• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips for a Rook

pikehunter

After years of saying "next year, I'm taking up bow hunting," I finally decided to take the plunge a couple months ago, and made the necessary upfront investments. (Bow, camo, gear, etc.) I've delved into any piece of reading I could find to learn more than I thought existed and spent the rest of the time scouting - as well as more than I'm willing to admit shooting at the range. (Simply because of the enjoyment of shooting the new toy!)

A few days away from opener, I'm pumped. Figured it's as good a time as any to tap the knowledge floating around with this group (although, I've been lurking and reading for months!).

So, experts, what do I need to know that I may not? What do you wish someone would have told you before your first season?

There are hundreds if not thousands of different tips to give a new bowhunter going into the woods, and the learning is never over. That said, here are a few things I think are helpful and important as a neophyte:

Practice drawing your bow on every animal that comes in - even if you don't plan to shoot it. You will quickly learn what you can't get away with, and hopefully learn ways of drawing unnoticed. Next, if you have a rangefinder, range different objects when you first get into the stand so that you are prepared when a deer comes in (if you don't have a rangefinder, visually determine the ranges of areas you think a shot may present itself). Also, never force a shot on an animal. Especially as a new bowhunter it is important to not rush shots or take bad shots in the excitement of the moment. As much as it might bug you that you passed on a shot that you maybe could have made, it will in no way compare to the questioning of oneself after taking a shot that you probably shouldn't have taken and wounding a deer that you can't find. Lastly, and most importantly, HAVE FUN.

Check out the tip of the week thread.

There is so much to know that you'll never know it all. Try and learn something each time you practice and each time you hunt. It takes time and don't get discouraged if you don't see deer or if you miss. Your time will come and all you can do is be as well prepared as possible.

Nothing to enlightening.

Don't shoot them in the face! smile

Congratulations in advance of what you're about to experience! It might seem tedious but keep a journal of everything relevant while scouting or bowhunting. It will help you later in big ways. Deer can be predictable, but if you don't read the past you can't read the future. Do not over hunt a particular stand. The first time you hunt a stand will often be your best opportunity. There's no such thing as too much practice. Practice in the clothes you'll be hunting in. Head to toe. Practice a lot of cold shots (one shot, carry on with life, hours later... shoot once more, repeat). Mind the wind. I could go on for pages of advice and lessons I've learned but if you read enough magazine articles, don't accept what you see on tv as 'the only way', lurk here, learn from your own experience, and keep a positive attitude- you'll have a good hunt.

Well said matthothand.

Another thing that will help for sure is that the higher one gets in a tree, the less likely you will get winded or seen.

Make sure to use a safety harness when hiking up and sitting in a tree too.

We would hate to see or hear about any bad falls. It does happen every year to someone, somewhere.

Lets all be very careful this season.

No matter what, "Murphy's Law" will come into play!

What can go wrong, will go wrong!

So the only way thru this is to chalk every time out hunting a learning experience!

Bring a digital camera with you while your hunting as the woods come alive in the morning with critters, owls, waterfowl, turkeys, etc, bigfoot. You'll see them with the front row view only sitting in a tree stand can offer, and having a digital camera to capture the moment is priceless!

Remember "Safety First"!

Good Luck!

Not to be a bummer but you will find it is easily ten times harder to harvest a deer than with a gun. But that said much more of a rush, being in the woods when the deer are calm and more natural is awesom. and having them spend 5 minutes or so up real close is amazing the first time. I remember it like it was yesterday hearing the sound of one chewing acorns. and watching its eyeball move around. I couldnt believe the sound of my pounding heart didnt spook it grin The best advise I ever got was watch the wind and scent thing and if you know who chuck Adams is he has harvested about every animal that walks the planet with a bow and will not hunt in anything but knee high rubber boots, I couldnt believe the difference it makes, deer walking right up to my stand on the same path I did 10 minutes prior.

Don't hold out for only a trophy buck first off. That doesn't mean you need to shoot the first fawn that walks in, although I don't see anything wrong with that. I'd bet many bowhunter's first kill was a fawn, mine didn't happen to be, but I've shot several. Just give yourself a realistic goal & when you get a good opportunity at a deer that fits your decided range, stick it. You learn a lot when you actually try to take one.

I also would suggest that if you have a good chance and a good shot at a doe, take it. If you have a smaller doe that you don't want to take, at least draw back and see if you can draw back with the deer not catching you move.

To me, the biggest part of shooting a deer coming your way is to get drawn back on it before he or she catches you. Those does with fawns are pretty wary.

Help yourself if you can hold the shot for a bit by drawing back while it walks by a tree or another patch of weeds so they don't catch you. Don't do it to far ahead of the shot as it can get tough to hold it for a longer period of time for a good killing shot. There are times when you are drawn back that they will sense something is wrong and may stand there without a shot and letting the draw back can really be tough if you cannot hold it any longer.

You will only know when to draw after doing it for a few times as all deer act different.

One could also go back through the archives for this forum and read all the great tips others have offered for the archer.

Here is a tip I use so deer don't see me draw my bow when they're in range.

I use doe pee on a scent pad and put it on the far side of a small tree along the trail I expect to see a deer traveling.

The deer will stop with it's head (including eye's and ear's) totally behind the tree leaving the neck on back exposed.

That way you don't have to make any noise to stop it and will be totally relaxed to give you a perfect double lung shot because it cannot see you move when you draw! grin

Good tips so far.. here's another. When that first deer comes walking in you'll be just fixed on it. Waiting for that perfect time to draw and shoot but make sure you look around for other deer before you draw. A second deer in the brush could bust you sending everyone running.

Its a rush and good luck!

The advice for height is one that I think is critical. Especially if your in a tree that doesn't have a lot of cover. If I'm in a poplar or something, I am sitting at least 20' up. If you find your getting busted move your stand. It sucks but I've learned that big does are smart and remember. I really like pines because they provide a natural scent cover, protect you from the wind and you can't beat the cover. Know your shooting limits, be patient and let the deer provide the shot for you. Good Luck.

You guys are the best. The info I've gotten from going through the Tip of the Week posts and all the other searches I've done through past discussions in this forum have been invaluable.

Thanks for the tips here as well. Always helpful, I think, to ask a vet to think back on when they new a little less to apply what they know now.

Again, many thanks, and good luck (and safety) to everyone!

Be patient with your shot selection, I use to try and rush my shots but I found if you can slow things down and wait a little longer a shot will present itself. This is more if the deer are slowly feeding around you, every situation is differnt so try and be prepared for anything. I've also been too patient and passed up shots I could have made for a little better angle and basically missed my opportunity but that is what happens when bow hunting.

One thing I practice is to draw my bow back as slow as possible, it can be difficult but it works great for deer feeding out in the open. I have drawn on does feed under my tree as close as 7 yards doing this.

Something else I might add is don't pull too much weight. A lot of people think you need to be pulling 70+ lbs and that's not the case. Pull what you're comfortable with. If you are getting fatigued from pulling the bow back 3 or 4 times in a row it's probably too much. The right weight will help to increase your accuracy and that's what really matters in the woods.