• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great time at the HSO Sax-Zim Bog GTG

We had a great time today in the Sax-Zim Bog. We photographed a bunch of birds (and each other!). And we all got to put faces to names of people we hadn't met before. gringrin

I'm busy for awhile tonight, but hope to post photos yet this evening, and no doubt others will use this thread to post their photos from the day.

Sure was fun! Thanks everyone for making it a cool day. smilesmile

It was a great day even if the temp did start out at around -20. It was nice to meet Jackie (dockofthebay) and her hubby and Jeremy(Spearingmachine) and Ken(Finnbay). It was the first day that I have seen the Boreal Chickadee and we actually were able to see that there was 3 of them but could never get even 2 of them in a frame but it was nice to have them back. Jay and I both commented on how the birds seem to be eating a lot of snow - Must be the road salt grin

LB7D0328copy.jpg

LB7D0414copy.jpg

LB7D0394copy.jpg

LB7D0476copy.jpg

LB7D0504copy.jpg

LB7D0580copy.jpg

LB7D0536copy.jpg

I like this one cause I think it was the first time I have ever caught one with there mouth open and no food hanging out grin

LB7D0496copy.jpg

Awesome shots guys!! I just want to thank all of you, Steve, Ken, Jim, Jason, Jackie for making if such a great and fun filled day yesterday out in the bog. As a student working on a a degree in wildlife it was neat to see a bunch of birds that I have never seen before and many within a couple of feet. I was great to be able to shot with others who have similar interests. Got home pretty late last night and I am just ready to head out the door to the fish house for the afternoon with my little brother. I haven't even had time to go through my photos yet, but hopefully later this evening. Thanks again!!

And a heartfelt "Thanks" from us as well. It was a great day, even if it was -22 when we started! Like Jeremy, I saw and photographed some birds I'd never seen before. Thanks to the bog vets for sharing this place with us & giving the tour - Jason, for leading the way & flushing those boreal chickadees out of the woods grin ; Jim, for keeping feeders filled and knowing what kind of bird hangs where & the snowmobile advise as well smile ; Steve, for your suggestions and advise all day, especially for your help on that last owl shot; Ken, for blazing a trail around the woods to see the Hawk Owl, oh yeah, and for that swell portrait! crazy and Jeremy - sorry I scared those crossbills away before you got close enough to shoot frown but I'm so glad you were there with us anyway.

We didn't get home until late last night either, I haven't had time to look at or process anything yet - hopefully later this afternoon. Altho, when I look at the amazing image you guys have already posted, I have a feeling it'll be tough for me to find much to compare. Thanks for sharing your images as well as your day!

It was a great day - I'd recommend the bog to photographers and birder alike, and the FM/HSO GTG to everyone! Thanks again for sharing your images as well as your day.

Jackie, we'll look forward to seeing what you got. No need to worry about comparisons. We're all just posting fun stuff from the day, and it's all good.

Especially the priceless expression I caught on your face in this first image as you and Jeremy walked back to the vehicles in below-zero chill. What, you think that was actually cold? gringringrin

I'll be posting in a couple-three batches.

expression.jpg

jim.jpg

ken-1.jpg

NHO.jpg

best-boreal.jpg

best-single.jpg

dive.jpg

downy-2.jpg

Gosh guys, they all are absolutely wonderful! Finally was able to dump the card and I was quite impressed with the amount of quality images I came away with. I think my technique and getting better equipment is starting to make a difference (because of many of you). Here are a handful of my favorites from the day out in the bog. Enjoy!

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

IMG_7858.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7927.jpg

IMG_7960.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

Fantastic collection of images folks. Excellent synergy. They should really make that place a state park of some kind. It was exciting to wait for the images from this gathering to be posted, and as exciting to view them. Thanks for sharing with the sideliners. smile

Fantastic collection of images folks. Excellent synergy. They should really make that place a state park of some kind. It was exciting to wait for the images from this gathering to be posted, and as exciting to view them. Thanks for sharing with the sideliners. smile

Shawn, we heard from Sparky that you were expected along McDavitt Road on Saturday, but we found neither a GGO nor an SZ sighting. winkwink

Here are a few of mine - as we've all said it was a great day. I'm learning more every time I go out, and Saturday was a better than average learning day for me! Thanks again everyone!!

The crew -

IMG_0864.jpg

The usual suspects: Goldfinch

goldfinch.jpg

Chickadees

2chickadees.jpg

chickadee-1.jpg

Gray Jays - darn cute little guys!

grayjay.jpg

The new-to-me kids:

White Winged Crossbills

crossbills.jpg

Pine Grosbeaks

pinegrosbeak_f.jpg

pinegrosbeak_m.jpg

The famous Boreal Chickadee

boreal.jpg

Northern Hawk Owl

owl.jpg

SZ was in full stealth mode this weekend. Unfortunately that was at my place of employment frown Still, living vicariously through this get together has been most enjoyable smile

Although I'm disappointed that no one has posted any images of an ermin peeking out of someones car window smile

Great shots Dock of the Bay!