• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

Went out again last night at the same place I wounded a deer (never found the deer yesterday afternoon when I looked again) the night before but I set up in a totally different spot and saw one lone doe at about 5:00. She was really antsy and just didn't feel comfortable so she took off back into the woods. Not a bad week for me (besides the loss of that deer!). First time ever hunting state land. I went out 3 nights and saw deer all 3 times. Can't complain about that. Wish rifle hunting was about a month away yet as the deer are just starting to move a little better up here in the Detroit Lakes area.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out the last two days, wednesday a few hours in the middle of the day and nothing, yesterday sat from 9am to 12:30pm, and saw 0, then went to a different stand and sat from 1:30 to 5:30, nothing again, those 2 stands have been pretty good up to yesterday.

went out sat and finly got one a big 8 rattled him in to about 60 yards then he started to walk away snort weezed with my mouth he turnd around took the long way he went all away around me looking for that buck, then he came in to about 40yds took the shot perfect i have hunted from morning to night since oct now i can get ready for our gun in a couple weeks all i no is that it better cool down soon.

went out last night and sat in my stand for an hour and a half with the bow. Saw a doe but she wouldn't come in and evidently didn't care the eustrus scent I had out. 445 pm I hear something moving in from directly behind me but can't see the animal. It gets closer and closer untill it is at the base of my tree, I look over my left shoulder and can't see anything. I hear it start to move again and look between my legs and right below me is a yearling doe. She walks out in front of me and I am at full draw with her at 8 yards but I have no shot except down through the back between the shoulders. I let down and let her continue on her way, hoping a buck might be in tow. Well, no buck following her so I sat and waited for darkness to fall to get down out of my stand. The kicker is as I am driving home. I have to brake hard for a nice big buck who nonchalantly strolls across the road right in front of my truck! It walked in no hurry right across in front of me at 25'. I looked it over real good because i thought maybe he was wounded because he was walking so slow. Didn't see any obvious wounds on him so maybe he was just wore out from chasing the girls.

Tunrevir~

I took my cousin out to the stand where I saw the big buck last week, I sat in another stand. Guess what? He shot it.... Saw a buck all by itself at 4:00 running across the field. The big guy came out all by itself at dusk. No does, that was a first for me out there. I'll post pics later.

Well I have been reading and reading all of your wonderful stories from a far. I finally closed the deal and thought I would pass it along. I had been bow hunting in Northern WI around Hayward and finally had to give up because I just wasn't seeing any deer. 7 total deer in 16 days of hunting. As luck would have it I work with a guy that allowed me to bow hunt his family land southwest of Rochester. He helped me out after what had been a very frustrating year. I put on the blaze but was armed with a bow.

On Weds afternoon I hit the deer stand around 1pm with plans of sitting until dark and returning on Friday and hunting all day every minute of light until Sunday to try to close the deal. I had passed on a 6 (or small 8) earlier in the afternoon. It was painful to pass as I hadn't had a buck in range all season. My buddy assured me that the land had a few nice bucks on it.

As sunset neared my buck finally walked in. I thought it was the 6 returning but quickly figured out it wasn't. I watched as he thrashed several trees along the path to my tree stand. The path goes directly in front of the stand so my heart started pounding as I knew this was the deer I wanted. At about 10 yards in front of me he presented me with a perfect broadside shot. I let out a quick bleep to make him stop. I have no idea if he even looked at me as my sights were directly on his rib cage. I let if fly and heard a terrible sound like I just nailed a tree. He trotted off and I felt sick. I was trying to find my arrow in a tree branch between me and where the deer was standing. I looked about 75 yards to my right to see if the deer was still standing there. I watched him stand for a split second and just fall over. The fist started pumping and I was going nuts in the stand. I now know that the sound I heard was the arrow hitting him for a perfect double lung shot.

My first deer with a bow! I was hooked before but now I have no intention of ever gun hunting again. Huge thrill! When all was done and I got him in the truck I think what I am proudest of was the double lung shot. All that time at the range paid off big time.

Thanks to all of you guys for posting all your great stories as by reading them it gave me the encouragement to not give up.

Ross2.jpg

Ross3.jpg

Spro- that is a great first bow buck. Really cool G2 split and good character.

I went out yesterday from 3 to dark and didn't see anything. First time i have ever went bowhunting with blaze orange on (not sitting in a tree either.) Have only seen 3 does and small buck this year. Non of which were in shooting range. However, it is my first year hunting this piece of property and there is about 80 acres of standing corn so it is pretty tough to see/hear anything. Oh well, a bad day in the woods or on the water is better than a good day in the office.