• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fun and goofy tree names

Steve Foss

I just ran into a situation where a Finn who was born and raised up here on the Range called a tree a "bombageelia" or something like that. I was felling and bucking unwanted trees on his property and we were talking while I was taking a break. I was a bit puzzled, but he described it as a lot like an aspen, and I realized he was talking about a balsam poplar (Populus candicans), also known as the "balm of Gilead."

I thought that was an interesting corruption/shortening of the tree name, and that made me wonder if anyone else has heard it said that way.

Also made me wonder about what other strange and wonderful colloquialisms are out there.

Anybody got some cool ones to share?

one of my favorites is when someone in the landscape industry refers to the chinese elm as a lace bark elm. talk about trying to put a positive spin on a 40 to 70ft noxious weed. also get a kick out of when the industry puts the word dwarf in front of things like amur maples or juneberries, if you kill them after 4 years or so they will only grow to 6ft.

I do tree trimming and removal and I've heard Chinese Elm called Asian Elms and a city forester here calls them Mongolian Elms. They are also called a name referring to a bodily fluid.

And I've heard Buckthorn called many names, all unprintable. As for the Box Elder being called a Maple, it is a cousin to the Maple and you can boil its sap in the spring just like a Maple.

I like to tell people that there is a proper time and method to prune Weeping Willows. The method is the Toro Method and the right time is when they're small enough to go over with your mower.

Ginkgo tree (Ginkgo biloba) also known as Maidenhair tree. Considered a living fossill. Dated back 2.5 millions years with life expectancy of 2500 to 3000 years. I remember this as I planted these trees when I first started out landscaping and the architect was kind enough to give me the low down. Though I did have to resort to wikipedia to refresh my memory but after 25 years I am still intrigued with the tree.

There was ironwood in the woods near where I grew up in SE MN & Dad pointed it out when we ran across it. My favorite is nannyberry. It's a small shrubby tree and the fruit looks sorta like, um, well miniature goat/sheep droppings. Tastes better though. Dad also called it blackhaw which conjured up visions of someone coughing up a lung for whatever reason.

BobT-Technically, all the trees you listed are in the pine family (Pinaceae), but it IS frustrating when people call in with symptoms of their evergreen, and they don't know if it is a pine, spruce, fir, cedar, etc. Makes over-the-phone diagnostics a struggle.

Another one for boxelder is ash-leafed maple.