• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Video Games and Getting sick...

Deitz Dittrich

So, for as long as I can remember, since first person shooter video games have been out. Whenever I play them, after about 15 mins, I start to puke. Not even sure I should be admitting this.. I can play sports games and racing games, but some thing about the graphics of first person shooter games, trip off some seisure type response from me which usually ends up with puke.

Anyway.. the question is.. am I the only one.. and are the new graphics on Xbox or PS3 good enough that I may not have this problem any more? Has anybody with this problem tried dramamine? Or similar product?

I recently got a PS3 and would love to get some of the new games, but dont want to risk the sickness again, as its not so fun.

I used to get that, not to that extent, but I would get a headache and nauseous. (Ps One & Ps Two)

I bought a PS3 when the new slim version came out, and have been playing Battlefield 1943 and COD:MW2 and haven't had a problem. Not sure why, but I ain't complaining!!!!!

I played Oblivion on the PC and didn't have a problem on there either, so that may be an option for you as well.

Battlefield 1943 maybe a good game for you to try out, since you can download it right off the PSNetwork and I believe its only $15.

Rundave.. yep, thats exactly it.. a weird motion sickness thing.. The drool starts first, then I know its time to go hang out in the bathroom for a little while..

maybe I will try and rent a MW2 or something and try dramimine?.. can hurt, well except for loosing my lunch maybe.

You aren't the only one. I have a friend of mine this happens to. Third personish type games seem to be fine for him (likes of WOW, Starcraft...etc)however he gets green at the first look of a 1st person shooter.

A few years back when I was playing Battlefield Vietnam, I was in 3rd person view hopping into a plane when I told him I had something cool to show him.....took off and flew around for a minute making him scratch his head as to what was cool. Switched it to first person view, and whipped off a few barrels rolls and chuckled as he bolted to the bathroom. (now that I think of it, lucky on my part he didn't spew on me) sick

You are not alone Deitz. It happens to a lot of people. Especially FPS games.

One thing you can do is turn down the cursor sensitivity so the screen doesn’t move around so fast.

I think this might happen because instead of focusing “into” the game people are focusing on the screen (if that makes sense).

I remember when Halo first came out, man did that one make me woozy.

I really think the sensitivity is a big factor though. If I turn mine way up on MW2, I start to get that sick feeling so I have to ease it back down again and I’m fine.

Yes, most FPS games can be adjusted. The only problem is that there is always some snot nosed punk that is able to play the game on “insane” sensitivity and whip around in a millisecond to shoot you. Meanwhile you are in slow motion trying to turn around to see yourself getting sprayed with lead.

I found this online...

Quote:
Q: Occasionally, when I play video games, I get motion sickness. Why is that?

A: The accepted term for that particular variety of motion sickness has been called “simulator sickness,” and despite a few studies to determine its cause, nobody is quite sure why it happens.

It doesn't affect just video-game players. A 1995 report by the U.S. Army Research Institute found that almost half the military pilots who used flight simulators developed aftereffects — and 10 percent of those respondents had symptoms lasting more than 4 hours.

Like motion sickness brought on by planes and boats, simulator sickness seems to occur when there is a disagreement in the brain between what you're seeing and what your inner ear reports is actually happening. One theory about motion sickness posits that it occurs because the area postrema portion of the brain associates the visual/balance discrepancy with hallucination. Since seeing things that aren't there is often a sign of poison in the body, the brain tells the body to purge, unleashing the hot dogs.

How can you fix it? You might try sitting farther away from the screen so that it doesn't fill your field of vision. Also, experience often helps you get over it. It seems that after enough exposure to dizzying graphics, your brain learns that you don't die from poison every time you play a first-person shooter, and it lets you enjoy your fun.

There were a ton of replies to this article.. sounds like a lot of people like me.. Ginger root supposedly helps, as well as Dramamine..

They also state that 3rd person Shooter games are not as bad.. What are the best 3rd person shooter games for me to try renting?

Third person shooters games... any game where you are looking at the character from behind.

Gears of War... comes to mind as one of the good recent ones.

I know someone who is the in the same boat.... bummer for you guys. Hope some of the tips listed help out.. Keep us posted.

Good luck

I seldom play FPS anymore, but back in the Doom days I noticed this occasionally.

I think it has to do with a conflict between your visual and auditory senses. The balance centers of your ears are telling your brain your body is stationary, but the visual cues from the screen are that you are walking and turning various directions. It's almost reverse seasickness.

When you change to a third person view, the perspective changes enough your brain doesn't feel that it's you doing the turning.

Oops, somehow I missed reading Deitz's quote!

You can play MW2 in third person mode, but only on multiplayer. SOCOM is third person (playstation only game). Gears of War is a great one like LFC mentioned.

How can you set up as 3rd person in multiplayer????

I've seen the options as a.... viewer.. not the right word... observer..... anyway, OH Spectator! but never had success trying to get it to play 3rd person...was going to try to show shamu but didn't work it for any period of time.

Just keep playing it'll go away. Anyone watching me play (that doesn't play themselves) always say they are getting dizzy, yet I never have any problems. I would say it has less to do with controller sensitivity and more to do with familiarity of environment. IE if I turn left I know I will see this building etc. Once you have that down your brain will be better able to take in everything and process it correctly.

Hey Deitz, Do you have the same problem when riding in car? I have very bad motion sickness when riding in a car and have to carry dramamine with me everywhere I go encase I end up riding with someone. I notice it somewhat when playin fps games but I usually can manage it by turning down the controler sensitivity like others have said and taking breaks. I can't play for long periods of time.

I have the same issues. I can't even turn around too quickly without feeling dizzy. I can't watch hand held videos, either.

The only video games I can do first person are ones on the Wii Fit, since I am moving my body at the same time I am seeing it on the screen. I can't play the auto racing games without feeling sick, so I try to avoid those.

I carry Rugby Travel Sickness chewables with me everywhere. They are nondrowsy, and come in bottles of 100. I picked them up at WallyWorld. There are similar off brands that will work just as well.

I do not get car sick UNLESS I am pulling my boat down HWY 10.. for some reason that road is just bad for pulling trailers.. your truck ends up bouncing up and down till I puke..

I tried dramamine and COD, I made it about 20 mins till I had to stop.. I did find out I suck at FPS games.. I'll stick to sports games.