• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fav hook for big creatures

TonkaBass

Gamakatsu....

I am fairly certain that all the hooks in my box have come from a Gamakatsu package. EWG's and EWG superline's in 3/0, 4/0, or 5/0 depending on the plastic and the application, in both black and red. Octopus hooks in different sizes and colors for many app's as well. To many to name them all.

Owner, if they don't have the hook I am looking for than its Mustad.... I would rather throw eagle claws then Gamakatsu, there hook point rolls way to easy, you can't resharpen it, they are more expensive then even Owner, the barb is set back way to far on the point of the hook, I think people get way to hung up on Gammies being the sharpest out of the box, fish with one for ten minutes and then put it up against a Mustad, The Owner hooks are wicked, that cutting point slices in like no other, very little pressure needed for a good hookset with those!

Mostly Mustads here. Except for Beaver baits. I lost a ton of fish last year in tournaments with a 4/0 or 5/0 wide gap. I am switching to the Owner 5/0 straight hook with shrink wrap. I will let you know, but can see a big advantage.

Have rarely experinced that problem with Gammy hooks. (point bending over) Several multi fish days in a row using the same hook with no problem. I like the heavy wire used in the Super Line hooks, allows you to boat flip bass without worrying about the gap opening. If not Gammy then Owner second, Mustad third, but eagle claw is way down the list for me, not even out of the bargain bin.