• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What a mistake!

hamms-scooter

The only hose that needs a regulator is the one with the quick connect fitting. other wise the other hoses that screw into the one pound ports on the heater are regulated by the heater.

The quick connect fitting is the only fitting NOT regulated by the heater.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using a big buddy heater since the first year they came out, and I couldn't be happier with mine. It puts out as much heat as my heater/cooker ever did (actually more according to the specs), and I don't get the headaches and dizzy feelings anymore. I'd agree that the heater/cooker is probably more reliable, but then I've never had an issue with my buddy heater either. I think if I were the original poster I'd get the heater checked out. If it's not putting out any heat there's probably something wrong with the heater (or maybe the hose or tank).

Quote:
The only hose that needs a regulator is the one with the quick connect fitting. other wise the other hoses that screw into the one pound ports on the heater are regulated by the heater.

The quick connect fitting is the only fitting NOT regulated by the heater.

airjer, Are you talking about the Big Buddy?

I think I was responding to elkrivers post

I have the big buddy heater. I use a 20 # lp tank the key is to use a 12' hose with a regulator, forget the filter you will not need one also it is very important when you hook up the hose to the tank to purge the air out of the line before lighting. I believe most of the problems with the newer buddy heaters are either operator error or the wrong hoses are used. Just remember if you are using a bigger tank then the 1 #ers use a regulator.

The big buddy one pound ports and the buddy one pound ports are internally regulated by the heater. Only the Big Buddy has a quick connect fitting that is not regulated internally by the heater.

Good debate!

I'll agree the Mr Cooker/heater/sunflower does put out the most heat and is reliable as it gets plus some set-ups may require it...

For the most part the Buddys heat well enough and the reason WE ALL use a Buddy including myself about 97 percent of time is...

One.. No more headache with the Buddy. The Mr' heater/cookers detroy your oxengen levels along with giving you a head=ache and the smell is disgusting.

Two... I haven't melted expensive clothing or Fish shelters ever with a Buddy where as the Mr. Heater has and will continue to destroy along with oxygen ...expensive chit for enterinty.

Three.. the freaking noise out of the Mr. Cooker drives a guy nuts the buddy is totally silent which is a nice perk IMO. Also the footprint is much smaller being you can set the buddy up against any wall unlike the Mr Melter...LOL

Four.. The Buddy is completely safe where as the Mr Heaters are an overall accident waiting to happen "CO,Fire"

EDIT: I don't fish with Sunflowers mounted on a tank in an enclosed area...that just seems silly to me.

So a guy really needs all 3, The regular, the Big and a Mr. Heater Cooker depending on...

This post is down right terrifying to me. I only have a lil buddy heater and now I'm no longer looking forward to the dog days of winter in my portable.

The sheer thought of that kind of cold reminds me of the one time a friend and I were fishing in a small honey outside of Ely, MN and the huge, dang near jet engine, heater my buddy brought ran out of propane. The thing is the heater worked a little too well and the top layer of snow had melted. But, because the fishing was so good we decided to tough it out a lot similar to Bob T. Long story short... My boots eventually frooze to the ice. Yeah, Not cool but effin freezing!

As for this Mr. Heater/ Cooker! I NEED ONE ASAP! I ONLY HAVE ONE PAIR OF DECENT BOOTS LEFT!

Do any of you feel differently about your heater now since this thread. I am wondering about the big buddy heaters, did you switch back to the htr/ckr yet? Or have you had good luck so far? Heard some guys going through 3 different ones and said forget it. Out came the trusty sunflower!

Bought a buddy heater, 1 lb tanks are a pain. Heater works great. Clam yukon -16 below holes would skim over definetly not t shirt weather but fishable. Bought the 12 ft. hose and filter hooked it up fired up almost instantly. 12ft. hose is perfect length. Put the heater on a board between holes reflects alot of the heat back up.

I got a BB this year and I have been very happy with it. The first time out on Red Lake it was -36 and the hose leaked a little but that was the only problem all year. No new holes in the fish house and cools downfaster than a heater/cooker.

I got the little Tough buddy heater and love it. No headaches or burning eyes. Dont worry about anything burning huge plus. Used it in A CC insulated and a Thermal X. The clam could use the bigger one one cold days, but thats my bros house. I think the buddys are good i was very sceptable but it works good. I'm happy with it.

I picked up a big buddy this year and have loved it. In my r2Tec 7080, I run the heater on high for the first few minutes that I am in there, until I feel it on my face, then I turn it down to low and let it run there for the remainder of the day/evening. It has worked great! I have yet to get the hose yet. I will see if I can get it on sale at the end of the season here.

On my last trip to LOW the temp on the truck said -18 on the way on the lake. We also had wind in the 20mph hour range. On our trip I brought my Heater/cooker for a back-up with a Y adapter so we could run 2 heaters off of one 20 lb tank. My friends big buddy wouldn't light until it got warmed up. My guess is the pilot opening got froze up. Thank goodness we had a back-up Mr heater or we wouldn't have been fishing, and I wouldn't have got to catch a 31 inch walleye that day. Once the house got warmed up in the afternoon, we would shut off the the Mr heater/cooker and the only noise was the hum of the vexilars with the big buddy running. The other thing that I didn't like about the big buddy was every time we moved it to get out the door etc, it would go out. We were fishing out of our my buddies new lodge house, they really freeze up on the inside compared to the older canvas otter houses.

Photo_010910_001.jpg

The pics were not that great. They taken with my palm phone, because my pentax digial camera wouldn't work in the cold!

Photo_010910_004.jpg

I've never had a problem with the big buddy in low temps... I'm surprised no one has mentioned fans on here (That I've seen). That many BTU's should be *plenty*. I'd invest in a fan to move the air.

I like that it won't burn my gear and canvas. I keep a grill in the car for cooking - has more space anyway, no balancing act.

so what do you do to get it to stop back burning in the intake tube

Clean the tube, and check to see if the tube is loose. If the mix-tube is loose and maladjusted the air/gas mix will be off and it will cause poor performance and complications.

Your jet feeding into the tube may be buggered up too? A fine tip touch cleaner wire should get that out if it is.

Check the tube to see if it is loose or badly adjusted, clean the gas orifice jet, blow it off with an air hose, and see if it snaps out of it. I also like to take a wire brush to the catalyst wire mesh screen once in a while too when I clean the system. It appears to work better and produce a better burn off the catalyst screen if you do.

I've never had a problem with the big buddy in low temps... I'm surprised no one has mentioned fans on here (That I've seen). That many BTU's should be *plenty*. I'd invest in a fan to move the air.

I like that it won't burn my gear and canvas. I keep a grill in the car for cooking - has more space anyway, no balancing act.

A small inexpensive auto clamp on 12 V fan will help a lot. As will getting a light rubber mat under those heaters so you do not generate any more humidity than you must.

A thin rubber mat will keep that slough effect from starting and subsequent rain forest environment generated by all that heat, moisture, and condensation.

You need to vent humidity, allow cross ventilation to eliminate excess humidity. Less humidity and you will be dryer, and warmer.

A 12 V fan and a light rubber truck mat, will help your cause greatly.

I know that feeling of trying to light my BB and having nothing but, it was due to my own negligence it's like anything else you can't get the pilot wet and let it freeze then expect it to light... I think mine did it because I started it on shore before hitting the lake so it warmed up then dragging behind with the snow flying at a cold temp let moisture hit it and the cold froze it but if you put your finger on the pilot tube for about 15 to 30 seconds it is enough to melt the ice (usually) and it will fire right up... also I have learned to like the fact that my BB can sit behind me right in the sled which doesn't melt the snow in front and keeps you nice and toasty...

I have a little buddy heater have had only one issue and that was trying to get it lit when it was -40 outside, evetually got it lit and kept me very warm, this it in a little calm jr though. I could see if it was a larger house one might have some issues.