• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Top Speeds

Esox_Magnum

Took the GPS along this morn.

Weather: 22 degrees, sunny bluebird skies.

Sled: 95 Polaris Indy 580 XLT Special 89 octane.

Riding conditins: Lake with 12-20" hard snow pack.

Spedo reading: 93-95, GPS top reading 89.47

Far off my best spedo readins of ticking 110, but that was under different conditions. Below 0 and 91 octane,same trail.

95 mph gps and still climbing hard across a lake on 09 TNT Etec. Truthfully, I don't care to go any faster, but maybe some day I will (doubt it though, I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to that type of speed on a sled).

wink here we go again!

Ooops I lied, you got me! I was off by a tenth smile

The only place I use my GPS is on my ATV, my snowmobile and hunting. I'm pretty sure I cant walk that fast, my ATV doesnt go that fast, so the only option left is the sled. wink

DSC03221.jpg

Must have a death wish.

Especially if you take a picture of your GPS when driving one handed at 106mph!!!!!! crazy They don't even want us driving our cars with a cell phone! laugh

His tach reads zero RPM so that number is the max speed recorded. That's a good way to check and fairly believable in my book.

Oh Yeah, and completely crazy to ride that fast on any uncontrolled surface.

I know I would rather go out that fast and not feel a thing, versus alot slower speeds where I lay there in severe pain and suffering just knowing its soon 2b my last breath, but you have your ways and I have mine! Best part of being an american!

Sorry, its the old racer left in me! wink I get a way bigger rush from accelleration than high speed, but with all this bench talk I figured I had to "know" what it could actually do. Normally when the speedo hits 75 or so I'm done, but there was this nice wide open stretch on a lake with nobody on it so I just let her go and aired it out. Now that I did it, its done and I have no need to revisit that speed, first and last time I'll see it. Too many things go through my head about what could happen.....but I had already ridden the lake the other direction so I was confident there was a good long smooth surface.

His tach reads zero RPM so that number is the max speed recorded. That's a good way to check and fairly believable in my book.

Oh Yeah, and completely crazy to ride that fast on any uncontrolled surface.

Good point hydro I missed that! But then maybe that was the speed he was flying in that small plane in over the weekend who knows! laugh

It's interesting that I came across this Topic. Since we finished up working on the lake yesterday today was a day to rest and relax so I took a drive on on our private property to where a logger has his road crossing our land to a cutting site and see if I could buy some firewood from him. After talking to him I drove out letting my dog run alongside my pickup. As I approached the blind intersection where the groomed snowmobile trail crosses the road luckily I had my truck window open and heard the insane screaming of snowmobiles coming very, very fast. I just had time to bail out of my truck and grab my dog before 2 snowmobiliers tore past side by side racing down the groomed trail at 70-80+? mph. Right past their yield sign and not even looking or checking for any traffic. If my window had not been open so I heard them coming my dog and I would have been in that intersection. My dog could have died, the snowmibiliers could have died and even in my pickup I could have died. I could have been killed on my property because some snowmobiliers could not control themselves.

Yep there are some crazy ones out there. I have no problem opening it up on a lake where no one is around, but on a trail is another story. Several years ago I was on the state trail out by Howard Lake when 2 guys came flying around a corner and one of them fishtailed into my trailing arm and belly pan. Messed up the pan pretty bad. I even heard them coming and pulled off to the side and still got hit. Some guys just are just plain morons.

I have to comment on the post above about recklessly high speeds on the trails. While I still own a sled and ride occasionally, these days I am very careful where and when I ride. I have been narrowly missed many times by the “boy racers” rocketing down the trail, emulating their favorite snow cross rider, driving far beyond their abilities and the trail conditions. I have been hit three times. I have also known two people who lost their lives on trails from this type of behavior. Add in the “let’s stop for another beer” mentality and the situation just gets worse. This behavior does not put just the offending rider at risk; it endangers everyone on the trail.

The sport of snowmobiling is a lot of fun but those participating have to be aware of what they are doing and have respect for others that they will inevitable meet on the trails.

I know my xc500 can hit 95 on the speedo with a fat guy on it smile on lake with a known and flat run, away from other people or even homes on shore.

I have found, in my short time with sleds, that mornings about 9 am until about noon, you rarely find the go-fast boys out there on the trails, prolly cause they were up late, ha! I love mornings on the trail.