• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What a mistake!

hamms-scooter

I always use the small buddy heater when temps are above 10, and the sunflower below that. It works out okay, as usually if it is cold enough to need the big heater, i am driving or sledding to the spot so the extra tank weight is okay.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the sunflower on a 11-pound pancake tank and the footprint can't be that much larger than just the heater on a stand. And, I'd like to think my logic tells me a bad connection at a hose/heater junction is just as dangerous as a heater connected to a tank.

I have the big buddy heater. I use a 20 # lp tank the key is to use a 12' hose with a regulator, forget the filter you will not need one also it is very important when you hook up the hose to the tank to purge the air out of the line before lighting. I believe most of the problems with the newer buddy heaters are either operator error or the wrong hoses are used. Just remember if you are using a bigger tank then the 1 #ers use a regulator.

I had both my sunflower and a big buddy running in the garage yesterday, the sunflower easily heated better than the big buddy. Granted I have mine modified to push over 20,000 BTU but even in the shack my heater/cooker gets the nod. I have infinate settings on mine allowing for a more consistant heating temp. The 1 time I used the BB in my shack I had to keep turning it up then turning it down to try and keep an even temp.

Can you tell us about this mod any pics?

Truth about BTU as stated by Bob T

Here is a nother fact.

Just left the lake -24 near LeCenter MN

I fished in my new Frabill R-200 with 3M Insulation. I have had it out before this year but never below 0. Guess what it was worth every penny. I will gaurentee you the all non-insulated portables were frosted up and or froze out after sunset today. That Frabill held heat so well it was un real. I had my big buddy on LOW!!!!The sled was frosted up but nothing else.

Anyone else out with a thermal today that can vouch for my story???

Originally Posted By: Esox_Magnum
I had both my sunflower and a big buddy running in the garage yesterday, the sunflower easily heated better than the big buddy. Granted I have mine modified to push over 20,000 BTU but even in the shack my heater/cooker gets the nod. I have infinate settings on mine allowing for a more consistant heating temp. The 1 time I used the BB in my shack I had to keep turning it up then turning it down to try and keep an even temp.

Can you tell us about this mod any pics?

I took the 3 position valve off threw it away and took a Turbo torch and used the valve off it. Dad was a plumber so had the parts laying around. been this way 22 years now with no issues other than a set of screens and a thermocouple.

The original Buddy Heater is the biggest bunch of marketing hoooey to ever hit the ice in the heater world.

The Big Buddy is a bit different creature (and much better than a Buddy Heater), but a regular sunflower head or heater/cooker is still the best bet for heat IMO.

I've been doing this for over 15 years and have learned many of these lessons years ago. If its below 0, you better have some kind of sunflower heater.

I Couldn't disagree with you more hanson.

I have a CanvasCraft insulated shelter (Magnum size), and I never bring out the sunflower heater/cooker with when I am fishing in that shelter. For that matter, I don't bring it with me when I am fishing in my Clam Scout either.

20 degrees to -20 degrees, the buddy heater (not the big buddy, just the buddy) is the unit that goes along with me. The only time the sunflower sees the ice is if I am taking guests out with me to fish in another shelter.

I do the occasional overnighter in my shelter, and I sleep better knowing that there is a low oxygen shut off sensor on the buddy style heaters.

Do I trust it 100%?

Nope.

Has the shut-off system worked for me?

Yup.

I don't trust nuthin' or nobody 100%. Still, with the vents cracked open a bit in the shelter, I feel more comfortable snoozin' with my buddy heater than I would with any sunflower type heater.

Like I said, the only time the sunflower hits the ice is if I have to heat another shelter (I only have the one buddy heater), or if I want to do some cookin' on the ice; even then, I prefer the hibachi grill (my apologies to Hank Hill) over the sunflower heater/cooker.

It also seems to me that the flame protection on the buddy heater is superior to that on the sunfower heater. I worry less about burning something when I am using the buddy.

Noise plays a factor as well. My buddy heater runs quieter than my sunflower heater. I like that. I'm looking for peace and quiet when I hit the ice, and the last thing I need is more white noise in the shelter.

I will say this about the sunflower type heaters: they are a better choice if you are fishing outside (hand warmer, etc.), or if you have a drafty shelter. As most who have used them know by now, the buddy heater(don't know about the Big Buddy since I don't own one)does not work well with any significant draft flowing to and fro. Tuck in your shelter and you won't have a worry.

Let's face it, BTU's is BTU's, and after that it's all about functionality and features. Yes, the sunflower heater puts out up to 14,000 btu, while the buddy maxes out at 9,000. Sunflower wins for btu output, but since I don't need that many btu's to stay comfortable, and since the buddy heater affords the useful (to me)features that the sunflower heater does not. Well, I'll take the Buddy.

I have the big buddy heater. I use a 20 # lp tank the key is to use a 12' hose with a regulator, forget the filter you will not need one also it is very important when you hook up the hose to the tank to purge the air out of the line before lighting. I believe most of the problems with the newer buddy heaters are either operator error or the wrong hoses are used. Just remember if you are using a bigger tank then the 1 #ers use a regulator.

From what I understand, the big buddy has regulators built in. Not sure if you need the filter, but I think its like $10.

Most of our htr/ckr put out 14,000 btu probably all but esox_magnum...20,000 , need a good pic of that esox! : )

I would just like the infinate setting feature nice!

I had never heard of exchanging valves in a sunflower before, very interesting. Here is another idea for a valve that I found on another forum:

One thing I did on my Cooker/heater was to change the valve. I bought one of those conversion valves kits they use for making your camp stove Propane instead of liquid fuel.

This allows you to dial up or down with more control vs the three positions the heater valve comes with. I do think that it produces more heat with this valve. Nice when cooking to have the lower flame.

My fishing buddy modded his Mr. Heater Cooker with a new valve so it put out more heat, to the point where the outside shield would start to glow red. I have no idea how many btu's that thing was putting out, but it was a lot. He was very proud of his "hotrod" heater and it worked OK for one season, never mind the headaches. sick

Then one cold night it grenaded on him and turned into a flame thrower, instantly starting his fish trap on fire. Luckily, he got out with just superficial burns and singed eyebrows.

R.I.P. Fish Trap II...

Here's something for you to try. Set your portable up with your Mr. Heater/Mr. Heater Cooker like you were out ice fishing and fire up that heater. Then put in a carbon monoxide detector and close it up. I used an AC plug-in type like you would see in a house. Mine has a nice display with the CO reading in parts per million (ppm), a really loud alarm, and will even flash the word "EVACUATE" just in case you can't hear it.

You might want to let any close by neighbors know what you are up to beforehand. laugh

Now run the same test with a Buddy heater or a Big Buddy heater.

Then Google carbon monoxide poisoning, start reading and decide for yourself what you are willing to breathe in or not.

Some of you might come to a very different conclusion about what kind of heater to use in a covered shelter. wink

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Originally Posted By: airjer
I'll be using the big buddy tomorrow in sub zero temps. I will be fishing in a t-shirt within ten minutes. grin

You will freeze in my shack then, BB in these temps wont cut it in my castle.

My feet got cold but no surprise there. It was to warm with the Big buddy on high and not quite warm enough with it on medium until the sun came up than low was just fine. Of course I did take the Otter Cottage today instead of the Lodge.

Jim C - How about you just give us the bottom line? Am I correct in assuming that your results show that the Buddy shuts down a little on the late side? How much too late - dizzy, passed out, or DOA?

I have 3 sunflower heaters, a Buddy, and a Big Buddy heater.

I will not use the sunflower style heaters in my Otter houses again, too much carbon monoxide for me. If you choose to use them, make sure you have a LOT of ventilation.

Here's a few C&P snips from the Mr. Heater/Cooker owner's manual:

WARNING Asphyxiation Hazard

• Do not use this heater for heating human living

quarters.

• Do not use in unventilated areas.

<and>

3. VENTILATION

A. WARNING: This heater is an unvented appliance and MUST be

used ONLY in a well ventilated area. NEVER attempt to operate

the heater inside any vehicle, camper or enclosure.

B. Any combustion process requires and consumes oxygen, and

will produce carbon monoxide. THIS HEATER MUST BE USED

WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. Do not use in a tightly

enclosed area. Two openings directly to the outdoors MUST be

provided. One HIGH and one LOW. Preferably on opposite sides

of the enclosure. EACH OPENING SHALL HAVE A MIMIMUM

FREE AREA OF 24 SQUARE INCHES (6” X 4”). Structures of tight

construction or tents using fire retardant materials will require

larger openings.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some C&P snips from the Big Buddy heater owner's manual:

GENERAL INFORMATION:

• This heater is safe for indoor use in small recreational

enclosures, having means for providing combustion air

and ventilation, such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing

huts, trailers, tent trailers, tents, truck caps and vans. It

may be used in commercial enclosures, having means for

providing combustion air and ventilation, such as

construction trailers or temporary work enclosures.

<and>

This heater can only be used in a recreational or

commercial enclosure with a window or roof vent. It

may also be used outdoors.

• This heater requires a vent area of 18 square inches

(example 4 1/4” x 4 1/4” opening) minimum for adequate

ventilation during operation.

Again, the bottom line is only Buddy style heaters inside for me. Your mileage might vary grin

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

If any of you guys that don't like your Buddy Heaters want to get rid of them I'll gladly take them. I've fished in up to -20 in a t-shirt running my buddy in my portable, absolutely love it.

esox , is that just an on off valve that goes into your tank or a regulator of some kind? Looks like you have used it for 22 yrs! what happened to the wire face of that thing? You must not use it to heat up food very often... just cool seeing old gear that has stood the test of time! thanx for the pic Esox

If any of you guys that don't like your Buddy Heaters want to get rid of them I'll gladly take them. I've fished in up to -20 in a t-shirt running my buddy in my portable, absolutely love it.

You will need them all to equal the heat of one htr/ckr! Although the buddy is nice in my scout.

Originally Posted By: elkrivermn

From what I understand, the big buddy has regulators built in. Not sure if you need the filter, but I think its like $10.

Here is from the manual which could be read by all owners:

NOTE: THIS HEATER MAY BE OPERATED WITH (1)

OR (2) DISPOSABLE 1 LB. PROPANE CYLINDERS OR

WITH A REMOTE REFILLABLE CYLINDER(S) MAX. 20

LBS USING (1) OR (2) F273701, F273702 OR F272702

HOSE ASSEMBLIES WITH FUEL FILTERS (F273699) ON

EACH HOSE ASSEMBLY. IT MAY ALSO BE OPERATED

WITH (1) F271802 HOSE ASSEMBLY CONNECTED TO

A REGULATED (11” W.C.) PROPANE SOURCE OR (1)

F271803 HOSE ASSEMBLY WITH 11” REGULATOR

WITH ACME NUT.

Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsletter/78438CAL%20MH18B_eng_rev_a.pdf

esox , is that just an on off valve that goes into your tank or a regulator of some kind? Looks like you have used it for 22 yrs! what happened to the wire face of that thing? You must not use it to heat up food very often... just cool seeing old gear that has stood the test of time! thanx for the pic Esox

Thats a regulator, and the grill Dad toasted in Colorado 1 morning making a gallon of coffee in our big coffee pot, got a little warm and warped it beyond use. I have replaced the screens once and 1 thermocouple, screens are getting thin again should pic a set up for the inevitable. She's seen a hard 22 years with ice fishing and many trips to elk camp, a couple years our only heat source. Best $15 I ever spent.