• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow Eater (Bohemian Waxwing)

Image says it all smile Image made in Duluth, MN., winter 2007.

Minolta5d, Tokina80-400mm, manual focus, manual exposure, iso400, f9, cropped, toned down a few icy specular highlights, increased saturation, USM. Comments and critiques welcomed.

Regards,

Shawn Zierman.

waxwing.jpg

And now, as Paul Harvey would say....the rest of the story. Bohemian waxwings+significant food source= extended easy close up viewing opportunities. This one bird was part of a flock of hundreds of waxwings feasting on ornamental crabapples on Minnesota Point in Duluth, Minnesota. In between bouts of the apple fest, the birds would descend upon the freshly fallen snow and quench their thirst. The pock marks in the snow around this bird are where other birds had just been, "drinking" their fill of snow. They would also periodically land on the road and eat grit/salt. If you ever get the chance to watch bohemian waxwings, take your time and enjoy it, they only show up in the colder months and are pure delight to any naturalist, able to lift the spirits of anyone struggling to cope with winter. If when I die, I am allowed into heaven, there will surely be bohemian waxwings there to greet me with their wonderful quavering trills smile

I thought flew south during the winter. I don't see them.

We are in cedar waxwing breeding range, but most move south in the winter from northeastern Minnesota. In warmer winters you can find them here feeding on fruit/berries.

Bohemian waxwings, on the other hand, breed quite a bit to our north and west in Canada, and are commonly seen on fruiting/berry trees in the Northland only during winter.

So in a typical year you'll see cedar waxwings all spring, summer and fall. Then, as the cedars move south for the winter, the Bohemians move in for the winter. But it's not a precise time deal, and these things can vary widely not only based on weather but on fruit availability.