• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone still bow hunting???

musky796

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's getting harder to get motivated, especially in the morning. The weather's supposed to be nice tomorrow afternoon before it gets cold on Tuesday again, so hopefully the Vikings will get an early lead, and I'll be sitting out there again tomorrow afternoon.

I still am hoping to get the drop tine buck or a dandy 8 pointer that I have seen on the land I hunt.

I have a final Monday and Tuesday and I work 2nd shift so I will be out everyday from 9am to 1pm this week.

I hope to make an all day sit on Friday and spend a lot of time in the stand this weekend.

Well the Muzzy's cleaned. Now ice fishing is starting but i still have my buck tag left. Its going to take the perfect condition to get me out now. It's been a long season. At least 4 days a week sense October 1st. Been a good one though seen more bucks than does for the first time ever. No shooters though, at least during hunting hours. But they'll be there next year and most likley bigger!!

It is hard to stay out there now. I hunted 3hrs, and man that seemed like a whole day of hunting in October. The cold isn't too bad, but the wind. Hate wind, just sucks the warmth out of a guy.

So will a deer notice if I drag my otter lodge out, open the door and fire up the heater? It will look terrible, but I think if I can sit all day in this spot, I will see some deer.

Sat for a few hours on Saturday evening.....wonderful afternoon to be out in the stand. Deer still were not moving worth a darn. Saw two small does about 40 yards away moving towards the fields, but that was it. Plan to hit it hard over Christmas as a last chance...........

Have been out three times this week and saw lots of deer two nights--last night I saw almost twenty deer in two different fields, but nothing moved until right at dusk. The muzzleloaders have kept them nocturnal where I'm hunting, and I haven't had a chance to hunt a morning for a few weeks. All the tracks after the last two snowfalls tell me that morning is the best time right now. If the wind blows, though, I'll be lucky to hang in there for more than two hours, especially if it's below freezing. I spent a half hour pulling the ground blind the other night. I figured if it got too much colder, I wouldn't get it out until spring.

Glad to see I'm not the only one wishing to see deer. Hopping the deer god bless me with a shoot. Have had no luck seeing deer. Only been hunting bow seance the end of rifle season. I've always liked late season hunting. Have been seeing a lot of beds and tracks but no deer. Still have standing corn in the area seem to be a good source of food for them. To bad its not on the land I have permission to hunt on. Plan on hitting tomorrow and this weekend. Nice to see it warm up a little for the up coming days. Depending on the wind direction would like to do some spot and stalk on a new area if all goes well. Good luck to the rest of ya.

MK

Gardn:

I wear my Carhart coveralls as a bottom layer and haven't noticed any effect. I wear a camo parka for my top layer, but still saw some does. Think it boils down more to them catching you moving around more than the camo pattern. If you can see them coming and get setup before they pick you off, you should be in business.

engfish I like that muzzy hunters keeping them nocturnal and I'm sure that isn't helping you out, and where I have permission to hunt it's the bow hunters that help turn them nocturnal before rifle season. Never fails now that the 80 has few deer once bow pressure kicks in in there and they go to a 20 acre patch of grass,willow,and cattail where no one hunts and get stacked up like cordwood in it, been the pattern for years not to mention deer just know it's safer after dark and odds are they'd go nocturnal much more once the snow hits the ground. Good Luck everyone still pluggin away, it only takes 1 non-nocturnal deer to make your season and I have a feeling quite a few decent bucks made it to this point!

I sure hope so MuskyBuck.....will be out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning trying to track down that "buck"! Trails I was hunting before haven't been seeing much action since the snow came in, so I have to do some scouting in order to find where they went! Should be fun....love this late season hunting!

I'm still trying to shoot a couple does for the freezer, but its getting harder and harder as it gets colder. You guys think a deer would notice a guy wearing carharts up in a tree? just an idea at keeping myself a bit warmer

\

Carharrts would probably be better actually, the brown would blend in well I would think. Probably better than the green camo patterns.

Wear what keeps you warm, longer time in the stands means better odds at a deer. You can probably pick up some thin/cheap white camo pattern to throw over your warm clothes, it the best camo this time of year anyway. Even wrapping yourself in a white sheet will do wonders to breakup your outline.

is it a good idea to wear snow camo in a tree our just on the ground? im not sure if that would make you stand out more in a tree then normal camo would.

Look up into the trees near your stand. Probably no leaves left, not much cover. The sky's most often cloudy (white). Snow camo works great for tree stands this time of year.