• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Moon on Saturday for opener

USPENAMC

I typically do not go out until the highs are about 55 and the nights are below 45. Yes, I have to wait but thats ok with me.

I have never followed the moon phases much at all. I do know one thing and thats when its a full moon, I will not hunt as it seems that the deer move later at night and at different times.

I have read that hunting during the new moon can be very good if a few things fall in place.

Good luck this weekend.

I already sweat through the Wisconsin opener last weekend. I won't be doing that again till it cools down some. Guess I'll just fish a bit longer smile.

Good luck to all of you that will be out there.

I'll be sitting morning and evenings this Saturday and spend mid-day with the family. The heat can be good for me sometimes since there is a 30 acre pond bordering my property. I see deer mid-day drinking quite often. I've tried to figure out the moon thing before also but can't seem to put anything together. I think there are to many other influencial factors. This past full moon the deer were out in the fields early with plenty of day light left while recently they are not out until it's completely dark out. I just hunt when I can now!

Cool, thanks for the different responses. I myself go out as much as I can when I can morning, mid day, evening or all day it doesnt matter. Whatever time I have to hunt Ill try to do so. Last year I did not take a deer although I did see quite a few just not in range. The ones in range I had no clear shot or I didnt feel comfortable taking the shot. This is my 3rd year and still learning the ropes of bow hunting. I just wanted to know what you all thought about the moon phase and the weather. I did hear about that cool front coming in on tuesday hope it sticks. Now if it were to move in Sat morning or around noon time wow it would be great.

I started using trail cameras a few years back and it made a huge difference in trying to plan hunting times for when deer were moving through my area. I could track a number of deer, what time they moved and what deer were grouped together. For example, I could see a certain doe and know that she traveled with two fawns and a spike buck. So when that doe walked into my shooting lane I knew there were other deer close by. Pretty much every time like clock work the other deer would filter in a minute later. It made my first bow season last year a succesful one and built up some confidence. I'm also lucky I hunt property that I live on so I watch all the field movements around my property and can feel safe about leaving cameras out from early August through hunting season without getting stolen.

Good luck this year!

Mike it's nice to see your bowhunting. This is Brent. I keep trying to get your Dad to do it, but no luck yet. Drove by the Foix fields a couple of times and saw alot of deer, but nothing with antlers on their heads. That area would be perfect for your Dad to bowhunt before the rifle season starts. A trophy is bound to be around there with all those does.

Looking forward to going out Saturday am, the new moon sure can't hurt. It will be fine in the morning. Don't really like evening sits in warm weather, but my son's got a FB game at 6:00 Saturday night anyway, so that pretty well takes care of that.

Hey Brent... Ya, I've tried talking him into it also but he's thinking of trying muzzle loader instead. The Foix's property has a number of great bowhunting locations and some nice really bucks roaming around there. Plus he would get out before it gets pressured. I'll have to get in touch with you and get the dogs out hunting or at least wet a line. I could use about 3 months worth of September/October to fit it all in!

I sat opening morning in Wisconsin last week. Sorry, not gonna deal with the bugs and sweat again as long as the fishing stays good. grin

Sounds like we got a good cool down coming next week, as soon as that shows I'll be hitten' it hard.

good luck to everyone and be safe out there. Take lots of pictures and wish you all a successfull hunt. Whatever your goals are this season. Mine is to be out there as much as I can and hopefully see my brother harvest something this year. Hopefully I can get one too but thats secondary. I hope to see more deer out there even if not in range. I hope that I can actually record a hunt this time around or at least some deer from the stand.