• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to the game

Fishnblood

So I'm up at the cabin this past weekend and my father in law has an old compound bow. I told him I was always interested in shooting bow but never really tried. So he says well lets go shoot, so we head outside and I am trying to shoot this old school compound bow with metal pins for sights and the draw weight on this beast had to of been 65-70 pounds. Anyways I shot 10 arrows and my arms were killing me for 3 days. Long story short I am fricken hooked. So, I am looking to spend between 3 and 400 bucks brand new or used. Where do you all recommend I go and get geared up at? Any suggestions of bows? I have been reading quite a bit and learned my draw length is 29.5 I believe I can probably pull about 60 pounds comfortably. Thanks for all the help.

welcome to the sport! the reason your arms hurt it because that bow probably didnt have any let off. Go to your local sporting good store and tell them your price range and draw lenght/weight and they should be able to set you up. most brands now days are very good. dont let the brand name fool you more than likely if you go for a mthws or hyt you will be paying for the name! good luck

I bought a mission X3 at scheels last year. The bare bow was around $300. I had about $550 in it when it was all said and done (rest, quiver, sight, 12 arrows, peep ect.) The used option doesn't really work for me cause i'm a lefty with a 30" draw. If you're right handed though, you will be able to get a heck of a used bow for $300-$400. There are alot of good bows out there, new or used. I just wanted to to say that I am really happy with the one I have... especially for the $$$.

Good luck finding something. You will not be disappointed getting into this sport. It is like no other hunting!

Yup the best thing and the most common response you will get is to go shoot a lot of them and see what "fits" you and your style of shooting. When you go scheels, cabelas, ect. they will tell all about different bows and options. The last bow i bought I was deciding wheather to go used or new and for a hundred dollars more I went new cuz of the warrenty. You never know unless its someone personal, if the bow has been dry fired or what have you, Scheel would'nt give me a decent warrenty on a used one, but new i got a 1 year from them and a five year from the manufature. So just make sure you shop around for the one you like at different locations to make sure your getting the best bow for your buck. wink

your best bet is to go to a couple of pro shops that sell archery equipment. There they will be able to ffind a bowin that price range and get set up for you. They also will teach you how to shoot properly and give your the best advice on new equipment anf gear for bow hunting. And rember to shoot year round it makes a big diffenace on how well you can shoot.

I am going to go a different route, because you are new, the main thing you have to worry about is getting a bow that fits properly in drawlength, weitght etc.... I would not get as hung up on how it feels, you are a newbie, how are you supposed to know how it feels? I would go with a gently used bow that is less than 5 years old. For the money you are talking, you should be able to find a nice one. You WILL learn how to shoot it as long as it fits your body. Find somebody that knows something about archery and make sure that you learn how to shoot correctly and then practice, practice, practice. Once you get into it and want to upgrade, then you will be able to be more picky on how something feels and what exactly you want out of bow.

. most brands now days are very good. dont let the brand name fool you more than likely if you go for a mthws or hyt you will be paying for the name! good luck

You pay for the name and the technology, warranty, and reliability. I've shot everything from Bear, Reflex, Hoyt, Browning, Mathews, and Bowtech. You get what you pay for in my opinion.

I am with trigger. get a bow that fits you that is the single most important thing. I would like to add to this though go to a pro shop that is all they do.. the chain store may very well have a guy working in the archery isle that was last week working in the womens aparell section second stay away from the speed bows being new this is not what will help you they can be very unforgiving meaning your lack of shooting consistency will be greately amplified and cause you much frustration. and finally have fun and shoot shoot shoot it fun thats why we do it

agreed. you dont want a snail's speed bow, but slower bows are way more accurate. thats why target shooters typically shoot lower draw weights. by starting out with a slower bow, chances are it will have a lighter draw weight as well. so it'll be easier to shoot, and more accurate, definetly anchoring an addiction! bows shoot their best at peak draw weights, so try not to settle for a bow and crank it down to its lowest rating. now, i don't mean for you to go shopping around for a slow bow, i'm just hinting that even if the money provides, as a beginner, you dont need a 360 ft/sec mathews monster! or a bowtech 82nd airborne, which is 350 ft/sec. fast bows aren't as forgiving. there is lots of options out there, most of which are good. its personal preference, just make sure it feels comfy.

last but not least, some people think because they can pull 80 lbs or more that they have to while hunting. don't try to be hercules, if 50 lbs feels right, then shoot 50 lbs! sittin in that stand all day makes ya sore, let alone being cold. drawing a bow back under them circumstances changes how much you can actually draw back.

stopped down at a local shop the other day and he only had one bow in stock in my price range and a couple used bows that didn't look to good. But anyways he says the same thing about new bows coming out and towards the end of november they will be having a sale to closeout this years bows, so maybe I will wait but will continue to look as well.

stopped down at a local shop the other day and he only had one bow in stock in my price range and a couple used bows that didn't look to good. But anyways he says the same thing about new bows coming out and towards the end of november they will be having a sale to closeout this years bows, so maybe I will wait but will continue to look as well.

Do you have a certain brand or model in mind? How about a price range?

I was sold on the Fred Bear when I was looking, then i shot a Matthews Mission, I really liked that. The guy at the pro shot then said, I just HAD to shoot the Switchback. The rest is history. But I would have been more than satisfied with any bear, or mission.

Bear, Reflex, and Mission. All can be had in that range and all are good bows.

I understand they're not making Reflex anymore. If that's true, it's too bad. Great bow for the money.

I was in the same boat 6 years ago. I went to a few of the bigger outdoor stores, and I never got the feeling that the salesman was an "archery" expert. I ended up going to a local archery store. Once I told him what I was looking to spend, he put a few different packages in front of me. I ended up buying from that place, the fact that I was able to shoot them and hear their opinion was huge for me.

On a side note, I shot alot and hunted the first 2 years I bought it (never shot a deer yet, waiting on the big buck). But then my family started getting bigger and finding time to shoot the bow was impossible. Now 5 years later my oldest is 8 and we are heading out together to hunt this weekend. He runs the camera, I do the shooting. He also has a youth bow that he loves and shoots with me every time I shoot.

Shooting the bow is a great family activity. Have fun!

One can also find some great deals on used bows on the big online auction site. One needs to make sure they buy it right as it could need a new string and or a cam and that can run into a few dollars.

One does need to find out your draw length so you purchase a bow that will fit you.

I have seen some awesome deals on used bows as they lose their value pretty fast from new.

One can also find some great deals on used bows on the big online auction site. One needs to make sure they buy it right as it could need a new string and or a cam and that can run into a few dollars.

One does need to find out your draw length so you purchase a bow that will fit you.

I have seen some awesome deals on used bows as they lose their value pretty fast from new.

Trouble is you don't get to shoot it first. That and you don't know how well its been treated. Pictures don't always tell the whole tale. I've seen this bite a lot of people in the arse.

You can get bit, but you can also get sweet deals. I bought my bow on line from a guy in texas all set up for about 2/3 of what it would have been going for. He never had a picture of it, but I emailed the guy a couple of times and he seemed to be a straight shooter. Even got a Matthews quiver with it that I didn't know would be on there. I was real happy, but I agree, buyer beware.

He will learn to shoot whatever bow he buys as long as he knows his personal specs. Sometimes I go back and draw back on my old bows and wonder how I ever shot anything with them. But at the time I didn't know any better and was college student that couldn't afford anybetter. I remember going to a pawn shop in Hastings and trading in a pair of truck speakers in boxes for an ugly, hand painted hoyt. I didn't know anything about drawlength or let off or brace height, but I learned to shoot it well. Alot has changed since then.

Alright guys I finally purchased the Parker Buckhunter package for 349.99 from C abelas today. My only intention was to take a look and get a feel for some of the bows, then head back to the local archery shop and see what he could do for me. But I talked to Jim down at the Owatonna store and he was more then willing to help me and seemed to know what he was talking about. He let me check out a few different bows. I shot a Diamond a PSE and a higher priced Parker. I was down there talking with him and learning more about the bows for probably a good hour and a half. Man I couldn't pass it up, just the fact that he took the time out to assist a "newbie" and answer all my questions and show me how to shoot, I had to buy it. Gotta feeling this is going to head down the same road as Ice fishing. (Except without the beer) haha. Thanks again I appreciate everyone's willing to help and give feedback.