• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One proud 12 yr old

Scoot

My brother and I took our boys out hunting this past Sat. His boys had been in the woods with us before, but this was the first year they were able to actually shoot a bow. Here's a shot of our motley crew: Erik's on the left, Austin's on the right, and my four year old, Ryan, is in the middle.

HPIM2781.jpg

We were hunting in MN on some property that they boys had gotten permission at, about 45 miles NE of Fargo. Rod took Austin with him and I had Erik and Ryan with me.

Erik, Ryan, and I had two fawns come out about an hour after we got to the stand. Erik did everything right- he got up and ready and just needed a doe or buck to join the fawns. Ryan did pretty well for a while, but he couldn't take it any more when he saw a squirrel run near the fawns. He pointed at it and said, "Look at the squirrel, Daddy." The fawns, of course, heard this. They quickly boogied out of there and took their mom, who'd been about 60 yards away (we hadn't seen her yet) with them. Dang!

Soon after we got a text message from my brother saying that Austin had shot a doe! Awesome!!! We waited a little while longer and then went to help Austin go track his doe. Rod said he'd made a perfect shot and that the didn't think she'd go far. We followed a decent blood trail for about 100 yards, but then it got tougher. After 200 more yards, we finally found her. Austin had made a perfect, double lung shot, but she'd made it a lot further than I'd have guessed she would. Here's Austin with his first deer on his first sit ever! Lucky dog!!!

HPIM2784.jpg

Here's the whole crew.

HPIM2788.jpg

And most importantly, here's a shot of one incredibly proud dad, with his two boys on their first night of bowhunting.

HPIM2790.jpg

Congrats again Austin!!! Now, it's Erik's turn. smile

OH boy looks like I get to be the first to reply....that is totally AWESOME!!!! Tell Austin congrats from all the gang on FM and how proud we are of him. You look happier than he does and I would be too. What a great memory that you will have for the rest of your lives!!!

mr

those boys look happy, the arm around you shows how much he really appreciated it. Thats alot for a boy that age, they are normally to cool for that. Awesome story, loved the pics.

That's what I thought! His arm is actually around his dad, which makes it cooler!!!

Funny related story to that the, 96-- we finally found his doe, but I'd asked him to sit with Ryan at the vehicle for a while. There was waiste high burning weed everywhere and I carried Ryan on my shoulders for about 45 minutes, but I couldn't take it any more. So, I asked the closest boy to stay with him for a bit. In the meantime, we found Austin's deer and dragged it to the edge of the woods, near the vehicle. We told Austin we found blood near the truck and brought him out and showed him the deer. To say he was excited would be an understatement. In fact, when I stuck my hand out to shake his hand, he skipped my hand and gave me a big ol' hug. He did the same with his dad too! It was very cool...

I think its cool how when were younger all we look forward to is getting out there and trying to get an animal. Now that I've gotten a little bit older myself I think I'm enjoying taking friends and family who don't hunt that often and get them infront of a deer. I think it's a wierd circle but I think I'm getting more kicks off of friends getting their first animal or hunting with a kid. I just hope the high from hunting never gets dull!

I teach that age group, and they are usually too cool for all that stuff, its great when you get that excitement and appreciation out of them it doesn't happen very often. They are the memories that last forever. Awesome story, beginning to end.

Wow, that's awesome

I think its cool how when were younger all we look forward to is getting out there and trying to get an animal. Now that I've gotten a little bit older myself I think I'm enjoying taking friends and family who don't hunt that often and get them infront of a deer. I think it's a wierd circle but I think I'm getting more kicks off of friends getting their first animal or hunting with a kid. I just hope the high from hunting never gets dull!

Ya, I enjoy taking people who havent hunted much, or don't get a chance to get out much out and when they get something, man the joy is almost unreal, its pretty awesome when someone gets there first deer.