• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BBQers unite!

Dyed in the wool charcoal guy here. Have been using Weber kettles for the last 25 years. Looking into a BGE as well. Couple of questions for those of you that use them;

Where do you buy the "natural" charcoal they require and how expensive is it. In understand there are way fewer ashes than with a Weber!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beginning BBQ enthusiast here! I just have the Weber kettle but I have been able to turn out some pretty good stuff so far. I do a lot of fish, ribs, venison, and pork buts so far but I am ready and willing to smoke anything! I'm with you on the charcoal Big Dave, add the wood of your choice and nothing can compete with the flavor.

I'd like to get a heavy duty offset smoker, might even custom make one some day. So many options your head can get filled with ideas pretty fast.

Those Eggs are sounding great. For know I'm using a brinkman dual zone grill not efficient at all but with a lot stoking I can turn out some good stuff.

I have not gotten to this yet, last year I got a hold of an industrial kithen convection oven that Ive been meaning to retro fit into a smoker. This thing is sealed up tight when the two glass doors are shut and its well insulated, easily get 2 20# turkeys in it maybe 4 maybe pushing it. I just have to figure out where and how to get smoke and heat in it and if I could use the convection fan to draw the smoke in.

Been a BIG BBQ'r for many (too many to mention!)years. I worked in a butcher shop for a couple of years, and that's where I really got the bug. My favorite meat to do is a hand-cut thick pork steak (excuse me, started to drool)which I rub with some light oil, then I rub with my "pork rub" seasoning and put in the 'fridge overnight, wrapped tightly. I prefer charcoal, but I can do gas too...but you need a GOOD grill to keep the temp at about 200-225 degrees...MUST be "low & slow" for pork! I'll get a good head of smoke going from apple and hickory chips mixed, and cook for about 2 hours, alternating shutting the heat down to really bring up the smoke, then bringing the heat back up. I'll put my BBQ sauce on the top of the steaks for the last 45 minutes or so,raising the heat, until I get a good glaze. A Boston Butt is great to do, too...and chicken the same way with apple wood. Rubbing the chicken with oil really helps the burn/stick problem, too.

Where do you buy the "natural" charcoal they require and how expensive is it. In understand there are way fewer ashes than with a Weber!

I think most lump charcoal is natural. Most of the briquettes like Kingsford are full of chemicals and give off a bad taste and odor when employing the miniun method.

You can get Royal Oak lump at Wally-world. I haven't quite located a source for Wicked Good Lump yet but it sayas on their HSOforum that Appliance Service in Shakoppee is a dealer. I want to try the wicked good, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

There are also some briquettes that are all natural as well. Kingsford makes one that is called Kingsford Competition. I just bought a bag yesterday at the orange home store. I hope to try it out soon. There is another one at wally world that has the sam's name on it that I believe is all natural too but I'm not 100% sure about that.

If you like doing things yourself and have a source for oak or other hard wood, you can make your own. I've never done it but it doesn't look all that hard to do. I may give it a try some day.

Try Googling "naked whiz make lump charcoal" You should find a good set of instructions on The Naked Whiz web site.

Charcoal all the way here. I like mesquite smoke but my family doesn't so I don't get to add that very often. Cook just about anything on the grill from fish to meat to vegetables.

My last bag was Wicked good. Prior to that I used Royal Oak steak house from Menards. The wicked good had larger chucks, but I believe it's about twice the price of the royal oak. $22ish for 20#'s of Wicked good and $4.88 for 8#'s of royal oak.

Both lasted long, and burned hot with little ash.. So, it comes down to money for me.

I started this spring with a gas water smoker, hated the amount of propane it used. So, I wanted to try a wood smoker. A friend gave me an offset, that was tough to control heat with. I then found out about the UDS and made one. That thing is sweet! Low charcoal consumption, very easy to maintain heat and I think I cooked 26 hours straight on one load of charcoal.

I now have a green egg. Love that for it's versitility and the fact I can cook on my deck with it. For smaller jobs, I'll use the egg, but for big cooks, the UDS gets a work out.

1244673036.jpg

8aa9a840.jpg

Oh and I also like cooking over an open fire too > smile

2f3db5eb.jpg

I've got to jump on the bandwagon here also, I've got a nice big charcoal grill at home that I turn into a smoker. I make my own rubs, and BBQ sauce. I love spare ribs, I think they have a bit more texture and taste than baby backs and they are a hell of a lot cheaper.

I've really just started getting crazy over it this year and hope to upgrade to a bigger better cooker next summer.

For me it is lump or real wood only!!!

I have had real good luck with the Cowboy brand from the big green lumberyard chain.

But I have found that about any lump is good.

My wife and I fight over this because she wants me to get a gas cooker.

I just tell her I will stop BBQ'ing and that ends the conversation. grin

Very nice set-ups you guys have here!!!

Quote:
I love spare ribs

Always great ! A little rub all over and let them sit for 24 -48 hours and a nice low and slow smoke session. I am getting hungry for some ribs grin

Me too! smile

Anyone have a favorite rub recipe to share?

Originally Posted By: jimalm

Always great ! A little rub all over and let them sit for 24 -48 hours and a nice low and slow smoke session. I am getting hungry for some ribs grin

When and where?

Maybe we need to organize a BBQ get together in the spring?

Thats a great idea Fisherman FAL. I'll have to try that since I still have not come up with a rub that I think is perfect. I'm not much on sauce but my wife and son like BBQ sauce so I recently started making a simple memphis type sauce that I found on the internet that we think is pretty good. I need to try a lot more rubs though! What are your favorites?

Hi - sorry it took so long to chech the thread.

I can give away one that is real good. It's Famous Dave's Rib Rub. Very good!

I cannot tell you the absolute best, but couple that one with a strong Hickory Rib Rub...

Anyone have a favorite rub recipe to share?

Merkman's Latest Rib Rub

Finger lickin, sweet and spicy goodness!!!

Great flavor with minimum salt content.

MAKES 1/2 cup

Ingredients

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 teaspoons McCormick's Roasted Garlic & Bell Pepper Seasoning Blend

1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick's Hot Mexican Chili Powder

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder

1 teaspoon celery salt

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

Directions

----------

1) Mix all ingredients in a bowl or ziplock bag.

2) Use generously as a rib rub or it is a great lower salt seasoning for any type of meat.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Merkmans-Latest-Rib-Rub-296631

Merkman,

That looks like a great rub. I'll probably give it a try eventually.

Here is a simple Memphis style rub that I've been using lately because it is easy and I usually have all of the ingredients handy.

Ingredients:

1/4 C. paprika

2 tbsp. brown sugar, packed

2 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp. chili powder

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)

1 tsp. dry mustard

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. onion powder

Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix with a fork. Store until needed. Keeps in a cool, dry place for six months.

My family really likes this BBQ sauce.

Ingredients:

2. C. ketchup

1/2 C. yellow mustard

1/2 C. packed brown sugar

1/4 C. apple cider vinegar

1/2 - 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, to taste

1 tbsp. onion powder

1 tbsp. chili powder

1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper

2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. celery salt

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. liquid smoke

3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a medium non-reactive saucepan.

Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, til smooth and thickened. Watch out for splashing-- it's so thick that splashes are killer. It's okay to cover.

Let cool slightly, and serve. This bbq sauce gets better as it sits.