• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So much for the floor mat.........

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now what to do. I am supposed to pick up my 2010 Tundra tomorrow night. I haven't heard anything from the dealer yet and I don't know if I should get the truck now. I definately will stay with a Tundra cause I can't argue with 200,000+ miles on 3 straight trucks but I may have to go used to a 2005 or 2006. I guess I'll wait and see what the dealer has to say.

Some engineer at Toyota needs to head over to Lexus and see what they are doing that is different. I've heard that radio interferance is possibly an issue, and I don't mean that the stereo is too loud.

I think Lexus are suped up/contented up Toyotas. So it shouldn't matter if they are sharing the same parts.

ES350 = Camry

ES430 = Avalon

IS250 = Corrola

etc........

I want to see a demonstration of what the problem actually is.

I see that they are claiming it's the mechanism binding up but then I hear that its a electrical problem. What is it?

Maybe I'm missing something but I still don't understand how throttle by wire is better? It seems to me that you got a extra electrical part controlling the throttle body's movement thus costing much more. If a TPS on the throttle body works to give the computer throttle % for adjusting fuel/timing delivery why do we need to have it on the pedal and give the computer the responsibility to actually open the throttle? To me, it seems like a recipe for problems.

Its not just Toyota that does this, all the manufacturers are going to throttle by wire. If indeed its a electrical problem I think Toyota drew the short straw in getting unlucky with having a issue.

Any way the problem is happening I do hope they get a fix out for it quick.

They do that so they can introduce wonderful features like accident prevention wich uses a host of sensors to figure out when the vehicle needs to stop. If the driver does not show signs of stopping the vehicle will back out of the gas and apply the brakes automatically.

In the case of the Toyotas the vehicle stability control would not be possible without it. When the vehicle loses control the computer will back out of the throttle and start applying the appropriate brake to get the vehicle straight again.

Are these possible with a mechanical linkage between the pedal and the throttle? I'm sure they could figure out something but drive by wire makes sense when you see the whole picture.

Just like when they first starting introducing disk brakes. Everyone thought it was going to be the end of the world. Turns out they worked pretty well, easier to work on, and much more reliable than drum brakes.

We could also say why have fuel injection, ABS, airbags, TPMS, Automatic climate control, Automatic transmissions, automatic four wheel drive, front wheel drive, satellite radio, GPS, daytime running lamps, automatic exterior lighting, heated seats, automatic doors, aluminum wheels....... grin and the list goes on.

Thanks for the free lesson grin. I forgot about VSC and I always thought they used ignition to control that stuff. Makes sense to use the throttle in that case. I guess the only time I ever learned about vehicle control was a long time ago and it was GM stuff that was dated.

Without innovation we would be walking or riding horses...

I am not against it if it makes sense. I guess I like stuff that works well, is simple, and has a failsafe.

Without fuel injection I would be in a world of hurt. Carburetors are old and scary and don't work well with turbos so my life would be a notch down without computer controlled stuff.

I just read that they halted production until they can get a fix set. Thats a pretty big move and they did say that the NHTSA is pleased with how Toyota is handling the situation.

They also said that manufacturer for the pedal assembly was a company called CTS based out of Indiana. So huh. IDK if you blame Toyota or the people who actually made the pedal. It depends on what the problem actually is. Sounds like conditions are right for a blamestorm to me. Its beginning to look a little like the Firestone flip situation to me.

I just read that they halted production until they can get a fix set. Thats a pretty big move and they did say that the NHTSA is pleased with how Toyota is handling the situation.

They also said that manufacturer for the pedal assembly was a company called CTS based out of Indiana. So huh. IDK if you blame Toyota or the people who actually made the pedal. It depends on what the problem actually is. Sounds like conditions are right for a blamestorm to me. Its beginning to look a little like the Firestone flip situation to me.

No that's not correct, read my earlier post. Toyota was cotinuing to sell the cars affected and planned on doing so. NHTSA told them they had to stop selling the vehicles affected. They also aren't happy Toyota put out a video a month or so ago and said everything was fine and related to the floormats, even though there was evidence to the contrary.

BTW, I love turbos! My wife's car has them!! Also my buddy had the turbo four eclipse and loved it for a week, until somebody ran a red light and T-Boned him! Yikes!!

do you know walton? he also drive a talon, III gen, I'm pretty sure right around 95, works at MAP.

Ever hear of Team Four Door? We did a couple of car shows at MAP before we disbanded. I drive a red contour svt, use to look nice but in the last year or two it's gone downhill quite a bit.

*Note to self, don't drive a car that rides 2" off the ground out on the lake, ice heaves like to rip side skirts off.

"I'm constantly on the New Jersey Turnpike back and forth, and I'm scared to death," said New Jersey mom Debbie Reilly, who said she needs her 2009 Camry, but feels she can no longer depend on it.

"You can't just go to where you bought it and say, 'Am I affected? They don't even have a solution,'" said Bayside resident Debbie Cohen.

Walton doesn't ring a bell. I used to work at oreillys over off of 55 and dealt mostly with guys in the shop. They are a pretty decent crew. I am hoping that I can get in the door over there this spring. I have heard of team 4 door, it has been a while though. I hear ya about getting your car banged up on he lake. They made fun of me for wanting to get adjustable coilovers and crank them up all the way...that is why. Its too much fun on the lake with awd grin .

Idk why people are that scared about the accelerator deal that they are afraid to drive. Your chances are better to get hit by lightning than actually experience that problem. I would be more afraid of getting hit by another driver for sure. Granted it shouldn't be something we should have to deal with. I saw plenty of people driving exploders even after they figured out they fliped on a dime.

I agree deadeye, there's just too many bad drivers that don't know a thing about cars other than what the gas and brake pedal is. Granted, it's a real problem and needs to be solved, I would be pretty angry if I spent $40k+ on a new Tundra and there were problems with it already, but if it sticks open just turn the ignition off and drift to a stop, problem solved. Then take it to a dealer and have them fix it.

I would be pretty angry if I spent $40k+ on a new Tundra and there were problems with it already,

With all of Ford's recalls there would be alot of angry people! Won't stop people from buying ford's though, they seem to thing that fords are good vehicles?

I always used to laugh at recalls, like there was a one in a million chance it would affect me. Then the vac hose for the brake booster fell off my Ford truck and it took all I had to stop it. Luckily I was going slow and not in traffic. I knew it had an open recall just never got around to it. I wouldn't worry about stopping a Toyota if the throttle stuck, but I wouldn't like it...

Just picked up my new Tundra last night. I did not have the throttle stick. According to the dealer this problem has not happened in MN. I've read that it can happen after the part begins to wear. I was told that a "fix" is being manufactured and should be at the dealers mid. Feb.

Granted, it's a real problem and needs to be solved, I would be pretty angry if I spent $40k+ on a new Tundra and there were problems with it already, but if it sticks open just turn the ignition off and drift to a stop, problem solved. Then take it to a dealer and have them fix it.

You are supposed to put both feet on the brake and pop it in neutral until you drift to a stop, then turn the engine off.

Not sure on that vehicle, but if you turn the ignition off, won't your steering lock up?

Just picked up my new Tundra last night. I did not have the throttle stick. According to the dealer this problem has not happened in MN. I've read that it can happen after the part begins to wear. I was told that a "fix" is being manufactured and should be at the dealers mid. Feb.

I thought I read that Toyota was giving free helmets with every vehicle sold too. whistle

Just picked up my new Tundra last night.

Congrats on a nice truck!

Have you cracked the 5.7 open yet?

The ignition switch is set up in this order. Off, Accessory, Run, Start. If you turn it back one position from run it will be in accessory and everything will be fine.

At wide open throttle there is little to no vacuum to the brake booster the only difference between keeping the engine running or not would be the power steering assist. They recommend a firm steady application of the brake pedal. They do not recommend pumping the pedal as you will deplete the vacuum reserve in the booster and will no longer have power assist.

According to the dealer this problem has not happened in MN. I've read that it can happen after the part begins to wear. I was told that a "fix" is being manufactured and should be at the dealers mid. Feb.

This happened recently in WI, so I don't think we are exempt in our area from it.

The fix was first sent to their factories and is now beginning to be shipped to dealers. Not clear on when it will reach all of the dealers, of if they will be instructed to install on new cars sitting on the lot first or existing customer owned vehicles.

5.7 - on a good day 18-just under 19 with the cruise 65 and under, towing/hauling/city 13-15

I have not opened her up yet. I want to do a slow breakin since that got me 200k+ on the other two toyota trucks I bought new. I can feel the power though.

Thats funny, I made it about 6 blocks to the on ramp for 694 from maplewood Toyota and couldn't resist! grin