other prop (rev 4) will only do mid 40's. Not the same boat/motor but something to compare to. I thought I heard Rangers were not speed deamons????

Matt

Knoppers, from your post, you added 425 lbs but only 25 HP to about the same size rig. I'd say that only losing 4 MPH is mighty good on that deal. Weight is the quickest way to kill off speed in a boat. Sounds like you have a nice rig there! Got any pictures?

Ps. My avatar boat would do 83 MPH with just me, but dropped to about 75 with a passenger.

Speed is said to be proportional to square root of power to weight ratio.

square root of 1375/175 is 2.803

square root of 1800/200 is 3.00

2.803/3 times 60 is 56.06

Looks like the formula isn't too far off. :-)

Had the Suzuki 60 HP 4 Stroke Tiller out Tuesday, this is a 2004, and I was able to pull 35 MPH GPS out of it, by myself, but I am currently carrying more gas than normal (almost 3/4 tank). This is after last falls winterizing and tune-up. This engine has never run better, thanks to the the shop for outstanding work as always, I am very happy. It is hooked up with an Alumacraft Dominator 16.5ft (see show us your summer rigs). Should this be about top end? I know if I empty the boat out and what not, but for a fish nut I need that stuff with me. ?

Without knowing your Prop Pitch or RPM's at WOT, it's tough to say for sure, however, I would say you are within the range I would expect for that rig.

By the way.. next time I'd post this as a new thread instead of piggy-backing in on a old post.

marine_man

As long as we are mentioning speed...I ahve a 2010 ALumacraft 165 CS with a 60 hp Merc 4 stroke. I also have 3 batteries and all the other gear.

Oddly enough, with three people in it it does between 29 and 30 MPH (pulls around 5800 rpm trimmed) and with two people in it it does about 30.5 mph (at about 6K trimmed).

Does that sound about right? 30 is plenty fast smile

With that information I'd say yes, that's as good as it will get. You would see some slight speed increases with a stainless prop, but in my opinion it probably wouldn't be worth the money for a purely performance increase.

I did not want to clutter the site with new same old questions.

Don't worry about that... it doesn't phase most people.

marine_man

After having it in the shop like I said for a winter and tune, I am happy with the performance of my Suzuki, looking forward to a great season on the water. Thanks for your response and info and hope to see you on the water......

Supercrew.

1995 Alumacraft Dominator

2004 Suzuki 60, 4 stroke Tiller

Too many rods and tackle, and lots of free time to fish...unfortunate for me....BUT

Life is good, what a country..........

17' lund with a 13x19 prop I get 38-39 mph loaded up 5150 rpm's

put the 21t on and I loose holeshot and gain in top end 41-42 mph and that is running at 5150 rpm's

So I would say your running pretty good

the rule of thumb is the bigger the second number the more top end the smaller the number the better holeshot...