• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lutefisk!

DARK30

My CFO was a little po'd that I picked up three packages at cub for like $12 each. My father in-law always cooked it up but he's no longer with us so I figured I'd try. Cooked the first chunk up in a glass container with the microwave. 5 minutes on med turn and 4 more on high...turned out great but I had to share it with my mom and son.

I've heard of the boot method but maybe I'll try baking the next chunk with a side dish of prime rib next week grin

I tried it for the first time last year, and to me it tasted like rotten fish jello. Don't get me wrong, I love fish and seafood. It was just the texture that was kind of funky for me. And yes, I did eat it with a lot of butter.

gringrin Jedi, you had me so amused I had to call my wife in to read what you wrote....thats exactly how I would describe it if I would have thought of it eek My dad was full blooded norwegian so we had plenty of it,, and I could never stand it. cry I like the old wives tales I heard of how it came about,,supposedly someone was curing cabbage or something like that pickled outside on the doorstep and dogs would come by and pee on it and after a few days you had Lutefisk!!!! Not sure if thats close to the truth or not but after eating it I wouldnt doubt it. wink

And here's the recipe:

Cod fillets

1 gallon of very old gas

Month-old gut pile from deer or elk

2 cups turpentine

1 dirty diaper

Mix all together, place in a sealed container with glass lid and let sit in the sun for three or four days. Microwave for two minutes and serve.

You definitely have to acquire a taste for it. When done right it can grow on you. Unfortunately, most people cook it wrong. Many people, in fact, most people in this country I would bet, don't like venison because they seldom have it and when they do, someone cooked the H-E-double hockey sticks out of it and its like eating a boot. Same goes for Lutefisk.

My mother-in-law thaws it in ice water. When ready, she drops it into a pot of boiling water for just a few minutes, just enough to cook it firm. It comes out soft and tender but in one piece and not jello-like. Pour a generous amount of hot clarified butter over it and you're good to go. It's not my favorite thing in the world but its not bad and its chased by some authentic swedish meatballs, gravy and mashed potatoes accompanied by plenty of lefse and Christmas cookies afterward.

On the way home Christmas Eve, I had a hearty belch in the van. I told the wife and kids, mmmmmm, tastes like a combination of Lutefisk and sugar cookies. I taste that taste once a year and it's a nice moment when I do.

P.S. My uncle's hunting camp each year way up "Nort" has a huge Lutefisk/Meatball dinner and its not even the holidays!

I love the "I hate this stuff" comments about Lutefisk. That just leaves more of it for those of us who enjoy it.

As a kid, my grandmother would make it at Christmas, and I hated it, but over the years I have acquired a tast for the stuff. Much to the dismay of my wife and daughter, I will cook up a chunk in the microwave and enjoy it with melted butter and a mashed rutabega on the side.

I love the "I hate this stuff" comments about Lutefisk. That just leaves more of it for those of us who enjoy it.

As a kid, my grandmother would make it at Christmas, and I hated it, but over the years I have acquired a tast for the stuff. Much to the dismay of my wife and daughter, I will cook up a chunk in the microwave and enjoy it with melted butter and a mashed rutabega on the side.

Tough stomach--It's the rutabega. grin

When I was young my mother would insist that we would eat Lutefisk once a year. She would make a big deal of it. She would get out the good china and silverware. So to make a long story short, IS THERE A RIGHT WAY TO COOK IT? Get out the Ionic Breeze!

Maybe a little Sunday roadtrip is in order....

LUTEFISK SUPPER

Sunday Feb 7 1-6 pm $14

Dell Lutheran Church in Frost, Mn.

The menu also includes: Potatoes, Klub, Corn, Norwegian Meatballs, Romgrot, Lefsa, Kringla, Norwegian Rice, Homemade Buns, Rosettes.

Sounds good to me! ...even if they are ELCA grin