• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many are going out with your bow tomorrow in Mn?

tunrevir

I plan on hitting the woods with my bow tomorrow right around the Forest Lake area with the hopes of getting another shot at a 10 pt I have seen 3 times in the past week and nearly shot last Saturday morning but missed due to a deflection off of a branch. I also have seen a nice 8 chasing does by my stand on weds and would take him if given the chance. The property owner where I hunt doesn't allow guns so I am relegated to the bow. Just wondering how many archers will be out in the woods for opening of the gun season. I will be in blaze camo while out.

Tunrevir~

i normally would until last year when i had about a 170-180 class 12 pointer 50 some yards away from me for about 10 minutes...i could of shot the buck 10 different times with a gun but only had my bow lol...i called it to the night before telling my gf and my cousin to just watch i'll have a huge buck just out of bow range but a simple gun shot.

i'm hopefully takin out the muzzyloader with scope...i need to go get this thing mounted on and sighted in though...good luck to ya!!

I'll have the rifle in hand tomorrow but it'll be more of just in case as our youngest daughter has first dibs with her bow this year.

We'll be sitting together at the junction of two funnels where I cleared two very nice shooting lanes to the trails at 20 yards about a month ago.

I am pumped. I have high hopes for this spot and for her to get an opportunity. She isn't comfortable with shooting a gun but she's pretty good with her bow. smile

BTW, the winds will be just right for the spot tommorrow. gringrin

Good luck to you all. I too am hoping that the gun toting masses will push a deer or two my way. I think I have an ideal stand setup for this as I have heavy brushlines on 2 sides of me and a chute leading down the middle from where most of the pressure is going to come from. I have my fingers crossed that I will get a crack at 1 or 2 of the bucks I have seen lately. Still better then going to work. Sohaad, I'll call if I get the one I have been after. To the rest of you, good luck, be safe and if nothing else, enjoy the beautiful weather:)

Tunrevir~

I'm a little bummed.... Im in Ventura,Ca...workin.. And wondering where the rut is at, in northern MN. You guys all know the Mr Big that you may have seen if he will avoid the blaze orange barrage. Anyway hoping to get out when I return... To all be safe this season and good luck...

I hope you have kevilar walls in the ground blind the pucker factor would be to much to catch me in a ground blid opening morning maybe dig a pit and set the blind on top of it. grin

Oh, the neighbor or his girlfriend, whichever one of them hunt it are very careful shots. I know there could always be an accident but they don't shoot at running deer and they usually only take one shot. Plus there are a ton of thick trees inbetween us. I also place several long strips of blaze orange tape at different angles on each side of the blind so it can clearly be seen. That is, hunters can see it a lot more than the deer can, who view orange more as a tan or muted yellow.

The content of this statement has been edited as not offend anyone with vulgar language.

All organized deer drives should be outlawed on public land! I was dressed in the required orange, sitting in my tree with my bow in hand and an army of 15 guys formed a wall and began pushing my direction. This deer drive began not a quarter mile from me and I know most of them could see me before they started pushing. I got the heck out of my stand and left before I became a victim of circumstance. After the push, I approached and asked them why they pushed it and basically put my life in danger as well a ruining my deer hunting area with the drive? They simply replyed that it is public ground and we can do what we want as long as it is legal.

The good news is Hard-Core, that I believe less and less people are doing drives you describe because they realize how dangerous it is. And they realize that they pretty much screw themselves out of any stand hunting because of the pressure they create. I hesitate to have it outlawed because many people can do them "organized" and safely, slowly covering large amounts of land gently pushing the deer along toward one another, not chasing them. Still, I don't like drives and will never particiapate in one. Not my style of hunting. Kind of like the gang of kids at school pummeling one kid. Not exactly a fair fight.