• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Washing Boat Carpet

Juan Grande

Just got the boat out of storage and I'm going to try to wash the carpet this weekend. I was thinking of a bucket of water, a scrub brush and wet vac. I have access to a power washer too which I might try.

My question is, should I put soap or cleaner in the water? Just wondering if this will leave some kind of soap residue or scent on the carpet that would deter fish from biting if it got on my line, lures, etc?

Thanks!

I would use the power washer on a lower pressure setting with plain warm water. If you have any stains left after the dirt is washed away, then use a soap solution.

You never know when there might be a chemical in a cleaner that doesn't agree with your carpet.

Steve

I've already got carpet dirty after 3 trips to Red Wing this spring. Was also contemplating a carpet cleaning soon. Might use a carpet cleaner / vacuum sans the cleaner. NOTE TO SELF: NEXT BOAT HAS NO CARPET.

I use a pressure washer with a lower setting. After that I use a carpet cleaner for spot cleaning.

Make sure you spot check somewhere to make sure the cleaner won't leave a spot.

thats what we do. gets the job done and then some

Any soap will work fine but just don't use a solvent type cleaner to de-stain your carpets. It may eat away at the adhesive underneath. There are lot's of solvent type carpet spotters on the market...just read label carefully.

The detergents in soap will dissolve the junk. The bubbles lift it from the carpet. Thats what bubbles do and thats why there are bubbles. So now what are you going to do? Well if you boat is sitting level where is all the dirt and junk going to go? Nowhere unless you jack up the tongue of the trailer as high as you can.

Now that stuff can run downhill. Use water starting at the top and work your way to the bottom. Repeat.

PS: there aren't many detergents that'll ruin boat carpet. I like one with a Fresh Scent.

I have always thought about trying this and this year I was lazy enough to do it. Most boat carpet has a extremely low nap with no pad so I don't think you have to worry about dirt getting buried in the fibres.

I picked a quiet time and went to the quarter car wash. Pulled the plug in the boat took the trailer off the ball and cranked it up high. I climbed in and started out with the high pressure soap and finished with the high pressure rinse.

The carpet in the Lund looks good as new and all the old bait and dirt wedged between the floor and boat side walls for years have finallly been blasted out. Years past I vaccumed and cleaned the carpet by hand, no more. The car wash takes half the time does twice the job with half the effort. Wear old shoes you may get wet.

Most boat carpet has a extremely low nap with no pad so I don't think you have to worry about dirt getting buried in the fibres.

Find a sunny day and park it in the sun to dry.

I used my parents carpet cleaner vacuum on the Sportfish I just bought and it worked great to clean the carpet. It was kind of a pain jumping in and out of the boat to fill and empty the water/dirty water chamber but I will be doing it again when it needs it.

I used the solvent that came with it and it worked fine on the tan carpet. Next is the truck!!

The self serve car wash approach has always worked for me. I never use soap, just the "rinse" option. For really nasty stains (grease, ketchup, bernaisse sauce,etc.)I pretreat with Goof Off, but I dilute the same spot immediately with lots of water (as solvents will eat your carpet adhesives).

I have a pull out carpet in my boat that I spilled Gulp Alive juice on last fall. I got the stain out of the carpet, but I can't get the residue off the rubber backing. Any thoughts on how to remove the oily residue?